It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Just Sent a Message to Try to Talk to Aliens on Another World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I, for one, would like to welcome our new alien overlords and promise to assist in turning in any humans that don't bow down to our new galactic leaders.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You may wish to reconsider that decision....

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
why send it?
To paraphrase what Jill Tartar said about searching for an alien signal, the chances of finding such a signal if we search for it are difficult to calculate, but the chances of finding the signal if we don't search for it are zero. So at least if you look, you have a chance, instead of no chance.

Something similar could be said about sending a message and hoping for a reply. Sure we've sent out other radio and EM signals but the signal to noise ratio wouldn't be as good and a radar sweeping for air traffic may not necessarily be interpreted as an intelligent signal, whereas information about chemistry etc probably has a better chance of not being mistaken for something natural.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I often think about the possibility that some day, we will be able to develop a pair of quantum modems, if you will. Each in orbit around another planet and Earth. RF in/out locally and entanglement between them. Really far fetched, but would not something like this be the only way we could ever effectively transmit and receive between distances like that ? That some day, still seems far off.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Bad idea!

It's like walking into deep tropical water with bloody chickens strapped to your nads.

You don't know there are sharks, but if there are, you f***** up!

I agree sending out a message into space isn't really a great idea. Nature and humans are known already to be savage and unforgiving

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

To paraphrase what Jill Tartar said about searching for an alien signal, the chances of finding such a signal if we search for it are difficult to calculate, but the chances of finding the signal if we don't search for it are zero. So at least if you look, you have a chance, instead of no chance.

Oh, I'm all for message in a bottle, the voyager disks are like that.

Nothing short of sentimental.

We're laying tracks out to 50 light years so far.

"Ohhh, Luuucy!"

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I, for one, would like to welcome our new alien overlords and promise to assist in turning in any humans that don't bow down to our new galactic leaders.

Given the trajectory of the human race it might be better for the planet to be rid of us. Perhaps the Earth would benefit from a new tenant.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They are already here. They need allies. But you, you Collaborate!

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sometimes I do wonder, if the messages sent out into space are being sent to us. The people who get the message, could be some astronaut who left earth two centuries before and is coming back to earth right now.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

originally posted by: gortex
I agree with the school of thought that says until we know more about the dangers that might exist out there we are probably best to keep quite until we have the means to defend ourselves should we receive unwanted attention.

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Bad idea!

It's like walking into deep tropical water with bloody chickens strapped to your nads.

You don't know there are sharks, but if there are, you f***** up!

a reply to: LABTECH767

I hate to break it to you, but we've been broadcasting radio into space for over a century now. Since the deployment of Ballistic Missile Early Warning radars more than 50 years ago, our signals have been much stronger than the Norwegian signal. Many of the air search radars on modern navy ships are more powerful. A radio astronomer told me more than 30 years ago that the Earth brighter than the Sun at radio wavelengths.

At this point, any message from us to the aliens should begin with "Sorry for the spam."

Sorry but there is one caveat you miss out, those older radio signal's were probably lost due to attenuation over distance this signal however is focused and aimed so will reach it's source with relatively less attenuation over distance, this mean's that those earlier signals would be unintelligible and perhaps even undetectable but if there was someone listening and pointing a radio telescope at the earth on that world however beyond likely that would be then they would probably actually be able to receive the Norwegian transmission.

But just to correct you on another matter, that was not my point, my allegorical tale was to point out one possible scenario, only one but one that may be real for all we know.

As we move into the digital age our signals' get weaker because we don't need to pump all those watts into boosting amplitude as you know, ET may not even have the ability to decode older analogue if have followed a similar path and they have already left that stage behind but then again maybe they will.
edit on 18-11-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Gee whiz, maybe they speak English as they do in Star Trek and Star Wars!

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Gee whiz, maybe they speak English as they do in Star Trek and Star Wars!

Most of them will have British accents.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yikes!
I imagine myself as a little baby bird crying out for my mommy to come feed me.
But she takes so long for my noisy mouth to calm---
soon I see an eagle/vulture and his talons carry me away.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I just want to add these two short videos to the thread, it's pretty fecking cool in my opinion

Maybe they should aim a message towards Oumuamua just incase

edit on 21-11-2017 by Lady_Tuatha because: to add

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They might but it might not be a good idea to mention it...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join