It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuns Puffs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The similarly-named French-Canadian dessert pets de soeurs (literally "farts of [religious] sisters") is sometimes confused with this dessert, but actually is a completely different pastry. ... The origin of the English name "nun's puffs" is said to be a mystery.

TextThe lightness of deep fried beignets is said to have inspired the French name pets de nonne (literally "nun's farts").[6] The French Wikipedia identifies an earlier term for the dessert, paix-de-nonne ("nun's peace"), which is pronounced the same as pets de nonne, and likely the origin of the later term. The origin of the English name "nun's puffs" is said to be a mystery.[3] A certain butter mixture is called "nun's butter", made with butter, sugar, wine and nutmeg.[9] Nun's farts are one of several foods that reference the church (others include nun's sighs, angel food cake, cardinal mousse, hermit's food, twelfth-night cake, scripture cake, Christmas cake, Quaker cake, Jerusalem pudding, and devil's food cake).[10] See also[edit]

edit on 17-11-2017 by GeneralMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That sounds vaguely dirty or a brand of cigarettes for Catholics.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: GeneralMayhem

nonne (literally "nun's farts").[6

This religious reference takes an interesting tone if you translate it to Spanish. Fart means "Pedo".

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

LOL, "pediche" is what we call people who blow the winds. Which is a complete butchering of the word to create a double meaning.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Trueman

LOL, "pediche" is what we call people who blow the winds. Which is a complete butchering of the word to create a double meaning.

Blow the winds .. lol

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As for the name, English cookery knows a type of pastry called "puff pastry", which is very buttery.
I would expect "a puff" to be a similar bakery item. I think I remember buying "cream puffs" (that is, pastry with a cream filling) from bakeries in the past.

P.S. I've even discovered a recipe for cream puffs.
www.kingarthurflour.com...

edit on 17-11-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I make these all the time. 😀
You can fill them with cream, pudding, custard, top them with ganache.
Ive filled them with cooked apples and topped them with caramel and chopped nuts.

AKA pate a choux (pronounced pata show) it's the basic recipe for cream puffs and eclairs.

I still like them just dusted with sugar hot out of the oven.

edit on 11172017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

These are very eggy and moist not shattery crisp like puff pastry. (A gift from heaven and thank God they sell it frozen) . The pastry you get for an eclair. Now I want one...
Time to bake.
I made a yummy gingerbread cake with lemon glaze last week. Gone...

allrecipes.com...

If anyone want to try it.
I'm going to pull out my old recipe for nuns puffs. It's old, hand written in a book I started before I was married. ( 36 years ago) and jot it down here.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This recipe was published in Better Homes and Gardens back in 79 or 80.

Nuns Puffs

1/2 C butter
1C milk
3/4 C all purpose flour
4 beaten eggs
Sugar for sprinkling.

Grease muffin tins well (especially in the edge these puff.)in a 2 quart sauce pan melt butter add milk and bring to a boil add all flour at once and stir vigorously until it forms a ball.
Off heat cool about five minutes then add eggs one at a time incorporating each one well before adding the next. Mix until smooth and shiny. Fill muffin cups half full, sprinkle with sugar and bake in a 375° oven for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.

To make cream puffs or eclairs pipe onto parchment paper ( do not sprinkle with sugar) bake as directed above. cool and fill.

Happy holidays

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Hi silly going to try that recipe as it sounds very tempting . for the advise

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

And it's super easy.
If you make eclairs make mini ones and serve on a tray dusted with powdered sugar and people will applaud you as a pastry chef. They look damn impressive.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have a recipe to make napoleons from frozen puff pastry if you're interested. Easy but takes assembly time. I decorate them with pink and white icing and they are beautiful to see.

new topics

top topics

join