It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you think being transsexual is a mental disorder...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What are your opinions on homosexuality? I personally think that homosexuality is a disorder but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be acceptable. We have a plethora of acceptable diseases that carry no social stigma. The difference is the severity. At least in my mind. If you want to know my opinion on transsexuals than see my other tread, I can't link on mobile.

Regardless, no ill will meant. Just learning.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Meh first world problems .

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
How about pedo's and beastiality.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

You really opened a can of worms. Maybe just move this to the mud pit now?

Anyhow, yes, I do believe being transexual is a form of mental disorder, along with many other sexual disorders. Some of these disorders may cause harm in oneself, others, or are mostly benign. And as such, they should be accepted, tolerated or treated accordingly.

Kleptomania is also regarded as a mental disorder, but that doesn't mean that I must accept someone stealing from me.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I wouldn't say a disorder or bad wiring or anything like that.

Personally, I believe it could be something learned by a person's surroundings, a trauma induced choice, the way a person is brought up, influences, lifestyle choice, sexual desire, etc.

I don't believe it's genetic. I don't believe in the "born that way" ideology. I don't believe it's something broken in a person. I honestly believe it's one or more of the things I've listed or other similar situations.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If you are able to live a rich and fulfilling life then you don't have a mental disorder. A mental disorder is something that gets in the way of your normal functioning and happiness.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
If you are able to live a rich and fulfilling life then you don't have a mental disorder. A mental disorder is something that gets in the way of your normal functioning and happiness.

What about a "perfectly happy, rich, fulfilling" serial rapist? I suppose legal problems may eventually be a result, but until then?

I guess it also depends on your definition of "normal functioning". I suspect we may differ there.
edit on 11/8/17 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
What is a mental disorder anyway? We all have issues. Even you. Yes you OP.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

The problem with the premise of your OP is that it specifies "transgenderism" instead of "Gender Identity Disorder," as it was called in the DSM-IV, or "Gender Dysphoria," as it's now called in DSM-V (which was published in 2013 and replaced and updated DSM-IV).

"Gender Identity Disorder" referred to "transgenderism" proper as a mental disorder.

"Gender Dysphoria" only refers now to the discomfort and issues that stem from being transgender.

Basically, under DSM-IV, being transgender was categorized as a mental disorder; under DSM-V, only the resulting symptoms are considered a disorder, now.

But as the American Psychiatric Association points out when talking about Gender Dysphoria:

Gender dysphoria is not the same as gender nonconformity, which refers to behaviors not matching the gender norms or stereotypes of the gender assigned at birth. Examples of gender nonconformity (also referred to as gender expansiveness or gender creativity) include girls behaving and dressing in ways more socially expected of boys or occasional cross-dressing in adult men. Gender nonconformity is not a mental disorder. Gender dysphoria is also not the same being gay/lesbian.

So, trying to compare someone's opinion on homosexuality versus transgenderism isn't a fair comparison, because it's absolutely not the same thing.

In any event, be whomever the hell that you want to be, just don't legislate on behalf of such a tiny minority of people in a way that it negatively affects many, many more.

Be who you want to be, until it spills into other people's rights, mental disorder or not.

edit on 8-11-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
A mental disorder is something that gets in the way of your normal functioning and happiness.

That's not true at all--or, at least, it way oversimplifies things.

There are plenty of people with mental disorders who live perfectly happy lives in which they can function just fine.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I see a world of difference in the two situations and have always been surprised that those who identify themselves as gay have been so ready to allow trans people to hitch up their wagon. I have no idea of the causes of transgenderism but feel that it is too easy to just accept it without being aware if it is causing any harm. This is particularly true for children, imo.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen

Kleptomania is also regarded as a mental disorder, but that doesn't mean that I must accept someone stealing from me.

Stealing from someone is hardly the same as consensual sex.
edit on 8-11-2017 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Exactly. And consensual sex is hardly the same as rape. Different disorders, requiring different levels of acceptance.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Exactly. And consensual sex is hardly the same as rape. Different disorders, requiring different levels of acceptance.

You compared it to stealing, is that ever consensual?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

You compared it to stealing, is that ever consensual?

There are several sexual mental disorders that are associated with behaviors that are not consensual, for example, pedophilia, beastiality, and rapists. I wasn't comparing any particular disorder to Kleptomania. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm not sure we're in disagreement.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Does the lgbt crowd support transracial people? Genuine curiosity

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I can't accept when people try and blur the lines between male and female. If you are born a man, you are a man(dont care if you gay) but when you start trying to be a woman, or try to turn into a woman, then I really start to question your sanity.

I sure hope all you SJW's don't end up copping a feel on a tranny the next time you are at a bar or something.. I wonder how you'll react.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You use disease loosely here. Disease means the body isn't well or at ease. Gay people are not sick or unable to live normal lives.
They are normal people with sexual attraction different from you. They might be bi, they might be full on gay, but their sexual orientation has nothing to with their physical or mental health.
edit on 8-11-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Nobody would choose that life.

Look how they are treated.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Considering we treat people who believe they're a race they clearly aren't, people who believe they're another species of animal, people who believe they're infants/children, people who believe they're aliens, and people who believe they're Jesus Christ all like mental patients who desperately need treatment, why should a woman who believes she is a man or a man who believes he is a woman receive anything different? Of course it is a form of mental disorder. Just because medical practices have been developed to change the external appearance of sexual organs does not in any way change simple facts. The medical field has also developed breast implants... doesn't mean a flat chested woman's genetics are magically changed to carry the DD gene and pass it on to offspring because she got a pair of silicone orbs surgically implanted. Medical procedures have been developed to implant fangs into a human mouth, doesn't make someone a bonafide vampire. This idiot:

Is not a cat, despite hundreds of thousands of dollars of surgery to make him look like one.

Don't get me wrong, if an adult wants to mutilate their body or live as whatever they want to live as, that's their business completely. BUT they do not have any right to expect the rest of the world to coddle their damaged perceptions and join them in their lies. That's where issues arise. It would be like me demanding everyone call me "King Burd" and speak of me as royalty... sans an actual royal pedigree, it isn't happening and I'm sane enough to acknowledge that and tailor my expectations to accept that fact.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join