It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
The word "like" when it is like used ya know like as like every like other like word in like every like thing AHHHHHHHH!!! I can't even complete that sentence.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

I recently learned about the Gov. creating that title. I honestly thought that's what it was called, that and cannabis. I agree though, cannabis is better. I think they use the word "recreational" because cannabis is used as medicine as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: nonspecific

Words are innocent. As it turns out, we are just irritating ourselves.

We are in fact annoying others as we do not use words that irritate ourselves.

The fact that you must first hear, understand and process the word proves it is you who irritates yourself.

The birth of a new conspiracy: Folks are now being triggered to self-irritate!

"It's terrible!", says someone who looks like a victim.

Some other guy standing by a pick-up says:" They just came right up to us, and started some chit-chat. Seemed innocent enough. Then they started using the word 'Actually', then again, then over and over. It was actually this, and actually that, and they just wouldn't stop. We tried to change the subject, but they wouldn't stop! It was just terrible!

It’s true. Unless we are sorcerers, we cannot manipulate matter with words, and that includes people’s emotions. The emotions begin and end at the person having them.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The fact that you must first hear, understand and process the word proves it is you who irritates yourself.

Some other guy standing by a pick-up says:" They just came right up to us, and started some chit-chat. Seemed innocent enough. Then they started using the word 'Actually', then again, then over and over. It was actually this, and actually that, and they just wouldn't stop. We tried to change the subject, but they wouldn't stop! It was just terrible!

It’s true. Unless we are sorcerers, we cannot manipulate matter with words, and that includes people’s emotions. The emotions begin and end at the person having them.

And this thread is just a general discussion with good humor.

Why the need for an intellectual buzzkill?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Because I’m a buzzkill.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Killjoy.
edit on 5-11-2017 by VictorVonDoom because: Late again

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

It's ok man. Was just having fun.
We are responsible for our own emotions, yet we communicate with the outside world as well.
We react to other's words, and this leads to us forming our own ideas. We are interacting here.

Is anyone tired of seeing ATS headlines containing the word: "Proof"?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Because I’m a buzzkill.

I chose to be offended at that word, only 'cause you said it though

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Or CONFIRMED
edit on 5-11-2017 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
on the internet, 'triggered, sheeple, red pilled' things like that.

though not as annoying as people who need a paragraph to say a sentance.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Or quote an entire page just to say 1 sentence.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

Those annoy me, too. Also included are other new words (buzzwords) or phrases that suddenly become a fad, like the acronym 'SJW' and 'virtue signaling,' etc.

They are mostly used in propagandist ways, and like triggered, many people latch on.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Triggered has pretty much lost its meaning.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

I HATE the phrase " Going Forward"--- That is the only we can go, there is no need to say it

I remember when that became popular (or at least the "moving forward" version).

It was just after Obama won the White House. CNN had just spent 8 years criticizing Bush over various issues. They realized that Obama was just going to carry on many of the same policies. "Going Forward" became the buzz phrase to mean, "Forget about the past. Forget about the weapons of mass destruction lies and forget about promises to bring troops home and closing Gitmo, and immigration reform, etc. Let's just move forward."

That phrase still irks me today.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend

originally posted by: Admitted
Two words I see repeatedly in message boards but NEVER hear in conversation: methinks and indeed.

Ugh.

"methinks" should only be used during inner monologues.

Or by men in tweed with an unlit pipe in the late 1800's

Indubitably

Phrases I'd like to see vanish are Empower (empowered, empowering, etc.) and Raising Awareness.

Anyone who says they are empowering someone is at best just giving them a temporary warm fuzzy feeling. They are not giving them any real power.

Raising Awareness is another feel good phrase that means nothing. If you are marching to raise awareness for a cause, do you really think people are not aware of your cause? Do you think people wouldn't know what breast cancer is if you didn't wear a pink t-shirt? Do all those football players think that people are unaware of police corruption in the US?

Remember when there was a multi-city women's march to raise awareness for something? I'm still not clear what they were raising awareness for, but I'll bet nothing changed. Nothing ever does if you're just trying to raise awareness, because people are already aware of the problem.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Those annoy me, too. Also included are other new words (buzzwords) or phrases that suddenly become a fad, like the acronym 'SJW' and 'virtue signaling,' etc.

They are mostly used in propagandist ways, and like triggered, many people latch on.

Virtue-signalling accurately describes the phenomena of signalling virtue to the fellow members of the status quo.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Virtue-signalling accurately describes the phenomena of signalling virtue to the fellow members of the status quo.

Never said it was inaccurate, just annoying.

It is a phrase that has suddenly become more common for whatever reason, perhaps because of its repeated use by the favorite pundit or on the blog of choice, so many other people start using it. It's a fad.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Thingy -

Hate that word with a vengeance.

"Did you get that...uh...oh...thingy...uh that thingy thing...you know"

It makes my skin pimple and my fists ball up.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Literally.
what gets me is the incorrect use of irony. Or ironically.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I get more annoyed with misuse of words than words, themselves, as a rule. If I had to list any, top ones would be these modern inventions, tossed about by SJW types, talking about race, or sex, or whatever, in terms no one ever needed or wanted. Well, those, and being called "racist" for simply being white.

Worst confusion I have seen was someone on another thread who was very confused about the difference between "virtually" and "virtual". I stated that something was "virtually" the same as something else, and she started going off about how it as real, not "virtual", as though I was referring to VR tech or something. I even posted screen shots from a dictionary, to explain the difference to her, and she still argued. The whole thing was surreal. One of the kids still makes jokes about it, to this day, and it was years ago.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join