It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Talk Vinyl Records....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
It's funny. We were always looking for a better sound. 8 tracks and cassettes came along. Then CD's. Turns out we had the perfect sound all along. I sure do miss vinyl.

Were 8 tracks and cassettes marketed as "better sound?" I know CDs were, but it seems like the biggest factor in 8 tracks and tapes were their portability. With 12" records you were pretty limited where you could listen, but tapes allowed people to be able to listen to albums in vehicles and on the go, instead of relying on radio. The thing that bugged me about tapes was having to rewind. How did they ever become popular? lol

As with CDs I used to buy, I love being able to take the plastic off, open the record, smell it, admire it, put the needle on and just sit and listen. All that is lost with digital downloads and purchases...

Reminds me of a family siting around a Victrola is the parlor.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Nah, it was definitely a portability thing. The first thing I would do with a new record was dub a cassette for my car.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have a very nice vinyl collection. I listened to Soundgarden, Portishead, Spoon and The White Stripes on my player yesterday. Sounds sooo good.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Are you peaking at my collection lol?
I have all lynch's works, huge fan, Goblin are another - I love album for the movie Phenomena

Ha! I have several Lynch's soundtracks on CD, but nothing on vinyl yet. The vinyl list keeps growing, lol. Phenomena was a superb Argento movie anyway, and I do recall the ST being comparatively creepy.

It's a bit of an addiction but I have to say I worse with books, buying them and never reading them but continually buying them and only reading 10% of them, at least with Vinyl it's very little effort and can be enjoyed quickly.

Yeah, I'm the same with books, too. I have actually run out of shelf space, and need to build another bookshelf. You're correct about vinyl. Whereas books are more active, or hot media, music is most passive, or cold. Since I am always listening to music when I'm not working or sleeping, it's easy to just throw a record on while chilling, cooking, or cleaning.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

My brother in law recently passed away and he was a huge music buff.
My wife got his music collection......I would say approximately 5000 vinyl records and 15,000 CDs.
I haven't had a record player in 30 years but I have been thinking about getting one for her now.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Jesus, that's a lot of music, lol.

You should definitely get her one, if she's into the records. Even if she doesn't, I'm sure you'll enjoy some of those records. It's not like it's a huge expense, and would at least allow you two to listen to some of that stuff where it would otherwise just sit.

Dooo iiiit.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: intrepid
It's funny. We were always looking for a better sound. 8 tracks and cassettes came along. Then CD's. Turns out we had the perfect sound all along. I sure do miss vinyl.

I was thinking the other day about the voyager mission and the record they included and I was a bit embaressed about the fact it was vinyl and so outdated.

It would be cool if an advanced society found it and were like "whoa the sound quality on this is awesome, so far advanced compared to our crappy holographically digitised versions"

"These guys are waaaaayyyyy ahead of us technologically!!!!"

That could be a Twilight Zone episode - space probe burns through a planets atmosphere and lands in a field. Farmers come out to investigate the crater and find the probe. Inside it has a collection of Earth vinyl records, cassette tapes and
books.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So friends what's the best way to dispose of a big vinly collection?

I spent about 20 years picking thrrough thrift stores, yard sales, and swap meets, mainly looking for books - And for years had an online business, again mainly selling books.

The records I bought for myself - A lot of rock [and some jazz and classical] from the 50s till about 2000 when I first got on the internet - then I basically stopped buying records.

I'm back into music now - BUT I'm tired and old so I can't be bothered to keep changing records - I go online pick an aritist and title, say Steppenwolf [Born to be Wild] and the built in YouTube DJ plays it and then selects a bunch of similar hits.

As long as I can keep remembering artists, especially from way back when - I get them free. - And I don't have to bother
my arthritis continually changing records.

There is a record dealer right nearby - But my experience with dealers when it came to books - They will pick the best and leave you with the rest.

So what is the best way to dispose of the whole collection [about 10 boxes of vinyl LPs and maybe one full box of 45s]
And a large and heavy portable stereo wtih detachable speakers [was working good last time I used it about 17 years ago].

Should I advertise the whole collection on 'Craig's list' or anyone have a better idea.

Thanks,
-AlienView

edit on 4-11-2017 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

What happened was that some greedy people took over the airwaves and tried to push music like Justin Timberlake and Justin Beiber or whatever else they were getting paid off and thats all they heard for over a decade. Real music was lost and now people are discovering it.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

There is Discogs if you want to sell them separately.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Put em on discogs and give us a link!.
I'm always in the market to expand my collection!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

So friends what's the best way to dispose of a big vinly collection?

Well...if you want to make money from disposal, there are plenty of online means. Either list them individually on places like Amazon or eBay, or Craigslist, or sell them as a lot for a set price.

But if you're not concerned with making money, call some libraries and see if they take donated records. Some larger libraries have vinyl for people to come listen to, and it goes to a good cause.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed

Yeah, I'm interested to see what's in that collection, too, including the classical and jazz.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: denybedoomed

Yeah, I'm interested to see what's in that collection, too, including the classical and jazz.

Here is the problem - In asking general information i'm not doing anything wrong as to forum rules.

If I started taliking about what i have and prices ATS might see it as violation - I don't know?

If you want to contact ATS and if they say if it is OK - I'll go into details as to what I have and how much I want.

Needlesssly to say if ATS OK's it and the records and record player sell because of ATS - I will make a donation
of 10% of the final sale price to ATS.

I want to sell them all at once - no pick and choose.

If ATS OKs it you can conact me through private messaging - I think there is a link to do this?

edit on 6-11-2017 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

If I started taliking about what i have and prices ATS might see it as violation - I don't know?

Yeah, you can't publicly solicit or sell via ATS. Against T&C.

I want to sell them all at once - no pick and choose.

I would suggest somewhere online as a lot, then, as has been mentioned, if you don't want 'pick and choose.'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join