It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Puppy Advice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Great looking dogs....and sorry about the loss of the third.

Yes, independent, loving, and stubborn.....both our Huskies were stubborn...and strong.
Siberian Huskies aren't protective like Akitas, though....least ours weren't.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I would definitely agree with you and my experience with Huskies is that they're not nearly as protective of the rest of their pack as the Akitas are. I say that with one caveat though. When I was born, my parents already had a female husky who looked after me like I was her own puppy lol. When I was about 6 months nuts old, my parents went out to dinner and then to a bowling alley or something. I don't know for sure, it was the early 70's so I'm relating the story second hand. My grandfather came over to watch me for the night while they went out but the night was cut a little short. I was in my playpen and started crying, at that age it was probably hunger or time for a diaper change... my grandfather had to call them at the restaurant or bar or wherever it was my parents were are because I had been crying for a half hour and he couldn't get to me because Kimo positioned herself between the playpen and my grandpa and anytime he made a move to try to pick me up she wouldn't let him anywhere near me, the hair on her back was standing straight up and she was snarling at him.

None of the other Huskies I've owned ever did anything remotely like that and they were the most laid back dogs in the world. As was Kimo 99.999% of the time. I never knew her to show an angry bone in her body. But if she thought I was in trouble and someone she didn't know well was there, she was going to stand her ground. She was one of the best friends I had growing up and shadowed me as a kid the way Lila does now.

I went to the Cahokia Mounds and then Colorado a few weeks back so I was gone for 8 days and because I'm home all day with them and they're used to having someone around at all times, poor Lila had a week long anxiety attack because I wasn't around and when I got home she was likel velcro for the first week. I've been a huge fan of Huskies and Akitas for a long time now and honestly can't picture myself not having one or the other as a part of my family. Even with their headstrong stubbornness. Best dogs I've had in my family and to call them smart is a drastic understatement.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar
Kimo identified with you as someone to protect, that is for sure.

Another thing I have learned....no two dogs of the same breed have the same temperament....I don't care what the temperament of the breed is supposed to be.

Both of our Huskies came from the same paternal line....and they were as different as day and night.
Both gentle enough, but one didn't like to be touched much except my me, unless it was her idea.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Absolutely, stereotyping a dog based on breed is just dumb. Dogs are like people. They all have their own individual personalities and their own quirks and idiosyncrasies and they have their own emotions, likes, dislikes etc... getting to know a dog is like getting to know new people. They're all individuals and should
Be treated as such.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke
a reply to: djz3ro

Make sure she gets vacinated and microchipped.

She's booked in for her vaccinations and there's a free microchipping service going locally soon.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join