It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired ‘Navy SEAL’ praising Trump on Fox News was a fake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Retired ‘Navy SEAL’ praising Trump on Fox News was a fake
Hey look. Fox News was caught fabricating news again (ie fake news). This time they were engaging in some stolen valor by reporting on a Navy Seal, Vietnam vet and 2 time Purple Heart awardee who happened to be a huge Trump fan. None of that was true though. Well the Trump fan part was probably true.

Fox News ran a story on Oct. 8 about a decorated Vietnam War Navy SEAL and glass artist who created an enormous presidential glass seal he hoped to give to President Trump. On Thursday, 11 days later, the network retracted the story after being told the Trump supporter never served in the SEALs or in Vietnam, much less earned commendations for his service.

In the segment, John Garafalo said he served in the Vietnam War with the U.S. Navy SEAL team. Fox News reported that he also received two Purple Hearts and about two dozen other medals for his service.

The man’s claimed record turned out to be a fabrication. It was first discovered by former Navy SEALs. Both these SEALs and family members of Garofalo contacted Fox News about the story, according to the Navy Times.

Don Shipley, a retired SEAL, told the Navy Times that he contacted Fox on Oct. 9, the day after the story ran.

But the story was still on the news outlet’s Facebook page on Oct. 19. By then it had amassed 1.5 million views.

It took them 11 days to run the correction on Facebook and they still haven't gotten around to do it on tv yet. That will happen on Sunday. Check out how they were sucking up to this jackhole.

“Garofalo is used to working under pressure,” Llenas said. “The Vietnam War veteran served seven years as a member of the nation’s first Navy SEAL team. He was awarded 22 commendations, including two Purple Hearts.”

“You are a hero,” Llenas told him.

“God bless John Garofalo,” another anchor said. “We certainly hope maybe the president is listening.”

I think it would've been best if he (Trump) had tuned this particular segment out.

Full disclosure. This isn't full blown stolen valor. He really DID serve in the Navy for four years from 1963 to 1967; he was just never a bad ass elite soldier and he never stepped foot in Vietnam.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So are you saying there aren't many many many US servicemen who support Trump?
I think military types by far voted for him.

+30 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Uh... No... I never said or suggested that at all. Where did you get that from?

+25 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If they intentionally posted a fake story, they should get slammed for it, forced to retract and apologize to the viewers.

By the way... when are you going to do OPs about all the fake, taken out of context stories, that CNN, MSNBC and the rest of the Left leaning media is pumping out?
Or is it ok as long as it's Anti Trump?

Keep picking sides...

Your owners are standing outside the cage and laughing their ass off.

+27 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I’ve come to expect nothing less from Fox News.

Not a lot of difference between intentionally allowing a false story to remain on Facebook for 11 days, garnering hits and influencing millions, than the way the Russian election hackers got their messaging across using Facebook during the run-up to the election.

Go figure.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Yet another case of piss poor journalism. Where do these idiots that run with these stories go to school? I want to make sure my kids never go to any of them. Does nobody actually research or corroborate anything anymore? This should have been very simple to find out prior to air.

Pretty sure unbiased, well researched reporting will never happen again in MSM.

+34 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Why should I do threads about those companies? There are plenty of conservative posters who are more than eager to do it for me. I'm just providing the balance that they don't provide by only focusing on the liberal media. Just like you are doing the "what about the liberal media?" thing to deflect from my OP topic.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Did you not read the first line of my post?
"Balance"?..............sigh. nevermind. Enjoy that wheel.

+31 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Not really. I just skimmed it when I realized you were just trying to do that smug, "I know everything and you are just a sheep" arrogance thing.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

How about an example?
Just one.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's only ok to point out *left wing* fake news. The opposite is just being petty and immature. Haven't you been paying attention?

edit on 20-10-2017 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

+31 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Always funny when the first comment on a thread about fake news is more fake news.

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Always funny when the first comment on a thread about fake news is more fake news.

If you ever need proof that people read what they want to read that post is a good example of it.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
He fooled Fox news, showed them medals etc, when Fox discovered he was a fraud they retracted the story and explained the error.

Possibility a set up. Maybe not.

Interesting

+27 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername
Fox didn't discover this. Some real ex-Seals did and called Fox out until Fox printed a retraction.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Shamrock6

If you ever need proof that people read what they want to read that post is a good example of it.

Usually any comment that starts with either "So are you saying..." or "So what you're saying is..." can usually be summed up as "I didn't bother to read what you actually wrote because I can't debate it so I'm going to pretend you said something entirely different and attack that instead."

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Fox should be ashamed.

The standards of journalism at this point are garbage.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

How about an example?
Just one.

Hahahahahahaha!

Are you kidding?

Well Russia hacking election grids, the rolling stone rape case, mattress girl, hands up dont shoot, rathers story on Bushs national guard service, Trump took down a bust of MLK, and many many more.

Surely you knew this?

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yep, the name of the game these days on ATS when the topic is too hard to discuss is to cook up a strawman. And if they are feeling really froggy they can season with a few ad hominems and top it off with a slippery slope or two for that extra flair.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Fox should be ashamed.

The standards of journalism at this point are garbage.

Yeah, kinda weak taking this guy's word and him showing medals as proof he was what he claimed to be. Real journalists concerned with credibility would have looked further but they ran with it anyway because they wanted the story.

The guy was a fraud and liar. Go figure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join