It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery of Ancient 50km Lunar Cave Raises Hopes for human Colonisation of Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Japan made the lunar cave discovery using Selenological and Engineering Explorer probe. Using radar they initially found the opening to be 50 meters wide and 50 meters deep leading to speculation that there could be a larger hollow and it is much, much larger.

The discovery, by Japan’s Selenological and Engineering Explorer (Selene) probe, comes as several countries vie to follow the US in sending manned missions to the moon.

Using a radar sounder system that can examine underground structures, the orbiter initially found an opening 50 metres wide and 50 metres deep, prompting speculation that there could be a larger hollow.
www.theguardian.com...

100 meters wide and 31 miles long and appears to be structurally sound. More over the rocks may contain water/ice for fuel.

This week scientists at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (Jaxa) confirmed the presence of a cave after examining the hole using radio waves.

The chasm, 50km (31 miles) long and 100 metres wide, appears to be structurally sound and its rocks may contain ice or water deposits that could be turned into fuel, according to data sent back by the orbiter, nicknamed Kaguya after the moon princess in a Japanese fairytale

3.5 billion years ago the volcanic tubes were formed, and perhaps would make a good base for "lunar cave men".

Jaxa believes the cave, located from a few dozen metres to 200 metres beneath an area of volcanic domes known as the Marius Hills on the moon’s near side, is a lava tube created during volcanic activity about 3.5bn years ago.
Advertisement

“We’ve known about these locations that were thought to be lava tubes … but their existence has not been confirmed until now,” said Junichi Haruyama, a senior researcher at Jaxa.

edit on 19-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The technological advancements due to the need to adapt existing technology's as well as creating new technology to better fit their new reality will hopefully change how we live here on earth.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Reminds me of this movie trailer:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

The chasm, 50km (31 miles) long and 100 metres wide, appears to be structurally sound and its rocks may contain ice or water deposits that could be turned into fuel, according to data sent back by the orbiter, nicknamed Kaguya after the moon princess in a Japanese fairytale

3.5 billion years ago the volcanic tubes were formed, and perhaps would make a good base for "lunar cave men".

“We’ve known about these locations that were thought to be lava tubes … but their existence has not been confirmed until now,” said Junichi Haruyama, a senior researcher at Jaxa.

Sure they did...
MOON NAZI's dug those out...
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoThu, 19 Oct 2017 13:53:37 -0500pm1America/Chicago by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The pinnacle of all human achievement is when we moved back into caves.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Reminds me of this movie trailer:

You beat me to it!

Oh and notice the DHARMA initiative logo?...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Better on Luna. Much better.

I was born right here in Luna City, which seems to surprise Earthside types. Actually, I'm third generation; my grandparents pioneered in Site One, where the Memorial is. I live with my parents in Artemis Apartments, the new co-op in Pressure Five, eight hundred feet down near City Hall. But I'm not there much; I'm too busy.

I sculled gently and let myself glide toward the air intake at the middle of the floor—the Baby's Ladder, we call it, because you can ride the updraft clear to the roof, half a mile above, and never move a wing. When I felt it I leaned right, spoiling with right primaries, corrected, and settled in a counterclockwise soaring glide and let it carry me toward the roof.

A couple of hundred feet up, I looked around. The cave was almost empty, not more than two hundred in the air and half that number perched or on the ground—room enough for didoes. So as soon as I was up five hundred feet I leaned out of the updraft and began to beat. Gliding is no effort but flying is as hard work as you care to make it. In gliding I support a mere ten pounds on each arm—shucks, on Earth you work harder than that lying in bed. The lift that keeps you in the air doesn't take any work; you get it free from the shape of your wings just as long as there is air pouring past them.

www.baen.com...
edit on 10/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So maybe good old John Lear wasn't so crazy after all?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

If there could be an advance in solar to 40% it would change the way everyone one on earth lives. We know the headwinds that would and does face.

edit on 19-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

If I was living on the moon, I would want some lunar soil between me and the great " out doors ".

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

So iron sky 2 and iron sky 3 are both coming out in 2018?

Or is that trailer fan made?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Cool on dusty plantless freezing & burning radioactive cosmic dust freebase.

I'll stay down here as I'm not that desperate for bragging rights (well visiting space would be cool but living in it argh).

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Iron Sky 2 got delayed for some reason.

And no, that's not a fan trailer.
edit on 10/19/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Not sure if that would be a good choice for colony. With thousands of tons of rock over their heads, one close meteor strike would cause everything to go squish.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

The cave is supposed to be 3.5 billion years old. So it would seem stable, but anyone who is the first to live in/on the moon is going to risk their lives.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Just wait till we find cave drawings there.....

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Would it be drawings of earthlings?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Better on Luna. Much better.

I was born right here in Luna City, which seems to surprise Earthside types. Actually, I'm third generation; my grandparents pioneered in Site One, where the Memorial is. I live with my parents in Artemis Apartments, the new co-op in Pressure Five, eight hundred feet down near City Hall. But I'm not there much; I'm too busy.

I sculled gently and let myself glide toward the air intake at the middle of the floor—the Baby's Ladder, we call it, because you can ride the updraft clear to the roof, half a mile above, and never move a wing. When I felt it I leaned right, spoiling with right primaries, corrected, and settled in a counterclockwise soaring glide and let it carry me toward the roof.

A couple of hundred feet up, I looked around. The cave was almost empty, not more than two hundred in the air and half that number perched or on the ground—room enough for didoes. So as soon as I was up five hundred feet I leaned out of the updraft and began to beat. Gliding is no effort but flying is as hard work as you care to make it. In gliding I support a mere ten pounds on each arm—shucks, on Earth you work harder than that lying in bed. The lift that keeps you in the air doesn't take any work; you get it free from the shape of your wings just as long as there is air pouring past them.

www.baen.com...

Heinlein made me want to move to Luna when I was old enough, and FLY!...wait...damn where is my MOONER vacation!!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfinguru
So maybe good old John Lear wasn't so crazy after all?

Nope total fruit loop

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am fairly sure we have a rather large presence on the moon...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join