It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a firearm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
After Herican Sandy; and the week long gas shortage aftarward; it was clear that there really is a thin line of comfort between normal life and civil breakdown. I shutter to think what would happen if a disaster lasts longer than a week.

So I want to get some kind of firearm to help protect my family. Problem is I don't know the first thing about firearms. Ok growing up the adults in my life had them, so I know a little. But not enough to feel safe being in possession and how and where to buy.

So what's my first step?
edit on 16-10-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

have anything particular in mind?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

have anything particular in mind?

Sorry hit the button to quickly, updated now.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Protect ya neck

I learned that one from Wu-Tang Clan

Each One Teach One

I forget where I learned that one, but equally relevant. Load up and learn how to use. And keep it out of reach of children or strangers.

edit on 16-10-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
First, go get some training and while you're doing that, you'll get some idea of what weapon will fit your needs. Usually, for inexperienced shooters, a shotgun would be best.

Training. Training. Training.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
There's no such thing as too much.

DO NOT purchase a weapon and try to "figure it out". Use only with an experienced shooter monitoring your every move.
edit on 16-10-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

starr, that's funny

op, a revolver is dependable fun and won't surprise with dangerous stuff....like gettin one outta the chamber on an auto.....like my XDM Compact

you can drive tacks at 50 feet with a 4 inch barrel....heavy ammo

edit on 16-10-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
For self defense and home defense I would suggest a Glock 19 chambered in 9mm, it is a very easy handgun to learn, handle and use. I would suggest to take a handgun course or get some range time in at a local range just so you can brush up on skills and safety procedures in your state. I personally have several Glocks and love them.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I want to buy a firearm

Me too.

Or actually another. A pistol to carry. I'm looking at a Glock 23.

Do you not own any firearms. Period?

So what's my first step?

Safety. Learning the weapon. Learning to shoot.
edit on 16-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Shooting is just another skill, like swimming or Scuba diving.

Look up your nearest shooting range or shooting club. Try before you buy at a range with rental weapons. Take a class.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
First, go get some training and while you're doing that, you'll get some idea of what weapon will fit your needs. Usually, for inexperienced shooters, a shotgun would be best.

*I bolded that because it is the most important advice you will ever be given*

See if you can find a gun range that offers gun rentals. Try out different types of guns and see what you are comfortable with.
edit on 10/16/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Where does one go for training?
Do I just pick a gun range and walk in and tell them what I'm looking for? Or do I need to look for something more specific?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

You are seriously recommending a firearm, with no external safety to a complete amatuer, who has NO idea what they're doing? Would you stand beside them and trust them to keep their finger off the trigger and/or not cover you with the muzzle?

No offense OP, but I wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
i suggest a remington 870 express 12 gauge pump action shotgun boomstick for defense of home and hearth.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
find a range, out a friend who knows.

looking back, a pump action shotgun (870) or a revolver (gp100) world be my first.

scary to be on the wrong end of, but hard to mishandle.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Look on the internet for classes in your area. Many gun shops will let you rent and try different guns if they have an indoor range or other ways to let you try them out. If not, they will know of ones in the area that do.

MAKE IT CLEAR you have no firearm/shooting experience and need help.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

A decision that is sometimes neglected is the chamber of handguns-rifles. I suggest matching them if that makes sense.

In other words 9mm glock and 9mm carbine if a carbine is a viable option. Simpler to stock ammo.

What is your level of experience? Have you taken hunters safety? The NRA offers some classes in some areas. This should dictate the amount of training.
If you have shot and know the safety basics, look up shooting ranges-join a local one. And start to practice.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yes I am seriously recommending that handgun, hence why I also stated to get range time and and take a handgun course so he can learn how to safely handle the firearm. The 19 is one of the best self defense carries that there is, it's very reliable, easy to conceal and very easy for a new shooter to learn how to handle safely.

The OP asked to recommendations and I gave him one, a very good one. Most people who get into firearms learn how to safely handle, operate, and store them. Like I said this handgun is very reliable and easy to learn.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
After Herican Sandy; and the week long gas shortage aftarward; it was clear that there really is a thin line of comfort between normal life and civil breakdown. I shutter to think what would happen if a disaster lasts longer than a week.

So I want to get some kind of firearm to help protect my family. Problem is I don't know the first thing about firearms. Ok growing up the adults in my life had them, so I know a little. But not enough to feel safe being in possession and how and where to buy.

So what's my first step?

Alright.

First thing... Training.

If you refuse to do that then do not buy a firearm. Then after training. Select a firearm and check out youtube video reviews before you purchase one.

Then learn how to clear it, clean it, and reassemble it (again youtube videos).

Safety first.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

I know the Glock 19 very well...it's my everyday concealed carry. But, because the lack of a safety, the only thing stopping it from firing is learning to ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger and sometimes that's asking a lot for a new shooter. I would not advise someone with absolutely no firearm experience to purchase one. Maybe later, after getting range time, but not for a first gun. Lack of knowledge can make many new shooters lose confidence in their firearm, since they don't quite trust it or themselves and that can lead to accidents.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

So what's my first step?

First step is take a class or three on gun safety.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join