It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comedian Sean Hughes dies aged 51

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Irish stand-up star and BBC quiz show panellist Sean Hughes has died aged 51.

In 1990, Hughes - then 24 - became the youngest person to win the coveted Perrier Award - now known as the Edinburgh Comedy Award - at the Edinburgh Festival.

Hughes had a varied career, including a role in the hit film The Commitments, in which he played Dave, a talent scout for Eejit Records.

To many, though, he will be best known for the six years he spent on Never Mind the Buzzcocks matching wits with Phill Jupitus and Mark Lamarr.

On TV, he also starred in ITV series The Last Detective, where he played Mod Lewis, friend to Peter Davison's title character, DC "Dangerous" Davies.

According to the BBC, a cause of death has not been confirmed. But on his wiki page it says he died 'after reportedly being treated for cirrhosis of the liver'.
www.bbc.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...(comedian)

I remember him fondly as a stand-up comic in the early 90s but more recently, and best, in The Last Detective.

The only phrase that comes to mind is 'bugger'.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Wow, that's unexpectedly early. RIP Sean.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

My memories of Sean are from the years watching Never Mind The Buzzcocks , he was a funny guy.

I'm saddened by the news , RiP Sean.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

What a shame. I've heard him mentioning drinking problems and struggles with success from his early days.

He was compared to Garry Shandling (if anyone remembers him) when Shandling was halfway as famous as Seinfeld. Sean Hughes was one of the many promising young comedians who fell short of the early acclaim. Some will say it led to alcohol problems and others will say the alcohol led to the short-lived success.

Whatever it was...51 is young these days.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I can only echo your own dismay here.

It should not be a shock, that we tend to express more sadness, when those who make us laugh hardest perish.

I know not what did for Mr Hughes, but I hope it did not hurt.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Hughes had a varied career, including a role in the hit film The Commitments, in which he played Dave, a talent scout for Eejit Records.

That is one of my favorite movies!

"I've got me career to think about!" - Deco Declan, explaining to Jimmy why he is moving to Eejit Records.

Sad news. Far too young for what seemed like a genuine fellow! RIP.

eta: He is also an author! May have to check for some of his work.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I went to see him live about 7 or 8 years ago. He ad-libbed a lot of stuff and even got a present during the interval for a newly wedded couple he'd been bantering with.

Seemed such a genuinely happy go lucky guy. What a shame. He seems much too young as well.

RIP Sean

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Rest In Peace

It's sad to see so many of the good ones passing away. Peace be with you Sean. Young, but not forgotten.
edit on 17-10-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

51 is young these days.

I hope so, I'm older.

top topics

join