It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't mass surveillance detect the Vegas shooter plot?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: FlyingFox

My opinion is mass surveillance is there so they have something on you if they need it, not to prevent anything..

indeed. It didn't detect this nut as that's not what it's for.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I don't disagree with the points made, but to draw attention to the abilities and limitations of the "system". Also to highlight that it seems to have failed to meet the expectations of some people, or at least justify it's intrusive nature.

Again, I stress the role of AI, not just keywords, or raw data, or metadata, or archives....even though they can be useful in the way people mentioned, "having something" on a person as part of the puzzle.

I think the future tech is in place already to do this. Short-term events will bear this out, believe me. The shooter could certainly have been on a "high risk" list based on what we are learning.

The basics of this system may have started as part of the anti-insurgency in Iraq. Certainly the same way the US Fusion Centers work, giving points to citizens based on risk factors inc personal history and law enforcement encounters. They do this now, to Americans....and for sure the predictive AI already exists.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Because mass surveillance is the EU's chosen trick to orchestrate terrorist attacks like the one in Vegas !
For example !

Why would the dutch intelligence agency organize a flash mob at a public station with more than 600 people waiting for trains or buses ? The answer is simple. To be a juicy target for terrorist attacks that they would then exploit for their political purposes.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Its not there to protect us, it's there to collect data

top topics

<< 1   >>

join