It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrology as a Science vs Astrology as a form of Divination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Recently i read in a thread how being a Christian and astrology are not compatible due to the bible condemning all forms of divination.

I disagree with this however, and in fact, most of the bible itself is an astrological allegory! (For further information on this I recommend checking out Santos Bonacci on YouTube, a fantastic lecturer).

With that said, I think it's important to realize that their is a clear difference in astrology as a science and using it as a divinatory art form. First of all, let's define the word divination: "the practice of seeking knowledge of the future by supernatural means". Now, certain "occultists" use astrology to give fortune telling readings to people, but this is far from the only use of this science!

According to legend, the mythical Hermes Trimegistus bestowed upon humanity the two sciences of Alchemy and astrology. These were known as the "Hermetic sciences", and philosophers from all over the world studied these principles. One said philosopher was Pythagorus, who is quoted saying "man know thyself; then thou shalt know the universe and God". This is due to the also hermetic principle "as above so below". So, how does one fully get to "know thyself"? Astrology, my friend. Instead of idolizing your favorite movie or music stars, you should be studying your birth chart to get a better realization of what makes you tick.

If you don't know your sun sign, moon sign, and rising sign (ascendant) you should immediately look it up.

If your skeptical about astrology being a "pseudoscience"consider this; several prominent astronomers and scientists were also astrologers. This includes Galileo Galileo, Carl Jung, Johannes Kepler, and Issac Newton. Chances are, these guys were smarter than you, and if they studied astrology you should, at the very least, throw out the notion that it's solely a pseudoscience.

It is such a comprehensive science that you can learn about what foods to eat, what body parts and diseases you may be vulnerable too (cancer rules the breasts and stomach, for example, and those born under this sign may be prone to breast cancers and stomach ulcers), the best mates for you, best career options, and your weaknesses suck as being prone to addiction or being too narcissistic. With all this valuable information, one can adapt accordingly to live a better version of oneself. What better information is there to learn?

Again, this contrasts starkly with some snake oil salesmen telling you some rubbish about your future. For the record, fortune telling is simply impossible as every second and every decision you make you are creating your future; it's not set in stone. I agree with the bible in this regard, and strongly condemn seeing a "psychic" for any kind of reading about the future.

Astrology has a million other uses as well. The moon changes astrology signs every two and a half days, as opposed to the sun, and based on the "emotional weather", or the sign that the moons in, one can act and plan accordingly. This includes activities such as keeping moon charts to know the best time to plant crops, best times to fish, even the best time to cut your hair for it to grow back faster. If the moon is in Taurus, for example, it would be a good time to negotiate a deal, as Taurus is considered a practical sign of wealth.

Anyways, just wanted to set the record straight that astrology and divination are not the same thing!

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

Astrology was born from Astronomy.

It's a topic of interest. s/f
edit on 3-10-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It's not officially viewed as a science because it does not pass the requirements of the scientific method. All spirituality fails to do so.

I practice it as a science but I know the difference and would never claim it could pass a vocation based entirely on concrete perspectives of physics.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I've never done much with Astrology. However, I think one of the criticisms leveled against it is that there is no one single cannon as to how it is done. Do all astrologers have one set interpretation? If so, on what is that methodology based?

For the record, fortune telling is simply impossible as every second and every decision you make you are creating your future; it's not set in stone. I agree with the bible in this regard, and strongly condemn seeing a "psychic" for any kind of reading about the future.
How does this Christian-based belief square with the Bible's use of prophets? And I know of several Christian religious sects that believe there are modern "prophets" amongst them, and pay heed to their prophecies.

-dex

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I have a younger brother with two different birth certificates ...Most of the astrology I have checked out dealing with personality traits were more of a interesting read then any thing I could pin down as being very accurate . I did find some interesting underlying data points that helped me understand other people a bit better but it was more of a expression signal that like most of it is also a hit and miss .

new topics

top topics

join