It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Thermal Tile Demonstration-handling 2500 degree tiles with your hands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
During a tour a very interesting video (below pic) about the space shuttle tiles was recorded. The pic below is a screen shot, I found this to be very interesting.

In a 2500 degree oven a square piece of the shuttle tile material sits, glowing and looking very very hot, it has been in the oven for hours.
The staff pulls the red hot tile from the oven and set it on a steel shelf. Immediately the guy talking about the tiles grabs the tile material that is still glowing red with his bare hand. I thought this was amazing.

I wonder what other material is already in use that is, from our out of the loop perspective science fiction?

edit on 30-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
At last!

Now I know what material I can use to finally build my fully functioning Hellraiser Puzzle (inter-dimensional portal) Box.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Love science! Thanks for the cool thread!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It's pretty interesting.

I would have loved to be in the lab the first time one of scientist dared the other to grab the red hot tile. After all the calculations says the surface of the tile will cool enough not to destroy your fingers....

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That's what thermometers are for!

Nice thread, It's pretty amazing.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yea I watch these videos way back in the early 1990s
Amazing stuff .

top topics

join