It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intriguing article on tractor beam technologies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I found an intriguing article on tractor beam technology. The video is really cool. Click on the link below.

A tractor beam is a device with the ability to attract one object to another from a distance.[1] The concept originates in fiction: the term was coined by E. E. Smith (an update of his earlier "attractor beam") in his novel Spacehounds of IPC (1931). Since the 1990s, technology and research has laboured to make it a reality, and have had some success on a microscopic level.[2] Another method to realize tractor beams is based on the use of biaxial birefringent media.[3] Less commonly, a similar beam that repels is called a pressor beam or repulsor beam. Gravity impulse and gravity propulsion beams are traditionally areas of research from fringe physics that coincide with the concepts of tractor and repulsor beams.

Tractor Beam

I love the reference to the 1931 science fiction novel Spacehounds of IPC. Click on the link if you want to read it. The Internet is the greatest invention ever!

"Not very. Our own ships, using only the acceleration of gravity, and both plus and minus at that, make the better than four hundred million kilometers of the long route to Mars in five days. These birds are using almost that much acceleration, and I don't see how they do it. They must have a tractor ray. Brandon claimed that such a thing was theoretically possible, but Westfall and I couldn't see it. We ragged him about it a lot—and he was right. I thought, of course, they'd drift with us, but they are using power steadily. They've got some system!"

edit on 25-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I believe they already exist somewhere.. probably area 51 haha. I remember hearing about the Podkletnov experiments awhile ago and it blew my mind that we can actually manipulate gravity! It's incredible how much humans have accomplished in such a short time. Now there's probably lots of reasons gravity tech has been kept hush hush but I hope that we will see more of it soon. So since we can manipulate gravity, a tractor beam shouldn't be too hard if you can create a gravitational vortex to suck objects into it. It's like watching something get sucked down the bathtub drain except with gravity instead of water.

Couldn't help but laugh when I read the part about "a doughnut-shaped Laguerre-Gaussian laser beam".... a what? Lol

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Interesting there is no mention of shaped magnetic fields. Given a strong enough magnetic field, you can make just about anything levitate including Frogs. But you need a field strength beyond that of an MRI scanner to achieve that. Plus magnetic fields follow an inverse cubed law.

But why visible light? Why not use combinations of high frequency radio waves that could create a standing wave pattern that could pull or push something. This was done with sound:

www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I am a huge Star Trek fan.

I am intrigued that some of that tech may actually come to fruition.

Thanks for the post!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A hand-held tractor-beam device that could harvest and bail hay would be handy.
It would be fun to play with squirrels, too.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Thanks for this OP. This is what I refer to as the "Cool Stuff".

This is a most brilliant demonstration of applied physics. Closer and closer to the brink of a new way of life.

Repel from the earth for inter-solar travel. Once the realization that this is also how all Sinusoidal frequencies exchange data with matter, imagine the technology that could be developed.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

I'm trying to post some cool stuff having nothing to do with politics. I'm so sick of politics. Politics are a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You better hide your John Deere a reply to: dfnj2015

new topics

top topics

join