It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Mayor may have breached equality rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Sadiq Khan, London's Mayor is coming under increased pressure after he and the London council banned UBER by not renewing their license to operate.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Sadiq Khan could be in breach of equality legislation over the decision not to renew Uber’s licence in London, a former adviser has warned. The Mayor of London was told on Saturday that because more than 90 per cent of the 40,000 drivers are from ethnic minority backgrounds, the move has destroyed a “lifeline” for them.

Iqbal Wahhab, former chairman of the Department of Work and Pensions Ethnic Minority Advisory Group, said the move could breach TfL’s legal duty to ensure minority groups were not discriminated against. “I wonder what regard TfL gave to this legal duty as part of its decision making process,” he wrote in the IBT.

Yesterday I know they accused me here of being a bigot because I did not trust Sadiq about what his motives are. Yes, liberals do like to use their buzz words. However, I was thinking about ALL people, not just some.

I want UBER there because they DON'T discriminate. They let ANYBODY work for them. They are not protectionist, not just looking out for little cliques like Sadiq is.

Sadiq is another who is likely going to fall on his own sword.

You see, I was sticking up for ALL the ethnic minorities, not just certain ones.

In this democracy you can't just look after your little clique. Society is about everybody. We must make decisions that benefit us all. Sadiq's ideology can not be allowed to dismantle business freedom. If this is successful you bet he will try and shut other things down that don't match his ideology.

Here is a little song for you, Sadiq:

I's not racist, no Sir! I ain't no bigot. I just care about people and I don't want MY COUNTRY being shut down by a Mayor with only local jurisdiction. It is not his authority to make such huge business decisions. He is not the Prime Minister. We already have a Prime Minister who makes decisions about trade.

Get back down to your position. You are just a Mayor for a very short time, Sadiq. I think you have destroyed your own political career with this.

The petition against his decision has now reached: 629,723 supporters.

edit on 24-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

what is stopping these folks from working with a different taxi type firm or one of the other types of driving jobs available?

I do not understand why they have to work for uber?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
OK this is utterly hallerious.

This thread actually contradicts what you said during your last thread about Khan.

So in your previous thread in which you got very upset about what Uber losing their licence to operate in London after a decision made by Transport For London, not the Mayor that one of the motivations behind this was:

Think about this guys! What would YOU do if you were Sadiq? Taxis are big business for Islamic people at least in Britain and ESPECIALLY London. I know because I lived with Muslims in Highfields, Leicester for many years.

A common thread in your previous thread on this was that Khan done this to protect Muslim jobs yet now you are posting about how he might have broke discrimination laws because 90% of those affected from this decision are from ethnic minorities?

hmm..... I smell a rat.

Yesterday I know they accused me here of being a bigot because I did not trust Sadiq about what his motives are

No you were called out as a bigot because you are a bigot.

when you can take a decision about who can and cannot operate Taxi's in London and make it about the faith of they Mayor then you are being a bigot.

If you don't like that try not being a bigot.

You see, I was sticking up for ALL the ethnic minorities, not just certain ones.

I think if anyone reads your previous thread on this exact same topic they will be able to see for themselves that you were not standing up for the social justice of all minorities, you were using it as a excuse to have a rant at the Mayor for being Muslim.

Please don't put on the social warrior face, it does not suit you.

I's not racist, no Sir! I ain't no bigot.

You sir, are a bigot!

Sorry but like I said when you make a issue about Taxi's a issue of faith then how can you deny the bigot label.

It is not his authority to make such huge business decisions. He is not the Prime Minister. We already have a Prime Minister who makes decisions about trade.

TLP made the decision, not the Mayor, it would also seem you don't understand the role of the Mayor of London.

You are just a Mayor for a very short time, Sadiq. I think you have destroyed your own political career with this.

I don't really think what you have to say about him is going to have any effect on his political career.
edit on 24-9-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 9.24.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

what is stopping these folks from working with a different taxi type firm or one of the other types of driving jobs available?

After the way you generally treat me and other members you can go do your own homework. I certainly not will even make one click of my mouse. Look for yourself and see why. Ask them why. I don't even use taxis personally. I may be use a taxi once in every three years. I walk and cycle. The only public transport I use are trains. The bus drivers are like little despots these days and taxi drivers, too. They put me off using them by their stinky attitudes. So do the local shop owners. I don't spend any money in my locality. Rude people don't get my custom. If they are polite they get my custom. I might look like an alternative hippy, bu I do have money to spend sometimes and I choose very carefully these days where I spend it. To be honest I don't get it why I still bother to stick up for anybody or even give a hoot. It must just be an old habit I can't shake. I am a total survivor. I will survive on my own wits, always have done, in spite of people like Sadiq and fat controllers everywhere.

You guys are so quick with your buzz words, to slam everybody down with Orwellian language tricks. Everybody sees through that now. You'll need to put your hand in the magic hat for new tactics. Hope ya don't pull out a bunny, though, like all these other times.

Yep, i totally get why Trump plays with them all like toys. I would be worse than him. If people abuse you you do have to get some defence mechanisms in place and turn the tables for the sake of self preservation and esteem.

edit on 24-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
"equality" rules are not laws that are set in stone. So the Mayor still didn't actually do anything wrong. (He didn't do it anyway but apparently no one cares about that)

Often those stupid "equality" rules are some of the most draconian crap you can feasibly come up with. Insisting on hiring people for things that often have no impact on their position, like skin colour, religious belief and sex. I think institutions should hire those most qualified for the role but i'm a dying breed.

Although It does create an interesting point, perhaps someone should look into the hiring practices of Uber before they were, quite rightfully, kicked (so to speak) out of London.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Keep UBER, dump the Mayor.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

After the way you generally treat me and other members you can go do your own homework. I certainly not will even make one click of my mouse. Look for yourself and see why. Ask them why. I don't even use taxis personally. I may be use a taxi once in every three years. I walk and cycle. The only public transport I use are trains. The bus drivers are like little despots these days and taxi drivers, too. They put me off using them by their stinky attitudes. So do the local shop owners. I don't spend any money in my locality. Rude people don't get my custom. If they are polite they get my custom. I might look like an alternative hippy, bu I do have money to spend sometimes and I choose very carefully these days where I spend it. To be honest I don't get it why I still bother to stick up for anybody or even give a hoot. It must just be an old habit I can't shake. I am a total survivor. I will survive on my own wits, always have done, in spite of people like Sadiq and fat controllers everywhere.

You guys are so quick with your buzz words, to slam everybody down with Orwellian language tricks. Everybody sees through that now. You'll need to put your hand in the magic hat for new tactics. Hope ya don't pull out a bunny, though, like all these other times.

Yep, i totally get why Trump plays with them all like toys. I would be worse than him. If people abuse you you do have to get some defence mechanisms in place and turn the tables for the sake of self preservation and esteem.

You really are not good at this debating thing are you?

You pretty much demand that others agree with your often ludicrous ideas and beliefs and when you encounter resistance go on the offensive in a way that is legitamatley baffling.

Have you considered that the reason a great many people disagree with on many things is that your opinions are flawed and you are so intent on being right you never actually take on board what others say to you?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Uber drivers accused of 32 rapes and sex attacks on London passengers over the past year
Independent

That is not only London which has these cases there are everywhere where UBER is, all kind of illegal activity you can think of.. so say GoodBye to UBER .. we are better off without these .. beside there is also a case of grey economy, not all pay taxes as they should.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

There are different types of taxi driver licensing; the Hackney cab drivers must have approved vehicles and have passed the appropriate knowledge tests of London:
tfl.gov.uk...
tfl.gov.uk...

Applying to be a regular taxi driver costs around £1000, requires passing a couple of exams and background checks.

There are other companies; Lyft, Yumuv.

And Uber is spending £300 million/year on researching driverless cabs.

www.thestar.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Yesterday I know they accused me here of being a bigot

YOU'RE a F****** BIGOT.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

There are different types of taxi driver licensing; the Hackney cab drivers must have approved vehicles and have passed the appropriate knowledge tests of London:
tfl.gov.uk...
tfl.gov.uk...

Applying to be a regular taxi driver costs around £1000, requires passing a couple of exams and background checks.

www.thestar.com...

so am I right in thinking that to drive for UBER you do not need to have any knowledge of the area and can have a crimanal record that would prohibit you from being a regular taxi driver then?

If so I can see no reason why UBER cannot simply abide by the requirements other companys adhere to to ensure a safe and efficicent service and have the licence reapproved then?

No need for a fuss and petition just a company having to adhere to a standard practice like in most industries to protect the customer right?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

tfl.gov.uk...
tfl.gov.uk...

www.thestar.com...

so am I right in thinking that to drive for UBER you do not need to have any knowledge of the area and can have a crimanal record that would prohibit you from being a regular taxi driver then?

If so I can see no reason why UBER cannot simply abide by the requirements other companys adhere to to ensure a safe and efficicent service and have the licence reapproved then?

No need for a fuss and petition just a company having to adhere to a standard practice like in most industries to protect the customer right?

Uber drivers only need a private hire license. It's a bit different from a public cab license in that they can only be pre-booked.

www.uber.com...

Traditionally, a pre-booked taxi would be something done days before. Some taxi drivers don't have a license to park on the taxi ranks of an airport to ply for customers. It would be illegal for them to try and pick up customers. But if the pick-up is pre-booked hours or days before, they can park in the waiting area but only to pick up that one customer.

Now, Uber bend this rules, by having a smart-phone application make the pre-booking occur minutes before the vehicle arrives. This isn't something the black cab taxi companies really got into - they are still used to people walking to a taxi rank or hailing a cab from the pavement, or making a telephone booking half hour in advance. Neither side knows who they are going to get. With the Uber application, the customer gives some personal details and Uber puts out the bid for business to the drivers. Uber can then rate customers and drivers. Though they were caught actually tracking the locations of potential customers five minutes after they had completed their journey through this application.

arstechnica.com...

Don't forget Greyball, where Uber used their application to detect regulators and other public officials, to make sure they couldn't be picked up, talk to drivers or see what was going on (known as Travis's law - if there is enough public demand, public officials will bend over backwards):

www.wired.co.uk...
edit on 24-9-2017 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2017 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This is the same mayor that makes women stand at the back of his rallies.

Women Segregated From Men at London Mayor's Rally

Sad iq Khan spoke at an event where women were told to use a separate entrance

So progressive!!!

Of course this whole UBER situation is nothing more than a case of cronyism. There are personal reasons why Khan is doing this, most likely to appease his union buddies at the London Taxi Association.

edit on 24-9-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

So progressive!!!

Of course this whole UBER situation is nothing more than a case of cronyism. There are personal reasons why Khan is doing this, most likely to appease his union buddies at the London Taxi Association.

Neither of your links says he makes women stand at the back of his rallies.

Made up story just like the rest of your post.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

So progressive!!!

Agreed the first link is a badly made up story with a picture of some men that are standing in front of some women. it is from one of those daft US right wing "foundations" that like to make stuff up and claim the UK is under sharia law and other such drivel.

I did not bother to look at the second one.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Uber has truly exposed the hypocrisy of people.

On the one hand they want Uber banned because of their (er) poor employment conditions, and all that. On the other hand they want to keep Uber because it's cheap.

Khan, the London Mayor, is facing the ire of people who want "cheap" and a company (Uber) that will have no compunction to throw endless lawyers at this and stir the masses through social media. In all the blabbering's the reasons why the licence has been withdrawn has been lost. From the TfLs website...

TfL considers that Uber's approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility in relation to a number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications. These include:
- Its approach to reporting serious criminal offences.
- Its approach to how medical certificates are obtained.
- Its approach to how Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are obtained.
- Its approach to explaining the use of Greyball in London - software that could be used to block regulatory bodies from gaining full access to the app and prevent officials from undertaking regulatory or law enforcement duties.

Source TfL

I have to say that I agree with TfL. If Uber want to operate in London then they need to improve. I should also point out that I am no fan of Khan.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So progressive!!!

Did you even read the articles? One of them even has photo's showing it clear as day.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So progressive!!!

Did you even read the articles? One of them even has a photo showing it clear as day.

It had a picture of a crowd and yes the men seemed to be at the front but for all we know they were just more intereted than the women?

The site is sponsered by one of those right wing american "foundations that sperad roumor and hate with little or no fact so it is not really a good source in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Even the hit piece article you linked to doesn't say he made anyone stand at the back.

It's a complete lie you made up.
edit on 24-9-2017 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join