It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: Konduit
Trump doesn't even need to boycott the NFL because the fan base is already doing it. Stadiums are half-empty and it's ratings are crashing. This whole Kaepernick thing has hit them in the wallet... HARD.

The NFL is getting hammered after another game was played in a half-empty stadium

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think the NFL is just as popular as ever. Maybe some ratings dips but it's still exciting and good entertainment. Especially for teams heavily related to their geographical locations, like the Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, Broncos etc. And especially when those teams are good.

I agree, ratings are down the first two weeks but that might have something to do with two huricanes.
The college game with usc and Texas in Los Angeles had higher attendance than two nfl games combined in LA last week.
Numbers are all over the place.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
As usual, I am of two minds about this. Well, three.

First, someone else's disrespect for the US National Anthem has no direct bearing on me, my life, or my freedom. It DOES have an effect on my opinion of that person, though. If someone wants to make a j******ss of themselves, it's no skin off my nose.

Second, free speech is a right in the USA (supposedly). However, I am required to curb the use of that right as a condition of my employment. I am allowed to say whatever I want, but I will lose my job if I say the wrong thing. This is perfectly legal, and I see no reason why the NFL could not make at least appearing to respect the National Anthem a condition of employment if they so desired.

And lastly, I find myself having a lot of trouble giving a flying rat's behind what comes out of Trump's mouth anymore. I just don't.

Peace

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: amazing

I agree, and don't.

Trump is an opinionated person, and he is allowed. The real question is should the bully pulpit be used to talk about a game played with a ball?

Trump can spew his opinions at work, the highest government office , but someone in a private organization can't express theirs..

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I agree with the concept of protesting, but I have the right to be offended by what is being protested against.

This is a situation I feel strongly about. And I certainly cannot accept people disrespecting their own country whilst using the freedoms their country provide them.

It's like throwing the food you're given at the waiter because you don't like the meal you ordered. Dummy spitting.

Did the anthem ever give a white cop reason to shoot a black man? then why is this how people protest it? It's much larger than that. It's basically spitting on your very core beliefs. I find it utterly disrespectful, but I wouldn't stop it... no need, it will taper itself out of existence.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

except at it's core, we all have the right to protest. It's what differentiates us from places where it's against the law to protest, like North Korea, Russia, Syria venuzuala etc.

Not at work, right?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

Fake Outrage. This is America, we were founded on protest and revolution and pissing people off! That's what we do! We don't stand for that PC Crap and we have the freedom to do whatever the heck we want to do, whenever the heck we want to do it!

Trump seems like a communist dictator. "Protest me and you will be ruined" is in essence what hes' saying here.

Our Veterans fought for this right to protest. Doesn't he get this?

I am at a loss with your post.

"This is 'Merica!! We don't let anyone tell us what to do!!" in acceptance of people basically saying "Up Yours America!" and giving the finger to the flag, the anthem, and everything you stand for.

strange concept. I don't really grok it, though... Do you think those disrespecting the anthem and the flag, give a toss about your veterans who died for their right to be little prats?

reminds me a little of this...

if I was at that supermarket, I'd give that old hag a history lesson or two, and explain the difference between what WWII was and the Vietnam 'war' and Korean 'war' and every subsequent American 'war' afterwards.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

.., it will taper itself out of existence.

It's actually picking up steam. It's reached high schools now.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Fake Outrage. This is America, we were founded on protest and revolution and pissing people off! That's what we do! We don't stand for that PC Crap and we have the freedom to do whatever the heck we want to do, whenever the heck we want to do it!

Trump seems like a communist dictator. "Protest me and you will be ruined" is in essence what hes' saying here.

Our Veterans fought for this right to protest. Doesn't he get this?

I am at a loss with your post.

"This is 'Merica!! We don't let anyone tell us what to do!!" in acceptance of people basically saying "Up Yours America!" and giving the finger to the flag, the anthem, and everything you stand for.

strange concept. I don't really grok it, though... Do you think those disrespecting the anthem and the flag, give a toss about your veterans who died for their right to be little prats?

reminds me a little of this...

if I was at that supermarket, I'd give that old hag a history lesson or two, and explain the difference between what WWII was and the Vietnam 'war' and Korean 'war' and every subsequent American 'war' afterwards.

Sounds like she might turn you into a Popsicle.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I agree with the concept of protesting, but I have the right to be offended by what is being protested against.

This is a situation I feel strongly about. And I certainly cannot accept people disrespecting their own country whilst using the freedoms their country provide them.

It's like throwing the food you're given at the waiter because you don't like the meal you ordered. Dummy spitting.

Did the anthem ever give a white cop reason to shoot a black man? then why is this how people protest it? It's much larger than that. It's basically spitting on your very core beliefs. I find it utterly disrespectful, but I wouldn't stop it... no need, it will taper itself out of existence.

So the question is, how should we protest the government? We should protest Trump if we don't like his policies our our government if we don't like their actions. We should have protested Obama if we didn't like his policies etc.

A protest is meant to get attention and sometimes offend. I always stand for the Anthem and in my business we always bow to the US Flag. I have a giant one on display as soon as you enter my door. I mean it's Huge...extra large. You would be impressed. When I first got it, I was afraid it was too big and then I was like, "nope...Screw anyone who doesn't like it!" LOL

But despite all of that, I will fight to the death FOR the right of any American Citizen to protest however they see fit as long as it doesn't cause bodily harm or destruction of property. That includes sitting for the anthem.
edit on 23-9-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

But the President trying to tell a corporation what to do because he doesn't agree with workers there protesting the government is a little shady.

Is he? I thought the best way to get a point across is to vote by using your feet, with things like this.

I don't see Trump telling any corporation what to do at all. He is offering the idea of ignoring those who disrespect the anthem. You either choose to go with it, or you don't. And from what I hear, people are already opting to do this anyway.

If people hate what the flag and anthem stand for so much, why are so many who embrace these icons, so hell bent on supporting the maligners?

Hid did thell them. He said "Fire those son of a bitches" It doesn't get any clearer than that. He's saying that to the NFL, a private business.

I didn't see that in the OP, my replies have been based on that alone, not anything else Trump may have said.. As a non-US citizen I don't keep up on much apart from what I read here and on farcebook.

Still, unless he directly has influence, doesn't the NFL just have to say "Whatever..." same as they do when someone has a go at the Dallas Cowboys.. lol, ohh they cop it big time.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

except at it's core, we all have the right to protest. It's what differentiates us from places where it's against the law to protest, like North Korea, Russia, Syria venuzuala etc.

Not at work, right?

True, a business can do as they want, but in this case it's the US president, telling a business to fire people he disagrees with. That's wrong. That's not American. George Washington would be up in arms.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Did Trump order them to fire the players?

Did Trump just "hope" they'd get fired?

Like the politician who "hoped" Trump would get assassinated, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

He suggested it though, and we know that the president has influence and power. What presidents say matters. Yes he can't order that to happen but he does have influence as the most powerful man in the world. That's the problem. He shouldn't be trying to influence what private businesses do with their employers just becaue he disagrees with actions of their employees.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Washington would have had them shot.

edit on 23-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

So people with power should not offer opinions?

They lose that right?

link   
Wait, weren't you guys complaining about people being too "PC" a few months back? Shouldn't you guys be cheering these players on for being "non-PC"?

Oh wait, I forgot, it's only seen as "PC" if it goes against your biases.

Carry on.

link   
Let's talk about snowflakes, social justice warriors, and political correctness lol.

link   
He made a recommendation, not a declaration. There is a difference. I find the football players are quite the hypocrites with this. They respond with things like "stick to politics this is football". And yet, they themselves did not stick to football and brought politics into their job.

If the person at the drive thru tried to bring politics in while giving you the food, they may need to find a new venue. Football players do it, and we hold them on a pedestal?? Go to hell with that crap! Save it for before or after the game, but they need to keep their politics out of the job!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

See, you have the right idea. Protesting the government is one thing. This is not protesting the government, however. It's a racial issue. It's not against the government, it's against a problem that is perceived to be a larger issue. Attacking the very things that are meant to unite the people of America, is, in my honest opinion, stupid. It turns people against what you are even trying to achieve.

Protesting the government should not be an attack on the entire country. Which this, to me, is.

Boycott Trump rallies, protest them peacefully, or better yet, vote him out. But that's the thing. A democratic vote, voted him in. And all hell has broken loose from the losing side. Like I said, dummy spitting.

I just don't see how this is an effective way to protest against the government. It won't make anyone change their opinion or view. And indeed it is about black people being killed by the nasty white supremacist law enforcement. Which in an of itself is biased because not only are there white people killed by LEO's which hardly gets a peep in the media, but there is plenty of black on black murder, that is never mentioned either.

It's a fabricated malady.

The difference is, when a white person is killed by the police, entire communities look at it, and say "Well he should have just listened to the officer."
When a black person is killed by the police, entire communities get violent and riot, causing everyone to take note, and then we have millionaire ball fondlers on one knee, protesting the US of A.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

'Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, "Get that son of a b***h off the field right now! He is fired. He's fired!"' Trump boomed.

Doesn't sound like he was telling the owners anything does it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join