It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University president apologizes for hosting black students in his home with cotton decorations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Both of your sides suck. But very nice &%#@ measuring post.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Because of the hysterics of short-sighted folks like yourself who have fostered the PC culture without thinking about the end results of never-ending "offensives." You have quite a track record of threads making mountains out of mole hills and painted with a very broad brush yourself.

If that's the line of bs that fills you with self-righteous indignation, by all means, knock yourself out. I'd say that if it weren't for whiny hypersensitive victim status craving wingnuts, none of us would ever hear about any of this. So who's really fostering what and in whom is it being fostered?

On one side, there's a handful of such instances involving a few people. On the other, tens of millions of Drudge Report suckling clickbait addicts looking for the next thing to be hysterical about. Do you think that there isn't similar clickbait for the "other side" that couldn't be posted day after day?

We've got a highschool pep rally where some some young Trump fans had a "Put the 'Panic' back in 'Hispanic!" sign. Blatant and rather casual racism that these kids have come to believe is socially acceptable because of folks like you.

How about this one? A 58 year-old — we'll assume "conservative" — white guy was ticked off that some black people moved into his neighborhood so as he was yelling racial epithets, he assaulted a father with a "stun cane" in front of his seven year-old.

You want more? I've got more. And if I was really inclined to be what you assert, I would be posting about them. Daily.
edit on 2017-9-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If this were a isolated incident I would agree with you, it is not.

The subject matter of the thread is valid without your approval.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm offended that they're offended.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

see? that's the rub. do i get to report february as racist because education is focused on black history? if i choose not to participate in black history month, am i racist? if i decorate in a historical sense for black history month, am i insensitive, and therefore, racist?

folks can't expect you to revere and celebrate their differing cultures if they're gonna get jumpy about your participation.
i truly can't wrap my head around it.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
I'm offended that they're offended.

This post offended me because you can re-arrange the letters in the above post to spell. . .

"Gin poo smells".

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

Colleges are being tolerant of fascism, in fact they are encouraging it by hiring and keeping weak willed Presidents like the one in the story.

This boils down to $. Do not rock the boat. That little idiot that is offended by anything they deem as racist is worth $25,000 a year.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Universities are where free expression goes to die.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yep.

I can tell you what I would have been told if I had a complaint in the 1990's, it starts with a f and ends in one too.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

All 5,300 of them?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i can only assume that the president of the ''faith based'' university is a good Christian man and likewise, as they are attending a '''faith based'' university, so are the students.
From this I can also 'assume' that he was not being a wuss as you assume, but rather he was exercising his
Christian ethic of doing unto others as he would have them do unto him.

Also, having read the link you offered, I found no claims that he was being called a ''racist'' or anything other. What I read was that he and several of the students may be sitting down to discuss a possible lack of sensitivity in a good
Christianly manner.

What you call 'coddling'' I call good Christian concern for others. I'm sorry that the Daily Caller has seen fit to sensationalize this incident and dragging you and others into their hoped for outrage.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

All 5,300 of them?

Yes.

Every single one of them.

Now I'm going to dance the dance of sadness.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

All 5,300 of them?

Yes.

Every single one of them.

Now I'm going to dance the dance of sadness.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are joking or not.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

If this were a isolated incident I would agree with you, it is not.

Firstly, if the details I read were correct, the university president is deserving of, at the very least, a little mockery. Secondly, this *is* an isolated incident. There are 330 million people in this county. Millions of them are students at the nearly 5,000 American colleges and universities.

All news inherently distorts perceptions because of the focus on outliers of human experiences. World views aren't built on accurate concepts of actual occurrence but rather the frequency of reporting. The Internet has made this much worse because there's a much larger pool to be drawn from by a whole lot more people and more opportunities to feed confirmation bias.

In other words, relying on anecdotal evidence, you have no real way of gauging how common a thing really is let alone if it's occurring more or less than it was a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago, etc — the sense of these things is derived from the volume and frequency of exposure to accounts of it occurring.

The subject matter of the thread is valid without your approval.

Who said anything about approval? Talk about hypersensitive snowflakery.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I think your assumptions are wrong, it was cotton used as decorations in his private home.

The college privileged youth are too sensitive and need a wake up call.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Gawd, you guys can find the most obscure stories on the internet. I've never even heard of Lipscomb University.

This is the kind of sensationalism that we get from those who rely upon information outlets like the Daily Caller.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I think your assumptions are wrong, it was cotton used as decorations in his private home.

The college privileged youth are too sensitive and need a wake up call.

As well may be the case Sen. However I think that you have been played by The Daily Caller who look for and sensationalize trivial little situations making them out to be more than they really are. While you and others focus on the recent though limited spate of ''cotton'' related incidents and conflate it with a larger picture of pampered youth and overly sensitive black people, here is one incident which, as I have portrayed might be one that does not fit with that larger point of view

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I could see if he had a Sambo doll or was playing Al Jolson records but this is just like the other thread about Hobby Lobby. Overly sensitive weenies being overly sensitive.

Yeah....
But in the other thread we were repeatedly told that it was a singular occurrence.
Now there are two.
And this is a bit more than 'just a Facebook post'.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

#1 you must be concerned about skin color, I am not-didn't even mention it or cross my mind.

#2 what does Sen. mean? (quote from your post)"As well may be the case Sen."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join