It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Avatar Notes Function

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
How hard would it be to add a function which allows us to add notes to a person's avatar? Like round the online poker table, or a cell in Excel.

If it's easy please can it be added?

I will pay you for how long it takes the coder to add it and troubleshoot it. Maybe $10 or something.

EG Right click to open a box to add notes. Hover over avatar to see notes pop up.
edit on 12-9-2017 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

That would be even handier if it was searchable.

So you could say "hmmmmmm, who was it that thought along so and so lines" or knows all about such and such.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Yeah that would be pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
$10?

Funny. Very funny.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Searchable? You've just exponentially increased the development effort. And the cost.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

Searchable? You've just exponentially increased the development effort. And the cost.

$20?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So the point would be: to be able to "stalk" !!

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

Good point, I'll chuck a tenner in the pot as well then.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

So the point would be: to be able to "stalk" !!

Haha you wish.

Nah the point is, I can keep track of who likes what, who doesn't like what, who is an expert, who once rinsed me etc etc etc

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
£7.54 at today's exchange rate.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Let me attempt to sketch this out for folks.... from a pseudocode perspective....

The ability to add notes associated with a user ( the avatar in this case is not what matters, as it is simply a representation for the user, but would likely act as a hyperlink so that when clicked on, it would take you to a page/pagelet that shows comments about the user) means that you need to do a few things.

First, you need to be able to create a form that you could type your comment into

Second, that comment needs to be assigned to the user who has that avatar. This requires at least one new table within the database behind this website, and a SQL insert to take the information entered from your computer into the the new table on the web host's server. This likely also requires a JSON message to send the data to the database where the SQL insert statement is made.

Third, any time someone clicks on a given users avatar, a request to retrieve that information is sent from your computer over the web that triggers a SQL statement to look for any comments associated with that user via the association between the user and the avatar that was clicked on.

Fourth, searching for specific comments... will this be searching X user's profile for a certain keyword in comments made about that user. If you wish to search for keywords across all users, that is a different SQL select statement against the database. Results (including a notification if there was no results in the search) will need to be sent to the website from the database to show the SQL select statement results. This would likely be an additional page/pagelet on the website.

So, a few lines of code? No. Also, it would take a bit of research to look at the overall structure of both the website and the database to determine if any special precautions need to be taken (you don't want your newly working code breaking existing code in production) as well as to make your code flow with existing production logic and coding.

So, how much time might this take? Well, I know nothing about the site's guts or the database behind the scenes. But, I can make a few estimations.

Meetings with website owners / stakeholders - 1 - 3 hours
This is to go over their functional requirements to make certain they are thoroughly understood before starting on the other tasks. Primary reason for this is that while a hallway ambush meeting may be sufficient to convey the idea of what is wanted to the developer, it often is not all encompassing of precisely what is wanted. The purpose here is to try to measure twice and cut once, as carpenters will tell you.

Researching existing system (website and database) - 12-16 hours

Documentation of technical specifications for the effort - 3-5 hours

Coding and unit testing - 24 hours
(unit testing is where the developer is running their own tests to see if their code works, before full blown testing takes place of a much more granular level of detail) of new web page design, database table structure design, and SQL insert and select statements.

Quality assurance and user acceptance testing - 8 - 16 hours
Were all possible scenarios thought out of how the new functionality might not work, or how the new functionality might break existing functionality? That is the purpose of this effort.

Documentation of changes made - 3-5 hours

All total, at the far end of my estimations, we're looking at approximately 69 (almost 1.5 weeks of work) hours of work. And that is only accurate *if* everything goes well. What if the users at the end realize there were additional requirements? Or requirements that were forgotten (by users and or developer)?

Now, honestly, I have the skills to do all of this. However, not everyone does. So you might have to bring in multiple people with varied skillsets to do this.

My rate? Well, let's just say that at a bare low end, $10 would get you about 10 to 15 minutes of work from me.

Everything being said, this is my final estimate.

Time to create and deploy - 69 hours.
Approximate Cost? - $4K

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh, I cannot wait for people to try to start tearing this apart

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
How hard would it be to add a function which allows us to add notes to a person's avatar? Like round the online poker table, or a cell in Excel.

If it's easy please can it be added?

I will pay you for how long it takes the coder to add it and troubleshoot it. Maybe $10 or something.

EG Right click to open a box to add notes. Hover over avatar to see notes pop up.

This would be kind of cool, I remember my papa LOVED notes on the poker apps.

(You mean like the notes that you make on a user that only YOU can see right?)

Very handy!

-Alee
edit on 9/12/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

If you know how many hours it would take and I assume you know how much you charge per hour then why is the 4k appoximated?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Because it is an *estimate*, estimates are given in the event that there are unforeseen aspects that need to be covered.

Bottom line, it works when it works. You can sit there and crack a whip all you want, but there is a bit more involved here than baking cookies.

Plus, I don't do things for fixed rates. I do them on an hourly rate. Hours tend to rack up, and rack up quickly.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Quality assurance and user acceptance testing - 8 - 16 hours

No...it wouldn't take QA that long to do it. It's not like this change would require full Regression Testing.

Everything else seems spot on.

BTW - Stand up in 15 minutes. I want to what you worked on yesterday, what are you working on today and do you have any impediments.

Scrum! Living in the Agile world is nice, huh?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I've got a word for you....

ESTIMATE

Would you rather tell someone it'll take longer and cost more only to have them be happy if it comes in under budget...

Or promise it before lunch, and have them thoroughly pissed at you?

And, sorry...SCRUM, AGILE....all that MBA PM mumbo-jumbo is horsedudu....... So, have fun on your own at the standup tomorrow

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Under Promise, over deliver...that's all you had to say.

Scrum and Agile aren't acronyms buddy. But if you're gonna keep a Dev on track and in-line, you at least need a Kanban board. Or, making $50-60 an hour doesn't warrant that..? It sure does, so it's no horsesh!t, it's an excellent framework (Scrum) for the Agile methodology to operate within.

No offense, but you're Green if you think otherwise. Why would Google, FB, Amazon all utilize the Scrum/Agile process if it's bogus?

And you WILL be at stand-up tomorrow, otherwise you can just work on Mock-ups and hang out with the UI/UX guys and gals...

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
$30 is my last offer.

That's assuming nonspecific will up his gesture.

You just wrote that post for free, you're 9 miles down a 10 mile road.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
$30 is my last offer.

That's assuming nonspecific will up his gesture.

You just wrote that post for free, you're 9 miles down a 10 mile road.

I'm out as they said it would take 39 hours but then said that was just an estimate and would charge as many hours as it takes so my tenner could end up in the hundreds.

I wish I could quote like that I would get few repeat customers but would be rich enough not to care.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join