It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with your bloody ships.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I've actually been discussing this with an old buddy of mine who was in the navy. Two major ship collisions in the Pacific Theater, plus the helicopter crash that killed the Marines off Australia in just a couple months, to where the Navy suspends all it's operations. So we came up with a list of possibilities, and all of them are extremely disturbing.

1. New type of terrorist/hostile attack. This one is least likely, since no one has claimed responsibility, and the earlier collision in June, the officers were found to be at fault. Also, a terrorist attack would have sent the entire military into heightened alert status, which has no happened as far as I can tell. Threat levels all over still at the same level.

2. Sabotage, or new type of electronic warfare, cyber attack, that disabled or screwed up ships navigation and radar systems. More of a possibility than the first one, but so far, no evidence of that has surfaced. But with everything considered at this point, probably unlikely.

3. The onboard systems hardware or software are experiencing serious and dangerous malfunctions and flaws, either because of upgrades or actual systems and equipment flaws in design. This is the least disturbing possibility, because of all of them, it is the most easiest to fix.

4. The failures are not equipment related, nor is there any orchestrated attack. The failures are in the actual crews, due to poor leadership, lack of training and skill, breakdown in morale and purpose of overall mission. This, sadly, is sounding like the most likely scenario, and given that military training, discipline, and leadership have been in a steady decline for the past 25 years, is likely going to be becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
In view of the events surrounding USS McCain crashing against a merchant vessel, it is the perfect time for China and Russia to rapidly increase modernization of the fleet with extreme high-tech weaponry and sensor systems. Outpacing the US in naval technology is now an objective in reach for Chinese and Russian military shipbuilding. Especially in regard to the Lider-class nuclear-powered Guided-missile destroyers and its corresponding Chinese classes.
These kind of US Navy mishaps must be used as an opportunity to equalize their capabilities at sea, while they look for faults in their onboard equipments.
Time to move from a purely land-based armed forces, straight to maritime superiority with overwhelming hypersonic guided missile capabilities at sea.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: cheesyleps

Here's a good read for you to understand the role of a US Navy Chief and some of the issues they feel they are struggling with. I was active duty from 1997-2008, most of my friends are Chiefs or higher.

An Essay written by fleet Master Chief Paul Kinsbury.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Think this sums up the USN at the moment

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Maybe they should make those "on deck" drink more coffee? It seems to happen at night, in the wee hours. Something seems to be wrong.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The idea that anybody might be hacking a ship and controlling it, is a james bond'esque funny joke ... Please, go learn some other better jokes!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
The idea that anybody might be hacking a ship and controlling it, is a james bond'esque funny joke ... Please, go learn some other better jokes!

Not really a joke, since the Navy is considering the possibility.

americanmilitarynews.com... vf&utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

originally posted by: Flanker86

Not really a joke, since the Navy is considering the possibility.

americanmilitarynews.com... vf&utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook

Definitely in the realm of possibility with so many electronic controls.. maybe not full control but enough interference to shut down equipment or cause erratic operation of things like navigation devices such as radar (not excusable since eye sight and manual communications are considered first steps and most reliable in close operations with ships) rudder, engine throttle etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Yes they are, which is why, if they haven't done so already--and since boats are crashing, it seems they haven't--they need to be able to "unplug" and do things the old fashioned way.

Look out the damned window!! Navigate by the stars, if I can, surely an Annapolis grad can learn? But mostly, step out on the wing of the bridge and look about.

This sort of thing is inexcusable.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Yes they are, which is why, if they haven't done so already--and since boats are crashing, it seems they haven't--they need to be able to "unplug" and do things the old fashioned way.

Look out the damned window!! Navigate by the stars, if I can, surely an Annapolis grad can learn? But mostly, step out on the wing of the bridge and look about.

During restricted maneuvering, watchatanders are at the ready to take manual controls of equipment and are generally well trained in using them. Navigation the old fashioned way is something many learn no doubt but rarely use, not worth the risk. Like pulling into port without tugs, many say they can but I've only actually seen it done once.. I doubt many captains have ever actually done it even on small boys.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
www.660news.com...

The title is a homage to Admiral Beatty, but it is fitting.
What gives? How is another modern warship unable to steer clear of an oil tanker?
this is the second one in a couple of months.

All steering is by electronics.

The US is patrolling the Chinese waters.

Who makes the chips?

Just have a Chinese sattelite beam a ray of electromagnetic waves down to the ship and disable the microchip on the electronics circuit board involved in the steering. Then, after collission, there are fewer US ships to cause trouble to China's aquatic expansions.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I agree, and they actually do have manual/non electronic controls and navigation. Which would fall back to the fourth poissibility: a total meltdown in training, mission, leadership, ect.

It could also end up being a combination of any factors, too. Whatever the cause, I seriously hope the Navy can rectify it soon. This is a bad time to be showing cracks and weakness in the fleet.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: swimmer15

If I can steer a 85' seiner (type of fishing boat) into a dock with barely a kiss, seems to me guys and gals with much more training than I--my "training" consisted of the skipper showing me the controls, and telling me this is how you do it...twice--have can steer a big ol' destroyer on the open ocean without bumping.

If it isn't hacking, and I really don't think it is, but it's possible. Then it comes down to severe lack of training and leadership at every level, from senior officers to apprentice seaman-or whatever they're called these days. If they're trusted to stand a watch on a naval vessel they should be trained and lead properly, and they aren't either one by my eye ball assessment.
edit on 8/22/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: SprocketUK

Incompetence at the helm due to a reliance on technology instead of looking out of the bloody window - hit on the port side, again - the warship is at fault - just like last time.

No, port side says that the McCain was the privileged vessel. The impact on the Fitz was Starboard. Fitz was burdened vessel.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Easy to say from your office chair, whole other world in practice, where talking a ship nearly six times the size or your fishing boat, with who knows how many ships especially fishing boat and fairies around.
edit on 22-8-2017 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: swimmer15

Easy to say from your office chair, whole other world in practice, where talking a ship nearly six times the size or your fishing boat, with who knows how many ships especially fishing boat and fairies around.

I think he is referring to your comment particularly about taking vessels into port without tugs.

To an extent, he is right. The fact that most naval vessels are not designed with items like bow thrusters or directional propulsion is a little mystifying.

Regardless, a vessel with multiple propellers should be easily capable of berthing without tugs assistance especially when they are as small as destroyers/frigates. Carriers are a slightly different matter but sub capital vessels are more than manageable enough.

Large elements of the merchant fleet routinely carry out those operations on vessels that are larger, heavier and less maneouvrable. Done it myself more than a few times when the company decide that the tugs are just too expensive this time...

If I can berth a single-screw Aframax without any external help aside from the wind and current...
edit on 22/8/17 by cheesyleps because: Spelling/Grammar

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: swimmer15

Here's a good read for you to understand the role of a US Navy Chief and some of the issues they feel they are struggling with. I was active duty from 1997-2008, most of my friends are Chiefs or higher.

An Essay written by fleet Master Chief Paul Kinsbury.

www.facebook.com...

It may be a day or two before I can find the time to read it but thank you, I'm sure it will be fascinating.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Don't believe I said they can't in a sense that capabilities are not there, just they don't ( I just said that as an example). Not many CO's going to risk their career to prove a point, so much small boat traffic it's not worth it, not to mention damage to pier and ship if a mishap occurs

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If you look at the Class A Afloat Mishap rate for the last four years, with the exception of 2015, when there was only one, they're actually slightly below the trend this year, and the Fiscal Year is almost done.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

New scientist early August reported 20 Russian ships in the Black Sea appearing in the wrong places and suggests Russians hacked the US Navies GPS the Chinese may have similar capabilities

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join