It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm addicted to ebay.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
While in the hospital, nothing to do, I got to know my phone better. Got reacquainted with FB, here and got addicted to ebay. Everything is there and cheap. I've made about 80 purchases in the last month. Obscure stuff too. I got Mom 3 Mario Lanza cds for$15 shipping included. The wife is threatening to take my phone away.
It's set up on my comp too so, oh well.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Sorry you are in the hospital...i live by an old addage: do I need it? Or do I want it, do they need it, or do they want it.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I was doing ebay to buy old football cards. I won the bid on a rookie Walter Payton. The dude got the money I never got the card. I quit after that. But I did manage to add some pretty cool card to my collection. But you are correct..........it can be addicting.

edit on 18-8-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Parents use eBay to buy old movies all the time. They don't have cable and never bothered with satellite, so old movies it is!

Husband and I are looking at picking up some kid's old used LEGO collection for our kid for Christmas.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hope your healing up or feeling better !!! Hospitals suck !! ....I used to shoot eBay , but haven't in a while ....I found myself spending waaaaayyyyy to much money .

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I was addicted to ebay as well and how I got over that addiction?
I discovered ATS!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I haven't had a bad deal. Had one cancelled yesterday due to Customs issue, China but that's it.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I too am addicted to eBay. I have always been a rummager, an attender of jumble-sales, car-boots, charity shops, second-hand book stores, and suchlike. EBay is therefore like giving an alcoholic the keys to the bar.

I have only had one bad deal - a chancer who took the money for an old magazine (I needed it for research purposes) then fobbed me off repeatedly over several months. Eventually, I raised it as an issue (so other people could see it) and called him out on his crap. I got my money back within 24 hours. The next day the guy emailed to tell me that he had mis-addressed the envelope and it had just been returned to him, so I could try the purchase again. WTF?

Fortunately, I only have a few vices, and they are mainly old books and memorabilia relating to one particular historical event (not old enough to be valuable, although perhaps my inheritors will reap the benefit one day).

Unfortunately all the things I like are either unique or extremely rare. So for me, it's like watching interesting things come sailing down the river, knowing that they will disappear round the next oxbow and slip from my grasp forever. This cannot be allowed to happen, so I will hook them and clasp them lovingly to my breast forever... nah, who am I kidding? As soon as I've made one purchase I'm already moving onto my next with nary a backward glance.

The only way for me not to spend money on eBay is not to visit it at all. If I do visit, then I am already planning to snag another bit of history before it vanishes. So ignorance is bliss. Even now, when I haven't visited eBay for a week, I find I have a gnawing anxiety that I might be failing in my duty to rescue some wonderful curiosity from oblivion.

A few items in my watch list:
A set of Delft ceramics from the 1600s depicting various mythological sea-creatures >$700
A 1700s book about an infamous scandal at the Vatican >$300
An autographed book by one of history's greatest whistle-blowers >$300
A Renaissance statuette of a Roman goddess >$300

Recent splurge purchases:
A copy of a sealed court record relating to an infamous attempted murder ~$100
The autograph of a famous 17th-Century regicide >$200

No sooner am I back on my financial feet from one ridiculous purchase than I am ready to make another. Ebay is a helluva drug.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I have never bought anything from eBay.. I have an extensive 1970's to 90's comic collection though.. and browsed eBay just to familiarize myself with current prices..

Wow..The first thing I noticed was the marked price drop from what the shops would offer to buy mine for 20 years ago.. The accessibility of the internet had made collecting seems like a dream.. But selling them seems like a waste..

Ok now to be honest I really only typed all that to be able to say this without being tagged off topic;

I am so happy to see you this active on the boards again.!! It's been way to long...

With no idea what ails you.. I will add you into my nightly blessings for a quick recovery. You were one of the first to welcome me into this community all those years ago and I will never forget how at home you helped me feel..

God bless bro,

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

When my dad died I inherited quite a bunch of stuff...so not wanting some of it I listed it on ebay.
I made a ton of cash selling obscure post cards and foreign money. I kept the stuff that 'spoke' to me and helped my daughter with her basketball stuff with the rest. Thanks Dad!
It amazed me the things that folks were interested in buying.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Good! I've sold on eBay since 2003, come buy my stuff!

I hope you are recovering nicely and will be out of hospital soon.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Used to do the eBay thing - I'm an avid reader and book collector, eBay's great for that. may get back into it, though, as over the last two years I lost most of the possessions I had. Ah well. Sorry you're in hospital, though.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Made another 11 purchases today. mostly music.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
OMG. Now Amazon too.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hanging pictures in the house today. Needed some to fill up space so I took 2 from my room. I was looking for an excuse to buy this.

www.ebay.ca...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

It's like the world's greatest yard sale. I have gotten so many good deals on there over the past 20 years that I lost track. You just need to be patient and not over pay for something that will eventually pop back up at a later date.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My current favourite eBay items (in an ironical manner) are the lumps of 'GENUINE coal from RMS Titanic!' and 'GENUINE mooring rope from RMS Titanic!', each of which comes with a little plaque and a printed certificate saying that, no, it really is totally and honestly a genuine artefact from the Titanic. Usually for around $50, although I have seen them both higher and lower priced.

These keep popping into my 'recommendations' and are apparently based on what the algorithms think I might be interested in.

I don't know who wrote those algorithms, but I hope eBay kept the receipt.

I also particularly love the listings that try to cram everything into the description line to baffle eBay's classifications and bewilder easily-misled buyers, so you get things like "Ultra RARE secret scarce VINTAGE L@@K memories HILARIOUS fridge magnet SNOOPY 1970s wow relisted!!!" and it's so confusing you aren't even sure what the item is till you look at the close-up pictures.

Also, people trying to sell very dull books by ludicrously exaggerating and misrepresenting the contents. E.g., John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress -- which is one of the all-time most dreary and unreadable books in the pantheon of English religious literature -- listed as an occult book featuring "DEMONS prophecy AFTERLIFE visions HELL angels philosophy"
edit on 7-9-2017 by audubon because: clarification

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I get all my auto parts from ebay motors..why you ask?

Starter for my wife's Saturn was $245.00 at O'ripoffs (O'rielly's) and $320.00 at Autoboned (Autozone)

Ebay motors had one for $35.00 free shipping..

Fuel injectors for my Jeep Cherokee here in town were $106.00 each..

Ebay motors, I got all 6 for $94.00

I love Ebay....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Husband and I are looking at picking up some kid's old used LEGO collection for our kid for Christmas.

That is a fantastic idea. Probably get a ton for next to nothing.

I got a couple of Harry Potter Interactive Wands for about $30 each ($50 in the parks). Going to cut off the tips, and use them in a ring, and in my cane. (fun to freak out the kids as they wonder how I'm doing it without a wand). I'm a big nerd.

Got my wife one of those BB-8 droids that actually follows you, etc. Sells for about $150, got it for $80. (She cosplays as Rey, I as old Luke from Force Awakens).

I like finding old boardgames on E-bay. Surprising how much some of those go far.

Some are going for HUNDREDS of dollars.

Amazon is usually my go-to though.
edit on 30-3-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

join