It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Saddest MLB At-Bat Ever.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
One of the hardest things to do in sports is to hit a baseball. A round stick, trying to hit a round ball, traveling over 90 MPH, the ball moving sometimes as if its going to hit you just before it cuts over the plate.

A batter has just milliseconds to decide if the pitch is going to be in the strike zone, what kind of pitch it is, how fast it is going, where it will be when it crosses the plate, and whether to swing, let it go by, or get the hell out of the way. All this with the external pressure of runners on base, score of the game, ball / strike count, how many outs there are, or the hostile fans of a rival club.

A good batter can tell what kind of pitch it is going to be by small clues, such as the release point of the pitchers arm, the pattern the spinning ball is making in the air, or the arm speed of the pitcher. A good pitcher can mask some of these clues to confuse the batter.

I've said all this to say its understandable someone who has never had an at-bat at the major league level could be a little nervous and scared. That was the case back in 2011 when relief pitcher Santiago Casilla was sent to the plate to face off against Marlins pitcher Jose Ceda for his first at-bat in his 8 years in the majors. His team was winning 5-2 with 2 outs in the 8th inning. His teams closer was unavailable and the manager wanted him to pitch again in the 9th so he did not pinch hit for him.

With strict orders to just go up there and not swing, Casilla made his way to the plate .

Now logic would tell you that if the opposing team knew you intended to strike out they probably would just go easy and throw 3 strikes down the middle. Casilla either tried to telegraph that he had no intention of swinging or he was understandably scared, or possibly both.

Here is how far he stood away from the plate, with one foot out of the batters box.

So how did this turn out for Casilla? Just watch for yourself.

Ceda friggin walked him on 4 pitches

Cassilla was confused, he didn't know what to do with his bat, he even walked back to the dugout to take off his gear before going to first.

So the guy with the least interest in reaching base EVER.....reached base. All because the guy on the mound couldn't throw three uncontested strikes. He couldn't even throw one.

I don't care what the manager says, if I get my first ever at bat, I'm swinging at everything. It would probably be the only chance you get and having a career average batting 1000 would be awesome.

If you're interested these guys break it down pretty good and give you about 10 more reasons why it is the saddest ever. Enjoy.

edit on 16-8-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Cool video. Love all the statistical stuff.

Remember when Jose Canseco tried to pitch once and ended up hurting himself? Gotta find that one.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Me too, baseball is full of statistics.

Jose Canseco, remember when he shot his own finger off? Lmao

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

There was also that time someone hit a homerun off Canseco's head.

youtu.be...

Jose Canseco has now hijacked this thread!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Yea he was a meathead, I guess the juice helped that one not hurt.

Should that have been a ground head rule double?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Probably the only profession in the world where you will be a MULTIMILLIONAIRE when you FAIL 70% of the time.
(As a hitter)

A player with at least 3-4 years under his belt who averages .300 in those three seasons will be an all-star and loaded.

All for 3 hits out of every 10 at bats.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
John kruk and Randy Johnson had a hilarious one in an all star game.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

Have you tried to hit a major league pitcher?
I tried 20 years ago against a minor league one and it's a stone cold bitch.
30% success is hard to imagine.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Have you tried to hit a major league pitcher?

I did, but he was too far away and I was only using .22SR.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Is it to soon to make jokes about shooting people on the baseball diamond?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Here are some regular folk trying to hit a 100 MPH fastball.

edit on 16-8-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Is it to soon to make jokes about shooting people on the baseball diamond?

Since when am I the paragon of good taste?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Good point, my apologies.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
Here are some regular folk trying to hit a 100 MPH fastball.

I took BP at Yankee Stadium once, they were throwing around 75-80 and it wasn't easy.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Hey shouldnt you two be over HERE defending that wacky Masonic founder of the Klan?

People are starting to notice the lack of masonic shills around here. BACK TO WORK

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I'm already in that thread throwing bean balls.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yea but it looks easy on TV.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Yea but it looks easy on TV.

It isn't, I lined a couple down the right field line (I'm righty) and that was only because I was late. Plus I was using a 32ounce bat which was the lightest they had.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

How did you get to do that? I'm pretty jealous.

I went to a Yankees / Red sox game at the old Yankee stadium and it was the best game I've ever been to. I don't even remember who won or the game for that matter. Just all the fan fights.

Yankee fans would find a sox fan, and they would all point and chant "asshole, asshole" until the sox fan got kicked out!

And you're right it's very hard. I take my son to the batting cages and I've tried to hit the very fast machine. It's almost impossible

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

How did you get to do that? I'm pretty jealous.

Season ticketholder since 1996, so they have special events for the longer standing ticket owners. We also took BP in the simulator like in your video which I found to be harder than on the field with the BP pitchers. We also got to play catch in the outfield and soft toss in the bull pen.

They did other things like private tours and player meet and greets but this was in my opinion the most interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join