It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft v Fancy Bear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Microsoft has been battling Fancy Bear since August 2016, right after the DNC hack. They are using the courts to gain control of any domains used by Fancy Bear hacks. When infected systems phone home for orders they are phoning Microsoft instead. They have taken 70 domains so far.

www.thedailybeast.com...

www.noticeofpleadings.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

Microsoft doesn’t name Russia in its suit, instead describing Fancy Bear as a “sophisticated and well-resourced organization”

Please go back to school and learn to read first before posting. Your OP is fake and click bait.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

WikiLeaks Reveals CIA Teams Up With Tech to Collect Ideas For Malware Development

According to the documents leaked by WikiLeaks, Raytheon Blackbird Technologies, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) contractor, submitted nearly five such reports to CIA as part of UMBRAGE Component Library (UCL) project between November 2014 and September 2015.
These reports contain brief analysis about proof-of-concept ideas and malware attack vectors — publically presented by security researchers and secretly developed by cyber espionage hacking groups.

Reports submitted by Raytheon were allegedly helping CIA's Remote Development Branch (RDB) to collect ideas for developing their own advanced malware projects.
It was also revealed in previous Vault 7 leaks that CIA's UMBRAGE malware development teams also borrow codes from publicly available malware samples to built its own spyware tools.

Previous Vault 7 CIA Leaks Last week, WikiLeaks revealed CIAs Highrise Project that allowed the spying agency to stealthy collect and forwards stolen data from compromised smartphones to its server through SMS messages. Since March, the whistle-blowing group has published 17 batches of "Vault 7" series, which includes the latest and last week leaks, along with the following batches:

BothanSpy and Gyrfalcon — two alleged CIA implants that allowed the spying agency to intercept and exfiltrate SSH credentials from targeted Windows and Linux operating systems using different attack vectors.

OutlawCountry – An alleged CIA project that allowed it to hack and remotely spy on computers running the Linux operating systems.

- ELSA – the alleged CIA malware that tracks geo-location of targeted PCs and laptops running the Microsoft Windows operating system.

- Brutal Kangaroo – A tool suite for Microsoft Windows used by the agency to targets closed networks or air-gapped computers within an organisation or enterprise without requiring any direct access.

- Cherry Blossom – An agency's framework, basically a remotely controllable firmware-based implant, used for monitoring the Internet activity of the targeted systems by exploiting vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi devices.

- Pandemic – A CIA's project that allowed the agency to turn Windows file servers into covert attack machines that can silently infect other computers of interest inside a targeted network.

- Athena – A CIA's spyware framework that has been designed to take full control over the infected Windows PCs remotely, and works against every version of Microsoft's Windows operating systems, from Windows XP to Windows 10.

- AfterMidnight and Assassin – Two alleged CIA malware frameworks for the Microsoft Windows platform that has been designed to monitor and report back actions on the infected remote host computer and execute malicious actions.

- Archimedes – Man-in-the-middle (MitM) attack tool allegedly created by the CIA to target computers inside a Local Area Network (LAN).

- Scribbles – A piece of software allegedly designed to embed 'web beacons' into confidential documents, allowing the spying agency to track insiders and whistleblowers.

- Grasshopper – Framework that allowed the spying agency to easily create custom malware for breaking into Microsoft's Windows and bypassing antivirus protection.

- Marble – Source code of a secret anti-forensic framework, basically an obfuscator or a packer used by the CIA to hide the actual source of its malware.

- Dark Matter – Hacking exploits the agency designed to target iPhones and Macs.

- Weeping Angel – Spying tool used by the agency to infiltrate smart TV's, transforming them into covert microphones.

- Year Zero – Alleged CIA hacking exploits for popular hardware and software.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

I never said anything about Russia lol check yourself. I found the court documents informative in detailing Fancy Bears operations. What do you mean it's fake? You don't think MS has taken over 70 of their sites?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Yeah and vault 7 leads to speculation that the CIA might be responsible for the DNC hack. Microsoft is going after them either way. Maybe thats what it takes to get the truth out.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh that medved... I love it when IT's go public. Doing pentesting and calling it hacking (or was it the other way around ?). Bottomline Bad russians... I'm sick of that american propaganda. Microsoft is one big leak ! I mean all their products are crap. NSA keys in the software to start with. and patching up the OS by mandatory virusscanners. Backdoors for everyone... but blame it all on the MEDVED really so simple. Change your OS and be protected. Microsoft is the real hacker in this , it's hacking the wallets of their customers....

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

It is more than their OS. They have several "helpful" tools that systems can use under the hood. Did you know they have a 'free' tool that system builders can use to check for illegal images in the background? This is very appealing for anyone that wants to make an app that deals with attachments of any kind as a major CYA. Just upload it to Microsoft.

azure.microsoft.com...

But again, this lawsuit goes against an argument that Microsoft is complicit in some sort of Fancy Bear/CIA conspiracy. And helps to shine a light on the details of such a theory. Maybe this whole lawsuit is a rouse, but considering it has been under the MSM radar it isn't very good propaganda so I have doubts.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Microsoft can’t even make a decent browser. If I were Fancy Bear I wouldn’t worry

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

ha yes the background images I agree and add...

... thats datamining. Sorry I dont trust anything Microsoft. I've decades of experience dealing with the company. Was MCSE certified once and saw the ugly side of this coorperation at first hand (they did also a lot of good things). I only trust OS'es which I can compile myself (Like freebsd). The whole Fancy Bear thing well ... what ever happened to the lazarus group ? Just a word nothing more isn't it ? Scriptkiddies as scapegoat using backorifrice , decoys (). If there's a bug in the system blame a shady hackergroup. NATO uses cyberwar as a excuse to fill the Russian border with war equipment. Real hacking is done on a social level , the computer is just a tool.... to control the population that wants to be controlled.

top topics

join