It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exactly 48 Years Ago History Was Launched

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I was alive then!!!

I was born on July 15th 1969 so obviously I wasn't completely aware that other, less momentous but still important events were occuring.

Well done spacemen, well done Mum!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: Raggedyman

NASA Nazi's Are Still Alive- yes come ww3 we will find out just what they do have up there

Not before Area51 with all them secret UFO's and aliens. America is meant to be land of the free. Area51 is considered as not free. Americans have the right to storm Area51 if SHTF. The Gov is already asking for it.
edit on 17-7-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Not to rain on your parade but really, significant?
In what way?

What came out of landing on the moon, a warm fuzzy feeling, jokes,about expensive pens?
I believe orbiting satellites was far more important

Maybe 50 years later it has become ho hum, maybe I don't get it

It was the first time in 4.5 billion years that life left earth and touched the moon... Ya your smart phone is way more important...lol

Yeah, my smart phone is way more important

Millions starving and you send a man to the moon for a walk and pick up some rocks

Public education
Government health care ( yay the USA, one of the few western country's without it)
Community
Welfare
Printing press
Fair wages ( didn't get that either😢)
But NO
A man walking on the moon, only in America could people put the irrelevant before the relevant and think they are smart

Looks like both healthcare as well as good education is lacking

But I get the resentment for my opinion of the moon landings relevance
What many in the US were taught as a big achievement and many outside the US don't care and see no real value in.
Hurts the ego I guess, the national ego...

But that's just my opinion
edit on 17-7-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: essentialtremors

You're also the fellow that didn't think D-Day was too important.

Maybe significant historical moments aren't your area of expertise.

Yes I am the fellow who asked if DDay was important
I didn't say it wasn't important

Sending a man to the moon, what did it achieve, nothing
Seriously it was just an ego building excercise during the Cold War
The us were embarrassed the Russians would do it first, it had no value other than creating a warm fuzzy feeling and makes a bunch of old men who should know better, fantasise like pre tee girls dreaming of being princesses

Only those in the US could get it, I guess that's how you were conditioned, what you were taught to believe

Yes I have a smart phone and it is way more relevant to me than a man walking on the moon

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Try looking up away from that screen on your phone.

Where do you think many of the scientific advancements that enabled the cell phone came from, or were the inspiration of...?

The Space Race. The culmination of which hasn't come just yet...though Apollo, all of 'em, was certainly a highlight. Without the Space Race and the sciences spurred by it, would things be as they are now? Unlikely.

As for the millions starving? How has that changed since the slowdown of the space programs may I ask? To imply that the fate of those poor people would somehow have been improved by the nonexistence of the various space programs is ludicrous.

The United States has spent just short of 500 billion dollars for the Space Program, not including various unmanned missions, since 1959.

2013 US foreign aid, alone was somewhere between 15 and 20 billion dollars, the figures I found were inexact to put it mildly. Let's go with the lesser amount... 15 billion dollars.

The United States has, at a guess, spent somewhere in the neighborhood of a trillion dollars in foreign aid, perhaps more since the implementation of the manned space program in 1959, that's totally discounting private aid by charities or individuals which would add significant totals to that amount.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

What, really
without the space race it wouldnt have happened, get real
Military is what advanced everything, not your imaginary space race with the Ruskis, cold war crap

I couldnt give a toss about your aid and your arrogance

A man walked on the moon, I dont care, not one bit, sorry it hurts your feelings but it means diddly squat to me
Oh look we have rocks, and a pen that writes in space, woop woop

Suck it up

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Apollo 11 moon landing: top 15 Nasa inventions

Here are the top 15 space spin-offs:

1. CAT scanner: this cancer-detecting technology was first used to find imperfections in space components.

2. Computer microchip: modern microchips descend from integrated circuits used in the Apollo Guidance Computer.

3. Cordless tools: power drills and vacuum cleaners use technology designed to drill for moon samples.

4. Ear thermometer: a camera-like lens that detects infrared energy we feel as heat was originally used to monitor the birth of stars.

5. Freeze-dried food: this reduces food weight and increases shelf life without sacrificing nutritional value.

6. Insulation: home insulation uses reflective material that protects spacecraft from radiation.

7. Invisible braces: teeth-straightening is less embarrassing thanks to transparent ceramic brace brackets made from spacecraft materials.

8. Joystick: this computer gaming device was first used on the Apollo Lunar Rover.

9. Memory foam: created for aircraft seats to soften landing, this foam, which returns to its original shape, is found in mattresses and shock absorbing helmets.

10. Satellite television: technology used to fix errors in spacecraft signals helps reduce scrambled pictures and sound in satellite television signals.

11. Scratch resistant lenses: astronaut helmet visor coating makes our spectacles ten times more scratch resistant.

12. Shoe insoles: athletic shoe companies adapted space boot designs to lessen impact by adding spring and ventilation.

13. Smoke detector: Nasa invented the first adjustable smoke detector with sensitivity levels to prevent false alarms.

14. Swimsuit: Nasa used the same principles that reduce drag in space to help create the world’s fastest swimsuit for Speedo, rejected by some professionals for giving an unfair advantage.

15. Water filter: domestic versions borrow a technique Nasa pioneered to kill bacteria in water taken into space.

Great thread.

Shame I wasn't alive at the time to witness history in the making.
edit on 1772017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

What came out of landing on the moon, a warm fuzzy feeling, jokes,about expensive pens?

although not all was invented for walking on the moon NASA and the space program came up with lots of technology and improved many existing ones, there was Memory Foam, Space Blankets, Cordless Vacuums and other tools, Infrared Ear Thermometers, there are more.

i'd say with out the space program life wouldn't be as easy as it is now.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

damn beat to the draw again, guess i should have read the whole thread first.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

damn beat to the draw again, guess i should have read the whole thread first.

It's all good. You mentioned a few things not in the link I posted.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

We are a little touchy, aren't we?

Take a look down the page a ways from your nice little post, and you'll see a list of things, rather tangible things, that came directly as a result of the space program.

My arrogance?

You made the remarks I was replying to, I'm sorry if you don't like it. Actually, no, I'm not a bit sorry. You've been proven wrong, yet again, and you don't like it.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Thanks TD, thats very informative.
Kinda answered my first post better than anyone else did
They all just got uppity

Anyway, I am sure in time they would have all come about

Just dont think the moon walk was that big a deal

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Maybe, maybe not.

The point is, the direct result of Apollo missions were those that have been listed (and many more).

Walking on the Moon was an achievement. Like the first to climb Everest. But getting to the Moon opened up the possibilities of going further, exploring more and, most importantly, LEARNING more. That's all it is at it's most basic level. Learning.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

In what way?

That's pretty much the exact same argument the Russians used.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

In what way?

That's pretty much the exact same argument the Russians used.

what argument,
The argument that says "who cares"
Thats a statement

Do you really believe that the moon landing was
"the most important and ambitious human endeavor in history"

Lets consider

1. CAT scanner: this cancer-detecting technology was first used to find imperfections in space components.
Thats pretty good

2. Computer microchip: modern microchips descend from integrated circuits used in the Apollo Guidance Computer. I am sure this was private researcg as well as NASA, but ok, thats nice

3. Cordless tools: power drills and vacuum cleaners use technology designed to drill for moon samples.
Wow, a cordless drill, a battery pack on a drill, who woulda thought

4. Ear thermometer: a camera-like lens that detects infrared energy we feel as heat was originally used to monitor the birth of stars. Well they were a priority, the worlds people can breathe in relief, disaster averted

5. Freeze-dried food: this reduces food weight and increases shelf life without sacrificing nutritional value.
Awesome for when I go camping, but really

6. Insulation: home insulation uses reflective material that protects spacecraft from radiation.
So insulation, before NASA no insulation then, hardly

7. Invisible braces: teeth-straightening is less embarrassing thanks to transparent ceramic brace brackets made from spacecraft materials. Well thats saved a few kids from dying of smiles

8. Joystick: this computer gaming device was first used on the Apollo Lunar Rover.
Oh JOY

9. Memory foam: created for aircraft seats to soften landing, this foam, which returns to its original shape, is found in mattresses and shock absorbing helmets. You know maybe, but nah, but maybe, but nah

10. Satellite television: technology used to fix errors in spacecraft signals helps reduce scrambled pictures and sound in satellite television signals. TV, well I would die if I didnt have sattelite, should be red. Concession for the foam

11. Scratch resistant lenses: astronaut helmet visor coating makes our spectacles ten times more scratch resistant.
Only because its looking so one sided with red. Scratchless lenses, so what?

12. Shoe insoles: athletic shoe companies adapted space boot designs to lessen impact by adding spring and ventilation.
Hmmm, really

13. Smoke detector: Nasa invented the first adjustable smoke detector with sensitivity levels to prevent false alarms. That has saved lives, ok

14. Swimsuit: Nasa used the same principles that reduce drag in space to help create the world’s fastest swimsuit for Speedo, rejected by some professionals for giving an unfair advantage. No really, just why, really "the world’s fastest swimsuit" really

15. Water filter: domestic versions borrow a technique Nasa pioneered to kill bacteria in water taken into space.
Hippocrates invented the water filter, NASA just made it different, I will concede, though there were plenty on the market in the 60s

Meh a steal at
"The Apollo space programme cost was given as $25.4 billion, ..."http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/5852237/Apollo-11-Moon-landing-ten-facts-about-Armstrong-Aldrin-and-Collins-mission.html

To me there are greater things

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

You seem to think that people actually care what you think. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but we really don't.

Like I've said, the main goal was learning. Something you're clearly inept at.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

You seem to think that people actually care what you think. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but we really don't.

Like I've said, the main goal was learning. Something you're clearly inept at.

Well if they/you didnt you wouldnt reply

So the evidence proves again, you are wrong.
Not that I have seen you ever fully understand what and how evidence is calculated

Now, here is some advice, before replying and showing that you do care what I think, confirming that you are more foolish than you have already indicated
Dont reply

So anyone other than TD, because he is to clever and doesnt care to reply

Why did NASA go to the moon

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Replying doesn't equal caring.

As for your question? It's been answered.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Thats amazing.

Did you know that NASA actually erased, copied over the original landing video tapes to save money.

When they realized what they did they had to go and ask news agencies internationally for their copies of the televised video feed.

It sparked many conspiracy theories.

This stuff is awesome. S&F

edit on 7 18 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Replying doesn't equal caring.

As for your question? It's been answered.

I knew you cared

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join