It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China may consider putting pressure to North Korea in exchange for domination of Southeast Asia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well China finally decided to show its intention to become an imperialist power

Unfortunately, China recognizes it has major leverage. Accounting for around 75 percent of North Korean exports — the equivalent of $1.1 trillion to the U.S. economy — China knows that if it tells North Korea to do something, Pyongyang's leaders have a vested interest in listening. And here's the catch: China also knows that the U.S. government is aware of its prospective influencing power.

And from China's perspective, that's an opportunity.

Because nothing is free. In return for altering North Korean behavior, China wants the U.S. to yield to its quest to dominate Southeast Asia. It's a quest with two strategic parts. The first is the Asia Investment and Infrastructure Bank. Offering tens of billions of dollars in grants and loans, the AIIB allows China to buy, bribe, and coerce other states into accepting its economic domination. By crowding out alternate rule-of-law based investments from the U.S., China wins a monopoly of regional political influence.

The second element is military. It involves constructing artificial islands in the South China Sea, and the militarization of those islands so that China can deny vessels transit through those waters. If China can control access to these trade-going waters, it will put immense pressure on states like Vietnam and the Philippines. They will face a choice between kneeling to China's rule or enduring economic depression.

America mustn't play this game.

Were the U.S. to accept Chinese hegemony in return for pressuring North Korea, it would abandon the region to to 1930s-style imperialism. And as with President Barack Obama's Syrian red line, it would show American willingnesss to sacrifice her interests.

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Sadly due to Trump's interests in China and his incompetence in foreign policy, I'm pretty sure he may consider such option.

So folks, is it worth it for China to put pressure on Pyongyang in exchange for Chinese troops in Manila, Hanoi, etc.?

edit on 6/28/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
He will not consider such an option. We'd rather have/keep NK as a threat to use for our leverge. We'd rather have a crazy Kim than give China any additional control over the South China Sea.

The US was born at night but not last night. The Kim family are useful idiots.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not sure if you're American or not but America has more military bases and troops in foreign countries than anyone else on the planet so if anything America is imperialist, even moreso than China.

I say let China and North Korea make whatever deals they want, it's between them and them alone.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm American.

Well I'll admit right now America is the dominant imperialist power but make no mistake, China has expansionist desires of its own. If it wasn't for US presence in South East Asia, China would have already attached Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines etc. as part of its new Empire.
edit on 6/28/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Do not underestimate the surrounding nations, while I have not looked it up in some time I know Japan was reaching out to the other nations to try and form something like Nato to be a check against China.

Also Vietnam already whipped China's backside in a little border skirmish in 79 ish... need more than just a techno advantage when you enter some of those countries.

(As America learned in Vietnam)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm American.

Well I'll admit right now America is the dominant imperialist power but make no mistake, China has expansionist desires of its own. If it wasn't for US presence in South East Asia, China would have already attached Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines etc. as part of its new Empire.

That would be a good thing if you find one person outside the US who can say
"I believe America does a good job as defender of freedom and human rights"
with a straight face.
You're the number 1 hated and laughed at people. Don't kid yourself.
Kim Kardashian (?)
Trump as president
Honey Boo-Boo
Drones
American Psycho
Jersey Shore
The Amish
Gang violence
Industrialised
Capitalistic, to the horrific with prisons being private business

I mean I love you guys here, but seriously that's your cultural, superficial, cruel output. Nobody would vote for you as president of the world.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

China has expansionist desires of its own.

China has been expansionist from the year dot. Anyone remember Tibet? Have people forgotten the South China Sea - yea, the entire Sea.

Fluffy and Pink is not what China is.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

doesn't surprise me. China wants south china sea but faces opposition. if we sell out our allies there they would help with NK.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TomMcCant

There is a recent article stating that China may consider building their own military base in Pakistan. I wonder if this is related.

LONDON — Nuclear-armed Pakistan is a key ally of the United States — but the relationship is far from untroubled. And one of Washington's main geopolitical rivals appears ready to step in. The Pentagon is warning that the Islamic republic may soon house a Chinese military base.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Once China has South-East Asia in their pocket, they would go for the world; Europe then the USA.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thats a big pricetag for alot of nothing .... if china wants it they must FIX the entire nk problem ... i doubt they will ever do that

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Yeah that wont happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Well the alternative would be China taking over South Korea

After shocking us with the threat of catastrophic war, Allison uses that risk to justify his proposal to avert the crisis. Professor Allison states, in a manner that sounds like he has first-hand knowledge, that “some people in Mr. Xi’s circle” say the crisis could be solved by first, China removing the Kim regime, and unifying North and South Korea under a pro-Beijing Seoul, second, removing U.S. troops, and third, ending the U.S.-South Korea alliance. Like Xi reportedly provided to Trump, these “people in Mr. Xi’s circle” even give a historical justification to buttress the Chinese proposal for China’s administration and shaping of Korean unification. In the core of his argument, Allison says,

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Well the alternative would be China taking over South Korea

The chances of that happening are remote, at best.

In reality, for the problem of the North to be fully addressed the two Koreas need to be unified, and this should be under South Korean jurisdiction as they are the stable partner. Sadly, the only reason why the North is still there is because China (and Russia to lesser extent) keep the the old dictatorship going.

China just does not want a unified Korea and a successful democracy on their borders.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
China needs to pressure North Korea before they blow half their Kingdom and Chinas along with South Korea to hell and back. Insanity rules the day.

new topics

top topics

join