It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor man substitutes, what are yours?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Bleu cheese dressing on spaghetti.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Between this and your rueben casserole how the hell are you still alive?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I don't do black coffee either. Organic cream and the tiniest bit of raw cane sugar with a sprinkle of cinnamon is my caffeinated bliss. However, I've been left numerous times with no cream or sugar, or money to blow on them...both of those things are not very cheap and, much like you, getting my coffee goodies restocked makes me do the Happy Dance.

I've substituted whipped cream...don't do cool whip because it is pure oil and sugar...blerkkk...and ice cream, numerous times. Coffee ice cream in coffee is absolutely orgasmic, by the way.

A couple months ago I found myself in such a situation and the only thing I had in the pantry was a little tub of cocoa mix...one of my winter comfort throwbacks. So I made some mocha. It's very good. It doesn't get that white creamy look; you've gotta mix it in really well, and it looks like a rather suspicious cup of dirty black coffee, but it's very rich and creamy tasting. Just the right amount of sweet for me too, but you could add sugar if need be. I sprinkled cinnamon in mine, as per usual, which is a lifelong habit.

I think that tub of cocoa costs less than two dollars, so it's very easy to keep some on hand. You can also mix it into vanilla ice cream to make chocolate, or into whipped cream to make an instant chocolate mousse...which can also be frozen, by the way, into ice trays with Popsicle sticks and has the consistency of gelatoπŸ˜‰.

A quick cheap savory dish that's actually healthy too, is cooked pasta tossed in a hot skillet with olive or grape seed oil, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, a little salt, garlic and Parmesan cheese. All of those items are staples in my kitchen all the time...I grow my own peppers and tomatoes but they're inexpensive and last a good long while in the vegetable crisper if you buy them. I make this dish regardless of whether or not it's "Cheap Week" in the Tiger Den, and it's very nourishing and fresh tasting. Eat your heart out, Olive Garden.πŸ˜‹πŸ˜πŸ˜‰πŸ˜œπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Between this and your rueben casserole how the hell are you still alive?

I live because dying would make too many happy.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I get that, the party would most likely be at my place but I really want to know, with what you eat and all, if your blood type is butter.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I get that, the party would most likely be at my place but I really want to know, with what you eat and all, if your blood type is butter.

Close.

You know the stuff that get's caked at the bottom of your disposal after butchering a hog, making a cake, making bathtub gin, and a dirty bomb in your sink?

Yeah.

I bleed that.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You are a walking superfund site.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

You are a walking superfund site.

The government listed me as a historical monument. It's not bad, but the brown signs they put on my thighs get annoying.

But back on topic, a tasty treat is also. . . .

a bagel, cream cheese, thinly sliced cucumber, tomato and onion!

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
beans cornbread git full.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

A little thing, my gardens always seems to have kale and red veined sorrel, but depending on the growth cycle, not always lettuce. So as a replacement for lettuce I combine the sorrel with the kale. The sorrel has a lemony taste that offsets the bitter kale.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

is it a sweet pie crust or just a regular pie crust?
you could use about three of four eggs, slice potatoes kinda thin, slice some zucchini and squash, a bit of minced garlic...make a sort of veggie pie. and it's accidentally healthy.

for dessert, maybe crunch up a granola bar and put a dash of flat Dr. pepper in it. just a dash. put it in the fridge to let it chill out. there ya go!

I've grown so used to living with meager supplies that I look at every trip to the kitchen as a mystery challenge.
poor people make the best chefs!
and stoned people.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
when I was a kid, the was an elderly couple that were friends of the mom that would come every so often in the summer to gather up the dandelion greens in our yard, don't know if they wanted them to make wine or to eat, or both really...

cat tails are also edible, along with many other common things that grow around us. although I don't know how they would affect someone with a sensitive digestive system... learning what can be eaten if times gets rough could be a good idea.

www.wakingtimes.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

ive been there my friend.
i used to eat the # out of white rice and sugar.
get the cheapest rice and the cheapest sugar.

boil rice like normal then add sugar to sweeten it up.

potted meat and crackers. those cans of potted meat are like 30 cents a piece. cheap crackers. if youre really feeling like a little something special you can put mustard on it

english muffins with butter and bacon bits

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just a thought, for saving money, extreme couponing!

Look up your local shop online for deals. They don't always advertise but you can get a lot and save big money.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
think you said you had cheese???

you probably could use your imagination a little on how to use the pizza dough, which just requires your bisquick and hot water...

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
manolo taste on a payless budget. such is the statement of life.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
YES MY MOM IS THE FOOD FAIRY!!!!

She just brought me FOOOOOOOOOD! So much of it. I am ready to eat it all. I got veggies, bread, fruit, eggs, meat and PIZZA! The pizza is in the oven. She brought me homemade eggplant parmesan and chicken parmesan along with her homemade italian bread.

I know my mom can't afford what she did but I am grateful she did. She knew I was really down about not having food in the house and she knows my stomach issues make it hard to eat just anything. I really can't. It makes me sick. Processed foods I can't eat, they severely mess with my body. She brought me all kinds of healthy foods and snacks. I am good to go until I get paid!!! I was seriously starting to worry what I would be eating and what my dog would eat. She brought me some tuna so now Rosco gets his own meals. I have veggies for him too! Whew...that was cutting it close!

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Speaking of food, going out in a few minutes to "feed" our oldest son who is also hungry and broke.

Glad to see things getting better for you.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend
manolo taste on a payless budget. such is the statement of life.

Hang out behind Domino's take out...Sometimes they give away slices when they turn funky.
edit on 25-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Speaking of food, going out in a few minutes to "feed" our oldest son who is also hungry and broke.

Glad to see things getting better for you.

She called me this morning and asked what I needed. I told her some milk would be great and some bread and canned veggies, well she brought me so much more. She kept calling me while she was at the store and I was laughing. My mom is one of those Italian moms, gives you a ton of food. I know money is tight for her as well but she did good, so good! She even got me asiago bagels from the deli and cream cheese. OH how that will be so good for breakfast. I can't wait to make an egg sandwich in the morning! Even my mom chuckled at my empty fridge, freezer and pantry. I mean what else can I do. She knows how I stock up. I had so much in my freezer that i saved just in case and I am glad I did because those just incase items fed me the last month! In a way I am glad my son is not here and with his dad because I wouldn't have had anything to feed him and that would have stressed me out more. I am kind of hard on myself when it comes to asking for help. I've always done everything on my own that I don't like asking for help because in my mind I feel like I failed or was defeated. I have had to suck that up a lot lately. I can't help what happened and well things are working out so I am happy for that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join