It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Meaning of Life??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Does It Matter What You Believe? Was Life Created? (page 29, final page after looking into all the evidence)

Do you think that life has a purpose? Evolutionist William B. Provine says: “What we have learned about the evolutionary process has enormous implications for us, affecting our sense of meaning in life.” His conclusion? “I can see no cosmic or ultimate meaning in human life.”32

Consider the significance of those words. If ultimate meaning in life were nonexistent, then you would have no purpose in living other than to try to do some measure of good and perhaps pass on your genetic traits to the next generation. At death, you would cease to exist forever. Your brain, with its ability to think, reason, and meditate on the meaning of life, would simply be an accident of nature.

That is not all. Many who believe in evolution assert that God does not exist or that he will not intervene in human affairs. In either case, our future would rest in the hands of political, academic, and religious leaders. Judging from the past record of such men, the chaos, conflict, and corruption that blight human society would continue. If, indeed, evolution were true, there would seem to be ample reason to live by the fatalistic motto: “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die.”—1 Corinthians 15:32.

By contrast, the Bible teaches: “With [God] is the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9) Those words have profound implications.

If what the Bible says is true, life does have meaning. Our Creator has a loving purpose that extends to all who choose to live in accord with his will. (Ecclesiastes 12:13) That purpose includes the promise of life in a world free of chaos, conflict, and corruption—and even free of death.—Psalm 37:10, 11; Isaiah 25:6-8.

With good reason, millions of people around the world believe that learning about God and obeying him give meaning to life as nothing else can! (John 17:3) Such a belief is not based on mere wishful thinking. The evidence is clear—life was created.

32. Science, Technology, and Social Progress, edited by Steven L. Goldman, “Evolution and the Foundation of Ethics,” by William B. Provine, 1989, pp. 253, 266.

Science and the Bible Helped Me Find the Meaning of Life: Awake!—2005

Finally, I became a doctor of physics at the University of Augsburg in 1993.
My study of physics gave me a deeper grasp of the natural laws of the universe. I had hoped that science would ultimately reveal to me what life is all about. However, my search for the meaning of life went beyond physics. In 1991, I traveled with a group to India to learn Oriental meditation. What a wonderful experience to see the country and its people firsthand! But I was aghast at the contrast between rich and poor.

Near the city of Pune, for instance, we visited a guru who claimed that cultivating the correct meditation techniques could help someone to become rich. We meditated as a group each morning. The guru also sold medications at high prices. He clearly earned a handsome living; his lifestyle suggested as much. We also saw monks who appeared to be living in poverty, in contrast with the guru. I wondered, ‘Why didn’t meditation also make them rich?’ My trip to India seemed to pose as many questions as it answered.
Science and the Bible

Some may wonder how a person who has spent years studying science can believe what the Bible says. Well, I find no contradiction between science and the Bible. As a physicist, I have studied the laws governing life, and these laws give evidence that they were designed by a superhuman intelligence.
To suggest, as many evolutionists do, that life developed by chance is stretching credibility too far.
The most reasonable explanation is that a superintelligent Being created humans and all other forms of life on earth. Would this Being, who is the Creator, do such a thing without having a purpose? Of course not. He must have had a purpose, and that purpose is revealed and made understandable in the Bible.

edit on 30-6-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChemicalAli

We spend so much time living life, yet not enough time thinking about what are we doing alive. Ponder over the meaning of life, the purpose of our existence, who is responsible for our creation and what happens when we leave.

Is Belief in God Reasonable? Awake!—2010

Genuine “faith,” says the Bible, is “the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.” (Hebrews 11:1) The New English Bible renders the verse this way: “Faith . . . makes us certain of realities we do not see.” No doubt you can think of a number of unseen realities in which you firmly believe.

To illustrate: Many respected historians believe that Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and Jesus Christ once lived. Is the faith of these historians sound? Yes, for they can point to authentic historical evidence.

Scientists too believe in unseen realities because of the “evident demonstration” that those realities exist. For example, the 19th-century Russian chemist Dmitry Mendeleyev became entranced with the relationship between the elements, the basic building blocks of the universe. He realized that they had certain things in common and could be grouped by both atomic weight and chemical properties. Because of his faith in the order of the groups, he drafted the periodic table of the elements and correctly predicted the existence of a number of elements unknown at the time.

Archaeologists draw conclusions about earlier civilizations, often from items that have lain buried for thousands of years. Imagine, for example, that an archaeologist has unearthed dozens of carefully cut stone blocks of precisely the same size neatly aligned on top of one another. They are also set out in a distinct geometric pattern that does not occur naturally. What would the archaeologist conclude? Would he attribute his find to coincidence? Most likely not. Rather, he would interpret it as evidence of past human activities, and that would be a reasonable conclusion.

To be consistent, should we not apply the same reasoning to the design manifest in the natural world? Many people have taken that view, including respected scientists.

Blind Chance or Purposeful Design?

Years ago, British mathematician, physicist, and astronomer Sir James Jeans wrote that in the light of advancing scientific knowledge, “the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine.” He also stated that “the universe appears to have been designed by a pure mathematician” and that it provides “evidence of a designing or controlling power that has something in common with our own individual minds.”

Other scientists have arrived at a similar conclusion since Jeans penned those words. “The overall organization of the universe has suggested to many a modern astronomer an element of design,” wrote physicist Paul Davies. One of the most famous physicists and mathematicians of all time, Albert Einstein, wrote: “The fact that [the natural world] is comprehensible is a miracle.” In the eyes of many, that miracle includes life itself, from its fundamental building blocks to the amazing human brain.

DNA and the Human Brain

Molecular Machinery of Life
edit on 30-6-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ChemicalAli

So what is the meaning of your life? Or is there no meaning at all? Everyone is free to answer according to his opinion/religion but please have respect for each other's views.

The purpose of life is to have everlasting life. It is a gift from the Creator, Jesus, and His Father, The Most High. Most people do not know the reason nor do most care about the reason. The entire purpose of the Adamic creation is to offer each person the gift of eternal life in the celestial city of New Jerusalem and the new heaven and earth which is called the Kingdom of Heaven. The church and their offspring have failed miserably to teach this to the Adamic creation.

The soul consists of primarily two portions. One portion is the image which is of this earth and the other portion is the spirit which lives in the image. We all know that the Image will die and return to its source but the spirit is of a different substance and is judged and if found salvageable for the Kingdom of Heaven, will be given a new celestial body for the spirit to live in. The spirit does not require any food to retain life. Once it is given a new body it is the body that requires food to retain life of that body. That food is supplied in the Kingdom of Heaven from the trees and water of life which retains everlasting life.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

There is no meaning of life. You just live, however you choose to enjoy or suffer it.

You just said what the meaning of life is so how you can start by saying there is no meaning.

The 1 purpose that everyone's life has, the 1 thing we can all share is the 1 question that so many ponder.

The answer to what is the purpose/meaning of/to life is

to simply

experience.

That is the most basic concept to what the purpose of all life is.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think the meaning of life resides the freedom to ask the question and pursue the answer from the POV of each person's own unique perspective and spiritual/psychological experience. It's an open frame of reference, which is what makes it meaningful.

Ultimately, for the human being, I think it involves discovering that we are something greater than a mere thing of some kind, and that we may and do contain something of the Spirit of God, and that we are thus both human and divine (even though we might not express it with perfect grace and balance).

I feel that atheism places an unnecessary constraint on this realization and may also limit the freedom to explore domains of being and experience that by their very nature are invisible.

In fact, it may be that all the very best and most meaningful things are invisible and cannot be grasped or pinned down within the context of a materialist monism (matter alone is primary).

edit on 10-7-2017 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ChemicalAli

test
edit on 10-9-2017 by ChemicalAli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The truth is the the meaning of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join