It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught an F-18E making the "Jedi Transition" at Star Wars Canyon (Updated with Video)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
We made a quick trip to LA a few days ago and on the way back we ventured up through Palmdale, Plant 42, and the Mojave airport. Nothing much was brewing so decided on the fly to drive through Death Valley (our initial intent was to drive out to the Racetrack Playa which much to our disappointment the road was way to rough for our MDX) however, we did venture up Hwy 190 and made a stop at one of my bucket list aviation sites. Rainbow Canyon. It was hot well over 100, no shade and a lot of really hot wind. We waited for about 25 minutes and we were soon rewarded: The pictures were taken with a Nikon D3100 and a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lens The time stamp in the metadata is off as the batteries died and I forgot to set the date. Resolution was also downgraded to post. It looks to me to be the same F-18E and the second pass was lower than the first so I may have been the pilots first time though..... Edit: The video was shot by my son on an Iphone 6S

edit on 6/10/17 by FredT because: added video

edit on 6/10/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I really want to stop at one of those places that have cabins and spend about two days there catching stuff going through. That's a fun place, other than baking while you're there.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well caught, excellent photography. I am thoroughly enjoying viewing this.

Thanks and admiration.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Second Pass

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah its brutal there

No other aviation types were there and that was all we witnessed. You may be better suited renting an RV and parking it at the overlook which is paved and has a bathroom. Down the hill on the Playa is a place but it looks pretty spartan

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Will post a video once i get it off my sons phone

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Wow. What a job to have.

And Nice photos!

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I want to catch something like this.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

yeah I was hoping. But felt lucky to catch anything. we had about an hour there before the family runs out of patients. The road at the base in the C-17 pic can be driven out of from the rest area its about 100 yards and it gets you away from the selfie types

edit on 6/10/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Thanks Ill have a video up soon

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

We left the car in the lot, and walked about halfway down that road and parked our butts on some rocks. Caught a Viper or two, and a Hornet dropping in. One of the Vipers was out of Edwards and looked to be testing AGCAS.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I really want to stop at one of those places that have cabins and spend about two days there catching stuff going through. That's a fun place, other than baking while you're there.

They have those? For hire/rent? That sounds like a perfect get away. Oh the heat? I'm sure a case or two of cold beers can sort that out

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They're not at the Transition, but they're not too far away. They have several places that have small cabins that you can rent.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 thanks gives me something to look into for further travelling ideas. I follow a guy on facebook who's a radio controlled plane flyer and aviation photographer. He sent me some details on a place in Switzerland. The apartment over looked a Swiss airforce base and he spent all day watching F-18s take off

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They're expensive, but worth it to spend a couple days at the Transition. Especially during an exercise.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I want to catch something like this.

Now thats an awesome picture

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A+ on that video! You win the internet for today.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Caught an F-22 landing at Opa Locka Airport.

There as an air show on Miami Beach that weekend.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Nice! The F-22 is a loud sucker

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette
A+ on that video! You win the internet for today.

My son gets the credit. First time shooting aircraft and he really kept it in frame!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join