It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Russians Plan To Sue US For Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Several of the seven Russian men that were released from Guatanamo Bay in March have announced they are going to sue the US government for torture. After their release the men were detained by the Russian authorities, but then released in June. All of the Russians that were held at Guatanamo were captured in Afghanistan on suspision of fighting for the Taliban, and one Russian citizen, Ravil Mingazov, remains in Guatanamo Bay.

cnews.canoe.ca
"I am very angry at Americans for what they did to me - I have traces of their tortures on my body," Ishmuradov told Izvestia.

"I have scars on my back after being dragged on the ground," he said.

"They would beat me during interrogations and also while taking me from one place to another."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At this point, this kind of thing doesn't surprise me at all. If these men were released by their government, then I supose that means there wasn't sufficient evidence or the US wasn't willing to provide it. And if they were not guilty of what they were never charged with in the first place, they probably have every right to sue. Not that anyone ever has a chance of collecting on these suits, even if they were to win.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Despite their low chance of success, I hope they pursue this. The terrorist angle is being abused and people need to start being held accountable for the actions they committed under the almost zealous pursuit of justice.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Is there any update on this?

join