It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" chorizo frittes " = rancid oil ????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
hey - one of my culinary vices = " chorizo frittes "

shallow fried slices of dry cured sausage , served with toast

calories , " crispy carcinogens " and other " evils " be dammed

but this iis not the real reason for the thread - its the title

i has noticed that after every pan load - the oil is rancid the next day

i dont remember thiis " recepie " spoiling oil ???????????????????

i am usiingg good quality sunflower oiil [ for high temp ] - and the same brand iis fine in every other application use it

ideas ??????????`

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Use Lard.

It's better for you (doesn't produce so many carcinogens when heated) and you can re-use it. When it sets in the pan scrape it off and keep it in the fridge.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You should never re-use the oil anyway as each time it is re-used the number of carcinogenic compound's increases, good for making bio diesel though.
What you are probably seeing is the animal fat drawn out of the chorizo into the oil by the cooking process and of course remember it is not fresh animal fat either but fat from dry cured sausages.

Try grilling them instead unless you like the oil, you will have to turn them and watch you don't over cook your cured sausage slices though **(darker is worse and lightly grilled is healthier, grilling also draws the fat out especially if you use a griddle pan under the grill so that the fat drip's away from the sausage, great with grilled mushroom and steak cut chip's - fat crispy skinned french fries not those unhealthy skinny fat sponges that are served in fast food shop's the world over)** but still not totally health even then, oh well to confess when I fry I always use Irish butter and no wonder I have a dodgy heart eh?.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

That is actually true, lard is a bit tasteless though so look for good quality beef dripping especially for making fried potato chip's, a bit smelly but the taste is out of this world.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I'd guess it's the fat content of the chorizo you use rather than the sunflower oil. Chorizo is half fat and some of it is pretty much the same as lard.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've been using a blend of palm oil and coconut oil for some frying....
www.vitacost.com...

Lard is good, too.
Or, save the fat from cooking bacon....yummy!!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I've been using a blend of palm oil and coconut oil for some frying....
www.vitacost.com...

Lard is good, too.
Or, save the fat from cooking bacon....yummy!!

Bacon fat, drool! I can't eat bacon as a side dish anymore after my gallbladder was removed BUT I can use the fat from the pan and it doesn't bother me. If I crumble up some pieces and put it in a quiche it doesn't bother me but no more eating bacon by itself! It kills my stomach! I make bacon for my son and just inhale as much as I can lol and i keep the fat in a container to cook with. I use it in the cast iron for steaks or I add it to potatoes for flavor.

I have never used coconut oil for frying. I use regular cooking oil like vegetable or canola. I don't fry much but when my son wants chicken nuggets or chicken tenders I have to fry! Would the coconut oil give it a coconut flavor? I like coconut a lot but not sure if I want the food I am making to taste like it.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Coconut oil has a sweetness to it....it doesn't work all that well for certain foods...like meats, IMHO.
You can try adding salt to it, to cut the sweet.

I also use it with butter to make pancakes....maybe 3 parts coconut oil to 1 part butter.

And, FWIW, I started using that palm/coconut blend above for frying meats.....to get away from vegetable oils...
I've read they are not very healthy for you, the exceptions being palm, EEVO and coconut oils.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

(just creeping in for a moment because coconut oil was mentioned)

Would the coconut oil give it a coconut flavor? I like coconut a lot but not sure if I want the food I am making to taste like it.

There are two types!
Refined and unrefined. The unrefined being more coconutty whereas the refined has no taste at all.

(It's in a solid state because it's about 5 degrees Celsius in my house at the moment.)

I have the coconut oils, but I still mostly cook with butter... and nothing beats some saliva inducing bacon grease!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Thanks....I didn't realize that.
We use the unrefined....I guess I didn't even realize they processed one for cooking/frying.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

God,

Some fried chorizo, a fried egg, house french fries. Some toast....

Ever had the bread baked with a chorizo inside? (Bollo preñado)

God. I want.

Oh,

Yeah chorizo ruins pans and oil. Like someone said before, try using cooking chorizo. There is a thin one that is a little softer. Thats great for cooking.

edit on 6 18 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
When you make chorizo oil you bring the chorizo which has been taken out of its casing up with the oil then bringing it to a simmer for a minute then turning off the flame. Now you can strain it or just store it with the sausage.

Leaf lard is great. Always a good fat option.

And Suet is the beef fat you would be looking for.

The reason the oil is going bad is because your cooking your sausages in it. The oils are burning at too high a temp.

new topics

top topics

join