It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are YOUR children playing the Blue Whale challenge? Police warn British parents over 'suicide game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

British police are warning parents about the dangers of a sick social media 'game' that's said to be responsible for hundreds of teenage suicides in Russia. 
The 'Blue Whale challenge' encourages at-risk participants to take part in a series of tasks like cutting themselves every day for 50 days.
They are then instructed to kill themselves on the final day of the sick 'challenge'.

Are YOUR children playing the Blue Whale challenge? Police warn British parents over 'suicide game behind hundreds of Russian teen deaths' 

So, sickos have created another way to mess with kids minds via the net.

Just how many people are affected by this?
We all know that self harm is quite common among teens but turning it into some sort of grooming ritual?

Every day that goes by leaves me a little more disappointed in humanity.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Had not heard of this, thank you for posting

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Me neither, but someone posted it to a discord I am part of (God knows why, its a gaming thread) but My wife works in education and she has just told me she'd heard of it. Off a teaching forum.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

so teenagers in mongolia are surfing the net and playing this game?

this # is strange.

what kind of an impressionable dumbass would do this crap?

kids do stupid stuff. all of us did. even when i was at the height of my stupid if someone told me to cut my arms up for a while then jump off a building i would have told them to get bent

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

so teenagers in mongolia are surfing the net and playing this game?

this # is strange.

what kind of an impressionable dumbass would do this crap?

kids do stupid stuff. all of us did. even when i was at the height of my stupid if someone told me to cut my arms up for a while then jump off a building i would have told them to get bent

True enough, but I wonder if the sort of kid who is cutting anyway, would be so quick to dismiss this?
Obviously not, since there are already known cases.

What gets me, is who the hell are the people promoting this rubbish? and why aint they dead yet? They are after all, far more deserving of this fate than the poor bloody kids they are further messing up.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It may be an extension of Soviet era psychological experiments. (Did you think the United States was the only country doing psychiatric warfare experiments?) Before this cropped up online, there were already mind control cults in Russia driving young women to suicide:

Rose of the World.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

i think an impressionable dumbass is the one doing the cutting.

most cutters are very quiet about it. many do it on their legs and even when on their arms they hid it. theyre not out there doing it for attention.

i think even the teens that are in pain and would be even thinking of jumping off buildings on their own would not participate in this. cut yourself up for a while first then jump?
come on

really stupid people doing this and a unique kind of freak show trying to get kids to do it

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Wow, thanks for that.

Never heard of this cult before. The world just seems to be a little darker now than it was.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

It may be an extension of Soviet era psychological experiments. (Did you think the United States was the only country doing psychiatric warfare experiments?) Before this cropped up online, there were already mind control cults in Russia driving young women to suicide:

Rose of the World.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

i think an impressionable dumbass is the one doing the cutting.

most cutters are very quiet about it. many do it on their legs and even when on their arms they hid it. theyre not out there doing it for attention.

i think even the teens that are in pain and would be even thinking of jumping off buildings on their own would not participate in this. cut yourself up for a while first then jump?
come on

really stupid people doing this and a unique kind of freak show trying to get kids to do it

Pretty simplistic view, not much empathy.
I doubt anyone is just simply dumb enough to just wake up one day and think, I know, I will spend the next 50 days working towards my own death.

People do all sorts of mad stuff, but for a variety of reasons. I don't know why some kid would go down this route, but, more pertinently, I just cannot understand the type of mind that would encourage them.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

no not much empathy at all.
it just makes no sense to me.

so in your opinion what type of person would do this to themselves?

They are also urged to watch horror movies all day, and to wake themselves at 4.20am, steps leading up to demands to take their own lives on the 50th day of being in the game. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

i take it back. i am interested in who is running this bull#
edit on 7-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

It went on: 'We know absolutely for sure is that adults are working with children, with the help of knowledge of their habits and passions, using their favourite language and culture,' reported the newspaper. 'They know psychology well, they convince girls that they are 'fat', tell boys that they are 'losers' in this world. And that there is another world and they will be among the chosen.' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 7-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

My first read through of the article, I couldn't help but see it in the same vein as those who groom kids for sexual reasons.

As to why people put themselves into the hands of those who wish them harm, I haven't a clue. Self loathing springs to mind, but someone with a better understanding of psychology would be the person to ask.

But, to be honest, it's so out there that I am at a loss to explain it other than "Some people are just plain bad"

edit on 40pSun, 07 May 2017 07:17:40 -050020172017-05-07T07:17:40-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
some more OP.
my interest is peaked. i could not get this vid to load so i wont imbed but i was reading comments

www.youtube.com...

As a russian i'm so #ing sick of this whale bull#, it has been around for about half a year and now its spreading to other counties. Also, no actuall suicides were commited, only the girl who jumped out the window. The train girl is not dead, this was a planned attentionwhoring.This is all a huge hoax dude, dont belive russian news, they want to # on the internet russian community as much as possible whenever possible e.g. "130 KIDS DIED ITS ALL INTERNET'S FAULT AND VIDEOGAMES ASWELL"

that was a comment

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

But, to be honest, it's so out there that I am at a loss to explain it other than "Some people are just plain bad"

thats your answer. you could analyze it give it a reason. their mommy didnt love them. they went through a trauma. whatever.
some people are just screwed up...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

thats your answer. you could analyze it give it a reason. their mommy didnt love them. they went through a trauma. whatever.

I meant the ones promoting this, goading on the kids, not the kids themselves.

ETA that's an interesting comment on YT, though I am sure we have all been on ATS long enough to know that the daily wail (from my OP) will sensationalize the hell out of something like this and there will be some who will do the absolute opposite, so the truth lies somewhere between the two opposites (As it usually does).

edit on 15pSun, 07 May 2017 07:27:15 -050020172017-05-07T07:27:15-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

thats who i mean too
some people are just messed up man

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

thats who i mean too
some people are just messed up man

Yeah, they are. I am not much of a people person, I am useless at reading minds and emotions unless they are obvious....Maybe that's why I find it so hard to get a handle on such things.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

a reply to: DJW001

Wow, thanks for that.

Never heard of this cult before. The world just seems to be a little darker now than it was.

Then there's the Chechen Black Widow Cult.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

www.piratefm.co.uk...
Pirate FM provided these links.

www.selfharm.co.uk...

selfharmUK is a project dedicated to supporting young people impacted by self-harm, providing a safe space to talk, ask any questions and be honest about what's going on in your life.

They do link to childline which is seen by some as a filter to identify and neutralise potential institutional abuse whistleblowers. There'll be abusers working in the system, but good advice is good advice.

No comment yet for this question.

I've self-harmed by cutting for a number of years but recently I've started punching, hitting and slapping my face and head, mostly my head. I find it worrying but still can't stop. I do it about twice a week but it can be up to every day depending on how stressful my week is. What sort of risks am I posing by doing this? I'm worried I'll cause irreversible damage.

I was instantly drawn to this having unexpectedly come across head-banging while walking in a rural area. A member of the head-bangers family saw me and rushed the head-banger indoors. That wasn't a young person, presumably the family members had given up on trying to prevent it.

Anyone promoting the Blue Whale thing is effectively committing random murder. This must be one of the cyber crimes that police are struggling with.
edit on 7 5 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
That article is abysmal. The only Police cited is a friggin PSCO on twitter, 2 schoolgirls committed suicide, investigation includes their social media accounts not this game specifically. Somehow this is all being linked to 130 deaths somewhere else.

More hype and fear mongering with tenuous BS from the daily mail.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join