It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Railway Line Operated By Children In Budapest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Ever since I was a young child I've always imagined what it was like to work for a railroad. This comes in part from my dad working for Amtrak/Union Pacific machine shop. His father worked for Union Pacific shops in the 50's. My dad's mother's dad was a fireman for New York Central. I don't know what ever happened to the picture I had of the steam engine he was in after it collided with another one in the early 1900's.

www.bbc.com...

The story attached is of children ages 10 to 16 that work on their own railroad as part of their education. This sounds like a better form of education than I see in a lot of the public schools in the US. It has it's start in the Soviet Union but it gives the children skills in math, physics, even speaking English.

“They operate the railroad switches, they make the passenger announcements, they control the signals, they sell the tickets. The only thing they don’t do is drive the train.”

Children learning a trade in school makes more sense to me than teaching them how to be prepared for college and the useless degree they will get with it.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Saw them doing that when Richard Ayoade was doing his show, 48 hours in Budapest.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Thanks Dark, I'll have to look that up to learn more about the railroad and the kids.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

China is proud. Oh they are so proud.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
These kind of programs are great when they're at the discretion of students.

A 10 year old that wants to go to train-camp will learn a lot.
A 10 year old that doesn't want to go to train-camp still learns nothing compared to being at school.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Children learning a trade in school makes more sense to me than teaching them how to be prepared for college and the useless degree they will get with it.

Most degrees are by no means useless in our complex society, but I do agree having one is not the only path to success. There are many ways to succeed in our country. Who makes more money? An M.D. or an NBA player? I think they both do quite well, and although both are frequently out of reach for most of us, there remains a great more to chose from.

edit on 5/5/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Having a degree is but one possible plan as one goes down life's path. As I have never been to Budapest I don't know how practical getting a degree would be. I've know several people that are doing just well in their lives without a degree and even a few that never completed high school.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife
a reply to: angeldoll

Having a degree is but one possible plan as one goes down life's path. As I have never been to Budapest I don't know how practical getting a degree would be. I've know several people that are doing just well in their lives without a degree and even a few that never completed high school.

Of course. As per my post.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

48 Hours In Budapest | Travel Man
Fast forward to 18 minutes to see the railroad.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

Would you like to expand on your reference to China in this thread? I think I know what you are referring to but I would rather read if from your point of view. Thanks.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Working kids aren't problem anymore. Its a clear sarcasm and I am reffering my post to the Chinas factories where kids are working for mice of rice.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

This sounds a great idea, and I'd love to know more.....

Unfortunately...

"BBC Worldwide (International Site)
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes."

and the video link "contains content from Channel 4 and is blocked on copyright grounds."

So, the good news is while we in the UK can't show our kids a world beyond the X-Box, the BBC does get the income from the programme to subsidise yet more rubbish reality TV. Nice.

Was a time, I recall, the BBC used to fund a kids programme called "Why don't You Turn Off Your TV And Do Something More Interesting Instead". Then I guess they got wise about public service TV.

Sorry, just a rant.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa
[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk...[/url]

Your rant is appreciated. Perhaps you can read this site's railroad story.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Thanks for this 😊

Nice to read a positive story.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Depends but I've know dudes and dudettes with a skilled trade making more then seasoned doctors and lawyers. Not to mention successful business owners who don't have a sheepskin hanging on the wall. Depends on ones motivation.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Good points as they are good examples how life can be happy or wealthy without spending years in college and more years in debt to the schools.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Thanks. Good news is better than most of the news we read everyday.

new topics

top topics

join