It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students suspended for liking racist photos on Instagram

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Oh you poor racist babies can't have your little free racist world?

You poor poor racist babies.
*single tear*

Oh you poor sensitive babies can't have your little censorship world?

You poor poor sensitive babies.
*Double tear*
edit on 5-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

edit on 5-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I would say in what context these images are displayed??

If it's someone messing about and having a laugh, then it's acceptable but if it's someone who means this seriously... to hang black people... then its kinda influencing others to do just that IMO.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Oh you poor racist babies can't have your little free racist world?

You poor poor racist babies.
*single tear*

So you think free speech should be for only those that would use it in a way acceptable to you.

+1 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So seeing that Whites are actually a minority in terms of global population, will students who like say a youtube video of African American rappers threatening or bad mouthing White people be suspended as well?

That would only be fair.

Equality is what everyone wants right?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's the point i'm making. The image could be perceived as a threat. No argument there, but as stated in the article,

Schools have broad authority under federal law to limit speech at school that they consider disruptive, according to First Amendment scholars. But courts have disagreed about whether schools can punish students for off-campus speech that causes disruptions at school

and

California does not give schools extra authority to limit speech on campus, so the students in this case could prevail under state law. The school district, however, might argue that the nooses were threats, and that speech wouldn't be protected, he said. But even then, 'likes' are too ambiguous to be treated as threats themselves

The students who clicked like, or even the one who just said "yep" should not be punished.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
Liking racism likeing terrorism. There is no smoke with out fire all. Bet these are real dangerous racist scums.
Hope this morons name put on criminal list and never able to get a job or lead normal life.

hell yeah baby
every time a school kid does something stupid we should make sure they can never earn a living or have a chance at a decent life!!!!!!

what the hell is wrong with you?

there are like 4 threads right now that are totally blowing my mind with comments like this.

what are we turning in to

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I would say in what context these images are displayed??

If it's someone messing about and having a laugh, then it's acceptable but if it's someone who means this seriously... to hang black people... then its kinda influencing others to do just that IMO.

I disagree, I think context should never matter.

If it does, who gets to determine what's acceptable and what's not?

This opens up a road to authoritarianism.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There are two issues here:
  • The 'racist' act of drawing something that others see as 'racist' or the act of 'liking' it.

• The act of actively examining after-school activities.

The former I find disgusting, but it is not illegal. I remember a story some time back where an artist came under fire for making a statue of Jesus submerged in urine (or some such silly stuff). I thought it was disgusting, too. Yet, I never said any legal action should be taken by the artist, only that I found it disgusting and didn't care to see it or support it in any way.

In the same vein, drawing a 'racist' picture is not and should not be illegal. Looked upon with disgust, sure. Not illegal, and therefore not actionable by government authority... like a school. I would only support action taken against the student if there were a credible threat implied toward others in the school, or if done during school hours on school property.

The latter may well be illegal. Schools have the right to police students, in order to maintain a peaceful environment conducive to learning. As part of this, they can enforce certain societal standards on those actively in the care of the school. That active care stops the moment a child walks away from the bus toward their home, and restarts when the child enters the bus in the morning. What happens during that time not in school is not under the jurisdiction of the school.

The proper response, and this assumes the accidental discovery of the post, would be for school officials to notify the parents of the post, explaining that similar actions during school hours would be punishable and requesting the parents investigate and take action. If the school is actively searching the students' Facebook posts, then I believe the parents have a legal case against the school itself for invasion of privacy and perhaps malicious prosecution.

In other words, as disgusting as I find the picture, I find the action by the school to be orders of magnitude worse and if not illegal, then highly, highly abusive of their authority. And for those living in California who are tired of the stereotype episodes like this are giving them, stop the episodes like this and the stereotypes will stop as well.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
maybe the kid is a upstart comedian and that`s his idea of a joke?, comedians can say anything as long as they claim it was a joke.

the school has no authority over kids when they aren`t in school, so why is this school trying to take over the parents job of raising and disciplining kids when they aren`t in school?

That`s the biggest red flag here that everyone should be focused on,the school (government) is trying to completely push the parents out of the picture and take over raising the kids even when they aren`t in school.

maybe the schools will bring back the pillory for public shaming in the town square,civilization is going backwards.
edit on 5-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

That active care stops the moment a child walks away from the bus toward their home, and restarts when the child enters the bus in the morning. What happens during that time not in school is not under the jurisdiction of the school.

It does seem that some schools are attempting to extend their control outside of their doors. But given some of the people who run the school system, it's not surprising.

An extension of the "world should be as I envision it, not how others do", thinking.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This kind of thing is only a problem when a minority is offended.

The majority is offended. That's why racism is unacceptable.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Leftists don't like free speech. .

Truth will not be tolerated on ATS.

MODS.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is a sticky issue made all the worse by the fact that people like to hyperventilate about any controversy involving a grade school. There are 100k public schools in the US. Social media and the proliferation of cell phones among school aged kids in recent decades has led to a situation where a tremendous volume of harassment stemming from school interactions is taking place outside of school.

In other words, as a society we're trying to adapt to changing circumstances and with 100k public schools, there are bound to be controversial decisions. Lots of opportunity for folks to get it wrong and an isolated incident or even a spate of similar incidents doesn't indicate a pervasive trend.

I assume the fact that the harassment stems from school interaction is the justification for the school's involvement. I could see it outside of compulsory public schooling but this seems like something that law enforcement should be primarily handling, not schools.

The "public shaming" bit is egregiously stupid too if it's what it sounds like from the claim. Wtf was the thinking there? Some folks should be fired for that.

As for the "likes" on social media: this is an even bigger issue with implications far outside the realm of dumbass minors doing dumbass things. The inherently immaterial and ambiguous nature of "liking" a post leads me to conclude that it doesn't rise to the level of participation. So in that regard, I'd say those students shouldn't have faced any disciplinary actions or legal consequences though I personally believe it would be within the purview of school administration or law enforcement to inform those students' parents.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: kibric
a reply to: DBCowboy

“When fascism comes to America it will be called anti-fascism.”
- Huey Long
supposedly

Huey Long was one of the biggest fascists around.

From the same party as who suspended those kids for 'liking' something.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Pandaram

What smoke?

What if I decided to draw a black person living in the jungle within a bunch of apes in my own bedroom?

Should I never be able to get a job?

Why would you draw a bunch of apes in your bedroom?

Strange.

How the world turns. When I was a kid, we'd get in trouble for wearing school uniforms and fighting after school in the park. GAVE THE SCHOOL A BAD IMAGE.

never got in trouble for drawing nooses around other students necks and stuff... but we didn't have the internet back then.

It was hypothetical, I was trying to put into perspective the issue we are dealing with.

What is allowed and what isn't?

Ohh haha, thank god, I though you had a bunch of apes in your bedroom, and were sitting there drawing them..
My bad.

Employees have been fired for their personal facebook profiles. I don't agree with that.

But we live in an age of social media. Last job I was at, told us not to affiliate ourselves with the company if we were going to be anything but model citizens. Students, with other students, are like it or not, connected to a school.

Just saying, it's a very grey area. Now punishing students who Liked said posts, that is wrong. Anyone can make a fake facebook profile under a certain name.

as has been mentioned previously in this thread... but in my opinion? anyone actively expressing hate towards another in any form, not just a difference of belief or opinion, but hate, as indicated with a noose, should be reprimanded..

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

That`s the biggest red flag here that everyone should be focused on,the school (government) is trying to completely push the parents out of the picture and take over raising the kids even when they aren`t in school.

They're not just trying.

I personally know several parents who were banned from their children's schools for disagreeing with school actions. Being the redneck that I am, I am still trying to understand why I was never banned myself. I have legally embarrassed more than one principal, and offered to step outside with another when he became combative (he was recently removed from office after an investigation into impropriety). I had the audacity to walk into my child's school and exert my authority as the parent... legally if possible, physically if necessary.

I have also worked the political side of the aisle. I am persona non grata at school board meetings... not officially banned, but if I walk in, the whole atmosphere changes. I worked tirelessly to replace two school board members over authoritative overreach.

I simply don't care to stay involved. My kids are grown. It's time for others to stand up for a change.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If some kid in the privacy of his room made a drawing of where to place bombs around the school and shared it with friends who were receptive to the idea, is it just free speech?

If I were the black student's parents, I would sure be afraid for my child's safety, and I would be demanding that the school do something about it.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

yer no real proof he said it
hence the supposedly

paleofuture.gizmodo.com...

seemed relevant to the discussion

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProjectedLogic
a reply to: intrptr

but going after someone who hit the like button is going to far

Sieg Heil!

Any day now sexual hormone therapy and forced sexual reassignment will be the norm.

No wonder North Korea's Supreme leader is preparing nukes.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join