It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists in Norway presents photographic evidence of the Hessdalen Phenomenon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is pretty exciting, so I am going to post about it, even though the sources are in Norwegian only for now.

Scientists from Høyskolen i Østfold have presented a new piece of photographic evidence, as well as some interesting theories, about the UAP phenomenon they have been documenting in Hessdalen in Norway for several years.

Photo courtesy of Høyskolen i Østfold, republished by NRK (not the original)

This, rather unspectacular image, have created a great deal of both bafflement and excitement at a geological congress at the European Geosciences Union in Wienna, because it is a possible clue to what might be behind the Hessdalen phenomenon.

It also, as it was taken under specific and controlled conditions, documents the existence of the phenomenon, and might even confirm some of the things the local population has been saying for years. One such thing is that the phenomenon is able to light up the ground, which is an effect shown in the photo.

The researchers have been sitting on the photo for almost two years. The reason they have been "saving" it for just this congress in order to prove both that the phenomenon is real and worthy of study, and because the phenomenon has been photgraphed in the same place before. This might be an important point in understanding how these "balls of light" might be created, says scientists Bjørn Gitle Hauge and Anna-Lena Kjøriksen from Høyskolen i Østfold. They hope to get more scientists interested in studying the phenomenon, which might lead us closer to understanding the driving forces behind it.

Photo: Private, published by NRK

The actual photo is an exposure taken automatically on the 16. september 2015, at 21.11. The camera in question takes exposures at 5 second intervals. The photo is taken approximately one and a half hour after sundown.

Scientists, who were monitoring the cameras on monitors in a tent, ran out upon seing the exposure, but the ball of light was then gone. It is not found on the previous exposure or in the next one, taken 5 seconds later. The photo shows a ball of light, approximately 1,5 m in diameter (and estimated at around 1 cubic meter in volume) hovering at a height of approximately 30 meters and about 100 m distant from the camera. It was taken with a spectral filter on an automatic camera, and that is why you see the rainbow effect above and below the actual phenomenon.

The scientist has a 95% confidence that this represents an actual photgraph of the Hessdalen Phenomenon, having ruled out sun-dogs, camera reflections and other possibilities.

So, ladies and gentlemen, this is, courtesy of Høyskolen i Østfold, with 95% confidence a bona-fide UAP.

Now, what it actually is - physically or electrically - is something they are still trying to work out, but there are some intriguing theories being formed. One being investigated is that the phenomenon represents naturally forming plasmas. I guess time will tell, but at least we can be 95% sure it is really there.

Enjoy!

BT

Sources:
Norwegian National Televison (NRK) - in Norwegian
Norw egian newspaper Dagbladet - also in Norwegian

edit on 26-4-2017 by beetee because: Typo and grammar

edit on 26-4-2017 by beetee because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2017 by beetee because: Added some more information about mass and size, and about the filter used

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Looks like a perpendicular rainbow to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To me it just looks like lens flare.
I'd want some sought witness testimony to go along with this, but since no ond actually witnessed it, this is pretty weak evidence.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The rainbow effect is caused by the camera. I think it is a deliberate setup to analyze the light spectrum emitted by the phenomenon. It's called a "spectral camera" in the article. Maybe some of our photgraphers can elaborate.

The actuall UAP is between the two "rainbows".

BT

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BullwinkleKicksButt

Well, a lens flare that lights up the ground below it, is a pretty special lens flare in my book.

And what kind of lens flare appears after sundown, for 4 seconds, and then diappears?

I guess it is possible, but they have already ruled that out, according to the scientists involved.

So, there is perhaps a 5% uncertainty here, but it seems pretty solid to me.

ETA: There were witnesses, but they were watching the camera exposures on a screen inside their tent.

BT

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: beetee

ETA: There were witnesses, but they were watching the camera exposures on a screen inside their tent.

BT

So they were watching the lens flare of the camera on a computer screen.

You'd need to be outside the tent and physically witness the scene with your own eyes to rule out lens flare.

I don't see the ground being significantly lit up.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Well, that is the claim. That it lights up the ground. And if you compare it with the preceding and consecutive frames I guess it would stand out, if it was real. I am betting they have done that, although I haven't seen the other photos personally - yet.

I don't think they would sit on a photo for close to two years and then drag it to a Geosciences Conference in Vienna if it was a lens flare. Sorry.

BT

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Or a full moon, or light bulbs . I've got some beautiful pictures of perpetual twilight in Norway with four halogen style orbs floating in perfect formation in the sky.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

They take the positionof the moon into account, so it is not the moon. It was not up at the time.

I guess it could be scientific fraud, but it would mean the end of their careers if they have hoaxed a photo like this.

BT

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: beetee

Wow this is big news 😎😎😎😎 my all time favourite subject. Im.going to read through now

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think that rather than dissecting a rather underwhelming photo it is best to understand that whatever happens in the Hessdalen area is a true UAP/UFO phenomenon. Call it what you like. Few believe it to be alien spaceships. But something is happening.

I guess it's time to roll out this short video once again

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So many people doubting the photo!? This isnt a photo by some random person and uploaded to YouTube with cheap music and robotic voice over.

Before dismissing the photo I would advise you do a little research on the hessdalen lights. Its not a myth, its not crazy new age hippys calling magic lights from the sky, its a real phenomenon studied (somce the early 80's) and documented by countless scientists who have provided this photo.

I want to write so much more but if you cant be bothered to even read the op and source i feel my words would fall on deaf ears.

www.hessdalen.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Great video. I hadn't seen that one before :-)

Cheers,

BT

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Yes, I was rather baffled by this reception as well.

Usually the complaint is that there is only witness accounts and no photgraphic evidence, and now it suddenly is that there is only a photo and no witnesses.

Thank you for putting the project page up there.

I guess I assumed most people would be familiar with it in this forum.

BT

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You just missed out that ATS is already full of scientists and experts in the subject, so all of the two years research they did is just "pretty weak evidence".

Move along guys, nothing to see here...

Oh, and btw thanks for taking some time to share with us! Very good written
edit on 26/4/2017 by vinifalou because: heh

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beetee

The photo looks underwhelming to someone that doesn't understand what they are looking at.

I have been following news of these lights for many years and can say with my most excited voice that i am overwhelmed by the photo and news.

Everyone studying the lights are clearly aware of the stigma attached to scientists/universities/anyone researching strange lights in the sky and for them to come out with this shows that this is big news.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
You just missed out that ATS is already full of scientists and experts in the subject, so all of the two years research they did is just "pretty weak evidence".

Move along guys, nothing to see here...

Oh, and btw thanks for taking some time to share with us! Very good written

And full of people that dont read the op......

B.T.W its around 30 years of research, the photo was taken 2 years ago in 2015 (as it says in the op)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Cool... contrary to the partially informed knee jerk contrarians above, this is real and happens in geographically specific areas around the world ... in the U.S., Marfa TX and Brown Mountain, NC, for example.

Despite some folks reporting a seeming intelligence to the light's movements, and who knows atm, it's likely a naturally occurring plasma phenomena ... piezoelecrtic or some such.

Might be fairies, too!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I drop by the Hessdalen site once in a while, but have only seen something odd on the cameras one time.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to "rewind" the stream or capture any of the video you look at. It all relies on automatic shape-recognition software to identify an anomaly and trigger an alarm.

Most folks seem to agree, though, that it's a natural phenomenon and not alien spacecraft using the area as an interdimensional portal. So I guess... progress?

P.S. -- I hope they get more money, because their cameras are old and craptastic.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For interested parties, this is the abstract of their presentation.

The abstract can be read here in PDF form.

The actual presentation was held on Tue, 25 Apr at 17:30 lasting to about 19:00, so about one and a half hour.

BT

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join