It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+73 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

An undergrad researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has entered the public limelight with research indicating that standard English is “oppressive” to minorities, essentially stating that grammatically correct speech is too hard for them to learn.

source

I am sorry but NO!

Ebonics is NOT a language! Its just a bunch of jumbled nonsense because certain people are to stupid and lazy to speak correct English.

I refuse to accept it as a language.

I am a teacher myself now and I refuse and will continue to refuse it in my class room, giving any work written in such crap a big FAIL.

When I ran my own buisness I would bin any CV's written in ebonics without even reading past the first sentence.

Also is not the premises itself racist in itself? Are the left saying blacks are not capable of speaking correctly?

+27 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Next they will be openly saying that some racial demographics have lower average I.Qs.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Born and raised in the USA I think they can do English a whole lot better than many people think they can. That said if they want to be held down for the rest their lives let them speak it.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Remember years back my wife at time took a child dev course,they had a"chitlin" test,was regarding black slang,I used to work in Construction and some people from the south had their own language,was easier to understand the spanish speaking,had an idea of what they were trying to convey,others talked gibberish

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Honestly, I believe if we approach the issue as these are human beings expressing themselves in the language which their mothers, loved ones, have spoken to them their entire life (rather than an inferior/ ignorant devolution) we might find that some of the problems are not as serious as we think.

I have different registers depending on with whom I am speaking. (See that proper grammar? That would never make it into my oral speech.) If I'm with my friends, my language is very different than my writing or when I am preparing a formal speech. Most humans are able to do just that.

Now, this doesn't mean that one has to accept less than grammatically perfect writing. It is a way to approach our students with love and compassion rather than judgment.
edit on 25-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

An undergrad researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has entered the public limelight with research indicating that standard English is “oppressive” to minorities, essentially stating that grammatically correct speech is too hard for them to learn.

source

I am sorry but NO!

Ebonics is NOT a language! Its just a bunch of jumbled nonsense because certain people are to stupid and lazy to speak correct English.

I refuse to accept it as a language.

I am a teacher myself now and I refuse and will continue to refuse it in my class room, giving any work written in such crap a big FAIL.

When I ran my own buisness I would bin any CV's written in ebonics without even reading past the first sentence.

Also is not the premises itself racist in itself? Are the left saying blacks are not capable of speaking correctly?

Even white people need to learn to speak correctly. Some rednecks I have no idea what they're saying. They act like using correct language and writing correctly is bad or racist. I mean I want to understand you and in a business environment why would someone of any culture wanna hire someone they can't understand?

Our school system is a complete joke

+32 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Sorry no.

Speak whatever mumbo jumbo you want with friends and family I dont care.

But at school and in work you speak correct English.

I as a teacher am certainly not going to learn gibberjabber talk, I have neither the time, patience or cares, plus I am already learning the secound language of Spanish, a REAL language that civilised people speak.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Ubonics, It be da rode 2 suksess.....

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I agree, the grammar of whites can be awful too. Cant say I am perfect either.

+22 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'd be interested in hearing this professor tell a group of black students why he/she doesn't think they are smart enough to learn proper English grammar.

It would probably go over about as well as the reporter asking black people why they weren't capable of getting proper ID to vote.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I don't think you should bring your biases (civilized people etc) into the classroom.

I would hate to have a teacher that thought I was uncivilized due to my speaking patterns and use of improper grammar.

Too bad we don't pay teachers more, else we might find people who do have the time, patience, and care to help raise youth that will be happy and productive members of our society.

edit on 25-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Ig-pay atin-lay ould-shay e-bay allowed-ay oo-tay!

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Life is just so f'ing difficult for some people. It really makes you wonder how the human race has managed to cope all this time.

The new generation is useless. If they cannot or won't learn English in an English speaking country, then they will never get the jobs that require fluency in English. Is that the reality they are avoiding?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Life is just so f'ing difficult for some people. It really makes you wonder how the human race has managed to cope all this time.

The new generation is useless. If they cannot or won't learn English in an English speaking country, then they will never get the jobs that require fluency in English. Is that the reality they are avoiding?

This is basically professors pandering to Minorities and social issues without realizing that school is used to prepare our youth for their future success

+29 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
basically the researcher is saying minorities are too stupid to learn English so they should be allowed to use any language they want, the next thing they will tell us is that minorities are too stupid to obey the laws so they should be allowed to commit crimes.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

I don't think you should bring your biases (civilized people etc) into the classroom.

I would hate to have a teacher that thought I was uncivilized due to my speaking patterns and use of improper grammar.

Too bad we don't pay teachers more, else we might find people who do have the time, patience, and care to help raise youth that will be happy and productive members of our society.

It is not about paying more, you will be hard pressed to find any teacher outside the ghetto who would give two #s about learning ghetto trash talk.

And you will will find plenty of "teachers" in inner citys willing to speak ebonics.....and those schools have the lowest results and the school leavers the lowest employment chance.
Mainly because you xant be productive unless you can speak correct English!

Ebonics is just another way the Black community oppresses itself!
edit on 25-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
basically the researcher is saying minorities are too stupid to learn English so they should be allowed to use any language they want,the next thing they will tell us is that minorities are too stupid to obey the laws so they should be allowed to commit crimes.

Nah. That only would happen if someone's living in LA LA Land.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It really is time tax paying US Americans reconsidered funding of these schools. They have been reduced to drivel. I know in my state, the legislature is reducing funding for our state university because of lagging performance and as they reduce the funding the performance just worsens with each passing year. A recent study published today I cant reference because I saw it on face book shows employers have many opennings for jobs but college seniors are found to be wholly incompetent to fill those jobs.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

This article as well as their other used for reference is absolutely misrepresenting both universities.

Neither is seeking to change grammar. They are seeking to detach stigma from written works using urban vernacular... such as slam poetry.

The Daily Cardinal

Tacoma Writing Center response to false reporting

There are several web publications that purposefully distort or outright lie about what is happening in higher learning in America. I'll let you guys figure out why.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nothing will ever change as a whole in the Black community. They are past the point of no return sadly(as a whole). I have never seen anything or any people's evolve backwards, I mean how does that happen... Unfortunately it is the rest of society that has to deal with the aftermath and clean up the mess.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join