It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Theater faces criticism for gay versions of Bible stories

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Adam and Steve is the subject of the play that Out Front Theater Co (only shows plays from gays, bi's, or trans) has decided to play, it is called the Most Fabulous Story Ever Told.

www.nytimes.com...
What if it really was Adam and Steve? That’s what the Out Front Theater Company in Atlanta, which stages shows created only by people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning, will set out to answer for audiences during a three-week run of “The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told,” starting April 27.

Who could have guessed there would have been some criticism. The work is an alt version of stories from the old testament. The stories are through the eyes of a gay couple and a lesbian couple, the play also has comedic send up of the old testament stories.

However, its decision to do so has provoked a torrent of criticism over the play, which has been called “blasphemous.”

The work is an alternate version and comedic sendup of stories from the Old Testament, presented through the eyes of a gay couple named Adam and Steve and a lesbian couple named Jane and Mabel. It was written by Paul Rudnick and premiered Off Broadway in 1998. The New York Times called it, a “seriously silly theology treatise of a play.”

A Catholic group called America needs faith is circulating a petition (40,000 signatures) are up in arms. The same group had a problem with the Da Vinci Code.

The main driver of the protest seems to be a conservative Catholic group called America Needs Fatima, which circulated an online petition that has garnered more than 40,000 signatures. The group has protested earlier productions of “The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told,” along with other works it found objectionable, such as 2006’s movie adaptation of “The Da Vinci Code.”

The only reason they created this was to cause problems. That's pretty messed up. They want tolerance yet fail to give it. Just all around wrong and I consider myself an agnostic

link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Talking about R and L. Of course if you breath, there is times when you are offended.

The difference between knee jerkers and stable people is logic.

Were you offended by the play yourself?

What prompted you to bring this to our attention, over, say, the Britism Imams protesting same-sex marriage?

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: seeker1963

I have never "defended Islam." I find all religions equally appalling.

I have defended the First Amendment and the US Constitution and will continue to do so.

I've resisted the urge to slam Christianity many times ... can you say the same about your obsession with Islam?

Now, is that enough off-topic conversation about what we think of each other?

So ... going to see the play or not?

Haven't seen a play in hmmmmmm 30 years?

So no! Not going to see the play!

Awww. That's too bad.

So ... it doesn't bother you then? And you don't really have anything meaningful to say about the topic?

Perhaps Christians should actually observe what Christ told them once in a while? Tone down the judgment and turn up the love thy neighbor?

Might be good for 'em.

I agree Christians should observe what Christ told them! How about Progs like you who preach tolerance practice what you preach?

link   
a reply to: odinsway

How is staging a play intolerant again?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

They single out a certain religion.

link   

The only reason they created this was to cause problems. That's pretty messed up. They want tolerance yet fail to give it. Just all around wrong and I consider myself an agnostic

They would only do it if they didn't have to worry about any backlash, which looks fairly minimal at this point. They definitely won't do one about the Quran, however, because....well, we know why.

link   

How is staging a play intolerant again?

Man you're dumb. Because of its content.
edit on 17-4-2017 by odinsway because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Selective outrage was his point.

Muslims don't like gays, but I wonder why the criticism is only ever pointed at christians.

Ever notice that the Christians in question are actively trying to restrict the civil rights of others IN AMERICA?

Gee ... I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Try again G.

I have seen christianphobes try to limit the rights of a hell of a lot of people they don't like.

Bankers,ceo's,gun owners, and the list goes on.

Still pushing selective outrage.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I found it funny how certain things are off limits to poke and some are ok.

link   

originally posted by: odinsway

oh please
the only reason was to create problems? somehow i doubt that was even 1 of the reasons.
and how is this play failure to tolerate anything?

i hope it goes to broadway and wins a tony. anytime christians are upset im a happy guy

link   

a reply to: seeker1963

I have never "defended Islam." I find all religions equally appalling.

I have defended the First Amendment and the US Constitution and will continue to do so.

I've resisted the urge to slam Christianity many times ... can you say the same about your obsession with Islam?

Now, is that enough off-topic conversation about what we think of each other?

So ... going to see the play or not?

Haven't seen a play in hmmmmmm 30 years?

So no! Not going to see the play!

Awww. That's too bad.

So ... it doesn't bother you then? And you don't really have anything meaningful to say about the topic?

Perhaps Christians should actually observe what Christ told them once in a while? Tone down the judgment and turn up the love thy neighbor?

Might be good for 'em.

I agree Christians should observe what Christ told them! How about Progs like you who preach tolerance practice what you preach?

I'm not a "prog" for the humpteenth time, and you don't know what I do, or when I do it. Do you have the ability to make a post without it being riddled with stupid ad hominem?

I've not "preached" tolerance and you know as well as I do that's just the standard schitick of those who want the "right" to be intolerant.

What does tolerance have to do with the play? Christians want to shut it down. Why?

Because they think they have the right to control the lives of others, perhaps? DINGDINGDINGDING.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

People live in the middle east, yes.

I'm sorry? What is your point?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

So you decided to show that by poking at something you knew would result in exactly what this is resulting in?

You must be so proud.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Uh we are talking about America. Focus please.

link   

How did I do that?

link   
a reply to: neo96

You've seen, you've heard, you've read ... i.e. you've made up whatever you need to support an argument ... /shrug.

Are you going to see the play yourself?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

So you decided to show that by poking at something you knew would result in exactly what this is resulting in?

You must be so proud.

So effing what ?

I'm christian and proud.

Afraid the christian might rub off ?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Do you want me to do another web search, there are plenty from all over?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I'm sorry? What is your point?

That your point that "this is America" is absurd.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

are you offended?
do you want the play to be cancelled?

if yes to either, why?

if no then carry on

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join