It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two activists who filmed undercover videos of Planned Parenthood charged with 15 felonies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Two activists who filmed undercover videos of Planned Parenthood charged with 15 felonies
Just saw this pop up in my WaPo news emails. Making a thread about this since I recall discussing these jackasses in a different thread recently and I'm glad to see the end of this story has arrived. TLDR: The makers of the videos are going to jail.

So let's recap. David Daleiden went "undercover" to make a bunch of smear videos against PP clearly designed to rile up the Christian right as the election was kicking off. He posed as a medical company looking to buy fetuses to secure interviews with PP personnel. During these interviews he secretly filmed them. He then took that footage, edited it extensively so it looked damning for PP, then released it to the internet. He also kept "unedited" cuts of these videos which really turned out to be edited as well.

However this all ended up backfiring and they were indicted after it was uncovered they committed fraud while making these heavily edited videos. So now they are going to jail and good riddance. Scum like that need to rot for trying to disparage an organization like that.

The two antiabortion activists who mounted a hidden-camera investigation against Planned Parenthood officials have been charged with 15 felony counts of violating the privacy of health-care providers by recording confidential information without their consent.

In announcing the charges against David Robert Daleiden and Sandra Merritt on Tuesday, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the duo used manufactured identities and a fictitious bioresearch company to meet medical officials and covertly record the private discussions they initiated.

“The right to privacy is a cornerstone of California’s Constitution, and a right that is foundational in a free democratic society,” Becerra said. “We will not tolerate the criminal recording of confidential conversations.”

The criminal complaint alleges that on 14 occasions, between October 2013 and July 2015, Daleiden and Merritt filmed people without permission in Los Angeles, San Francisco and El Dorado counties. The activists face a felony count for each person covertly recorded, and an additional felony charge for criminal conspiracy to invade privacy.

About time. I'm really tired of abortion activists making deceptive videos about PP and getting away with it after the controversy dies down. I'm really glad these guys' feet are being held to the fire on this.

The court fight over the videos began in April 2015, when Daleiden and Merritt made site visits at Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast headquarters, using fake names and driver’s licenses to portray themselves as a company interested in connecting Planned Parenthood health centers with research studies. The two antiabortion activists were actually affiliated with Daleiden’s little-known antiabortion nonprofit, the Center for Medical Progress.

While touring the facilities, they recorded undercover videos, supposedly showing Planned Parenthood employees discussing plans to sell aborted human fetal tissue and body parts left for scientific research.

Naturally David Daleiden says the charges are bogus, but who cares what he thinks? He's a liar and is going to jail now because of fraud.

The antiabortion activist added that in the coming weeks he will be releasing previously unseen footage pertaining to Planned Parenthood.

Oh BOY! I can't wait for more of those videos. Of course we know he's already released all of his most controversial stuff and this is just his last attempts to stay relevant before he becomes bunk mates with Bubba. So don't expect anything significant except a few laughs at Daleiden's desperation.
edit on 29-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

He posed as a medical company looking to buy fetuses to secure interviews with PP personnel. During these interviews he secretly filmed them

How else was he going to get the truth?

Black Market sting, 101.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Leaks are leaks. I understand people being either against or for them.

I personally like all forms of whistle blowing.

Even if these guys exaggerated it why should the government or any organization be able to operate behind a cloak. And if you have nothing to hide why be concerned.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They committed FRAUD while going under cover. Fraud is illegal no matter where you go or what you are doing.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

He posed as a medical company looking to buy fetuses to secure interviews with PP personnel. During these interviews he secretly filmed them

Black Market sting, 101.

He didn't get the truth though. He lied and edited his videos to reflect that lie.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Anybody that obtains and releases information they don't have permission for should be charged.
Trumps taxes,
Wiki leaks,
Etc, etc,

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Black Market sting, 101.

He didn't get the truth though. He lied and edited his videos to reflect that lie.

The video doesn't lie.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It does if it is edited.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
But I get the whole throw the book at them, same as Manning and Assange for releasing the Collateral Murder video. The state hates it when their skullduggery is released to the public.

Now go back to attacking the messenger.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Anybody that obtains and releases information they don't have permission for should be charged.
Trumps taxes,
Wiki leaks,
Etc, etc,

As much as I'd like to see them going to jail for releasing the videos, that isn't why they are being charged. They are being charged for misrepresenting themselves while obtaining the videos. This is a case of fraud not a case of charging a whistleblower.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

But I get the whole throw the book at them, same as Manning and Assange for releasing the Collateral Murder video. The state hates it when their skullduggery is released to the public.

PP isn't the state.

Now go back to attacking the messenger.

I'm not attacking any messengers. I'm celebrating a criminal getting his due.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I'm not attacking any messengers. I'm celebrating a criminal getting his due.

Says hi magistrate in court of public opinion. Criminalized before he's tried even.

Your agenda is showing.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Your agenda is showing.

Says the guy who still thinks that those PP videos are honest and unedited.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
These American heroes deserve full Presidential pardons for any charges previous and future related to Planned Parenthood.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

That's what you get for trying to expose corruption these days.

Just ask Snowden.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

That's what you get for trying to expose corruption these days.

Just ask Snowden.

Exactly what corruption did they expose with edited and false videos?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Your agenda is showing.

Says the guy who still thinks that those PP videos are honest and unedited.

We can also tell how unjust the trial will be up by how many charges there are for the 'whistle blowers'.

Its a done deal pre trail, just like you also say.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You omitted this?

The Daleiden investigation that she began has now been picked up by the new attorney general, Xavier Becerra (himself a Democratic former member of Congress)

I'm sure there is absolutely no agenda.😳
edit on 29-3-2017 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

(post by Foreshadow removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Black Market sting, 101.

The video doesn't lie.

Actually, it does.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join