It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea may have fired missiles: Japan gov't source

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
kyodonews.jp

North Korea may have launched several missiles Wednesday morning, a Japanese government source said.

The missiles, whose type was not immediately known, were possibly launched from an area near Wonsan in east North Korea at around 7 a.m., the source said, adding that there is also information that the launches were a failure.

North Korea in April to June last year launched a total of six Musudan intermediate-range missiles from an area near Wonsan.

If North Korea actually had fired TOWARDS Japan with these missiles wouldn't it already be started? The big one?

mirror.co.uk

North Korea is feared to have launched several missiles towards Japan on Wednesday morning.

The launch, from the eastern area of Wonsan, may have failed, Kyodo News reported.

It is not known what type of missiles were involved.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that the government hasn't confirmed the launch and that it was always gathering and analysing information on the country.

That launch came days after Kim Jong-un promised retaliation over US-South Korea military drills it sees as preparation for war.

If he starts living up to his word there will be war.

edit on 21-3-2017 by Tempter because: addition

edit on 21-3-2017 by Tempter because: adding bold type

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Is this what they're calling a "failed missile test". After we just moved our missile defense there?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

Is this what they're calling a "failed missile test". After we just moved our missile defense there?

You think we shot it down?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Pardon my ignorance here but last time I checked, NKorea could barely get their missiles off of the ground let alone weaponize what nuclear arsenal they have?

I see them as a infuriated toddler in a playpen. Perhaps I should take this more serious?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If NK hits anyone with missiles then they are signing their own death warrant. Why would they hang themselves so willingly? I don't think they would unless that's the role they have been given to play on the world stage. If NK attacks someone with missiles or a nuke then they are only doing it to start WW3, something the warmongers salivate over.

All part of the plan in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Perhaps I should take this more serious?

That's up to you. But with the stock market TANKING right now a war is probably just what the elites need.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Want perhaps. They need nothing..maybe blood.
edit on 21-3-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: bknapple32

You think we shot it down?

I don't think it's outside the realm of realistic

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think we have to consider just how close we come to total war with NK every single time they launch a rocket. I mean, we have forces stationed there. A lot.

There HAS to be a missile range barrier that Kim has failed to cross or achieve so far but one of these times he will, and then we'll pull the trigger.

We are CLOSE to war.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

No. They have landed missiles close to Japan before, including very recently. At the beginning of the month they dropped three missiles within about 180 miles of the Japanese coast.

There's a difference between firing towards Japan, and firing at Japan.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No. They have landed missiles close to Japan before, including very recently. At the beginning of the month they dropped three missiles within about 180 miles of the Japanese coast.

There's a difference between firing towards Japan, and firing at Japan.

Trajectory, right. I get that. However, there IS a line he has so far failed to cross. I guess 180 miles isn't it. It must be closer.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

As long as they don't hit Japan, or threaten anything that belongs to them, under international law, he can keep firing them all he wants. It's up to Japan to determine when the threat is over the line. And, honestly, there's not a lot they can do in response besides shooting them down.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Last week N-K launched 5 missiles towards Japan. 1 was a dud.

Today, they launch "several". All are duds.

Maybe the CIA put sugar in their fuel.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

As long as they don't hit Japan, or threaten anything that belongs to them, under international law, he can keep firing them all he wants. It's up to Japan to determine when the threat is over the line. And, honestly, there's not a lot they can do in response besides shooting them down.

Well, aren't you are military man? Care to wager how close it'd have to be? Do you really think the US or Japan would let one hit without attempting to engage it? Without immediate retaliation?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
If NK hits anyone with missiles then they are signing their own death warrant. Why would they hang themselves so willingly? I don't think they would unless that's the role they have been given to play on the world stage.

Maybe Kim gets wind of some upcoming attempted coup against him and knows his time is up and decides he wants to go out with a bang, so he orders everything they have launched at the south just to leave his mark on the world's history. Maybe he's just the kind of narcissistic psychopath who would. Who knows.

Anyway, as for NK and Japan... Is there any reason NK would want to attack Japan? I have no idea what the relation between the two is, but I seem to remember NK hitting some Japanese island with missiles before.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Japan would totally obliterate NKorea in less than a week. Only reason they need us there is as a deterrent against a Chinese retaliation.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Not necessarily my viewpoint, but interesting article from a different perspective Here.

Some telling quotes:

North Korea has faced repeated threats of nuclear and conventional attack by the United States. • In 1993, the U.S. Strategic Command announced it was targeting some of its ICBMs on North Korea. [6] • In 2001, the Bush administration identified North Korea as a possible target of nuclear attack (along with Libya, Syria, China, Russia, Iran and Iraq.) [7] • According to the Stimson Center, a U.S. public policy think-tank, from 1970 to 2010, the United States threatened North Korea with nuclear destruction on six separate occasions. [8] • On one occasion the United States’ top soldier, Colin Powell, warned North Korea that the United States could turn it into a “charcoal briquette.” [9]

In 1993, the US Strategic Command announced that it was retargeting some of its strategic nuclear weapons away from the former Soviet Union to North Korea. A month later, Pyongyang announced that it would withdraw from the NPT, signaling that if Washington was going to dangle a nuclear sword of Damocles over its head, North Korea would take steps to counter the threat. [11] This spurred a series of negotiations which led Pyongyang to reverse its decision and to remain in the treaty. It eventually made another volte-face, announcing its intention to exit the treaty following US President George W. Bush’s January 29, 2002 designation of North Korea as part of an Axis of Evil. Bush’s virtual declaration of war against the DPRK was only the tip of an iceberg of threats Washington had directed at the DPRK as part of its long running Cold War against the Communist country. In March 2002, the Los Angeles Times revealed classified Pentagon information listing seven countries as possible targets of a US nuclear strike. Among the targets was North Korea. The Pentagon’s nuclear strike list also included Russia, China, Syria, Libya, Iran, and Iraq. [12] North Korean officials explained their withdrawal from the NPT by pointing to the “Bush administration’s nuclear attack plan” which “showed that the United States…is pursuing world domination with force of arms and that the United States is not hesitant in launching a nuclear attack on any nation if it is regarded as an obstacle to this end.” [13]

North Korea says it developed nuclear weapons “to protect its sovereignty and vital rights from the U.S. nuclear threat and hostile policy which have lasted for more than half a century” [16] and which culminated in the Bush administration’s nuclear saber rattling and threat of war. Compare North Korea’s reasons for having nuclear weapons with those of Britain, one of the NPT’s nuclear weapon states. The UK government’s 2006 White Paper, “The Future of the United Kingdom’s Nuclear Deterrent,” states that “The primary responsibility of any government is to ensure the safety and security of its citizens,” and that “For 50 years (Britain’s) independent nuclear deterrent has provided the ultimate assurance of (the country’s) national security.” “The UK’s nuclear weapons,” the document concludes, are designed “to deter and prevent nuclear blackmail and acts of aggression against our vital interests that cannot be countered by other means.” [17]

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

That's pretty much what I said. It would have to either be on a trajectory to hit one of their islands, or threaten their territory in some way. Landing in their EEZ isn't a threat to their territory.

If it was heading towards an island they would engage it. But since they haven't directly threatened them, they aren't engaging them.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
If NK hits anyone with missiles then they are signing their own death warrant. Why would they hang themselves so willingly? I don't think they would unless that's the role they have been given to play on the world stage.

Maybe Kim gets wind of some upcoming attempted coup against him and knows his time is up and decides he wants to go out with a bang, so he orders everything they have launched at the south just to leave his mark on the world's history. Maybe he's just the kind of narcissistic psychopath who would. Who knows.

Anyway, as for NK and Japan... Is there any reason NK would want to attack Japan? I have no idea what the relation between the two is, but I seem to remember NK hitting some Japanese island with missiles before.

The Japanese expanded their imperial empire there in WWII. Brutal occupation, slave labor etc. NK is like a dinosaur from the past, not much moving on in terms of getting along with the modern world.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
They're just making sure if there's a war they don't go before China, Japan, and south korea. He's not going start wwiii. Isis is already doing that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join