It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First underground drone flight

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I remember seeing this from over a year ago

edit on 23-3-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Never used a drone underground but have used a dive camera to inspect a flooded shaft by mounting it on a skip and lowering It down 150 feet in the shaft.

later we pumped out and rehabbed the shaft down to 250 feet by mounting a well pump on the skip with fire hose to pump the water down the haulage drift.

The camera made it great because we could see old timbers that blocked the shaft and i could dive down and remove them with a lift bag.

I do have a old silver mine that i would love to inspect with a drone.

There is a old square set chamber that is over 200 wide by about 300 tall.

The square set timbers were burned out about 60 years ago by a fire leaving this vast open chamber.
and because of the black fire soot on the walls even high powered flood light do not get a good view of the far ribs of the chamber.

I am also going to show your video to the local mine rescue team as something they could use for searching mines with bad air.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

That is one application that we have discussed at length at my mine - Mine Rescue.
At best mine rescue takes close to 1 hour from moment of call,to being suited, briefed and on headed underground.
During that 1 hour, I could be collecting vital data for the team.
In case of a fall of ground, I switch to the thermal view for heat signatures.
Honestly, I have been overwhelmed with people's ideas for what I can use is for.
And everyday it's a growing list for the potential.

Just the other day the Superintendent for Canadian Operations - Allen Mills, and the Superintendent of Engineering - Yves Benoit, contacted me wanting to set up a meeting about the use of this.

I also have a booth at the upcoming Timmons Mining Show. I suspect that a lot of buzz will be generated.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I know setting up a tripod and lowering someone in a mine takes time and is very dangerous.
www1.iwvisp.com...

Many of the mine shafts here in the calif desert have had the timbers burned out and the top of the shafts have collapsed.

i am a retired miner and mine superintendent and have run mine rescue teams.
i am also a firefighter/EMT and heavy rescue/ high angle rescue trained.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Air Force performs second sUAS test.

This time it was a B-52 near an active taxiway and flight pattern, with external maintenance going on.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I recommend you do a paper and submit it to the Journal of Engineering Research...or whatever engineering Journals that you see fit.

For that meeting. That you are preparing or submitting for peer review would be a relevant question.

www.kuwaitjournals.org...

edit on 24-3-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Be my guest in showing it for mine rescue.
I am always eager to hear from fellow miners in the applications they would use the drone for.
If they want to see or hear more, don't hesitate to PM me!

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Awesome! It's amazing seeing drones in a good light, being safely utilized around planes.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It is pretty cool seeing them finally coming into their own. They are useful in so many ways that it's not funny. Interestingly the new DJI Matrice M200 series comes with a built in ADS-B transponder.

Other safety features on the Matrice include seven forward-facing sensors capable of detecting obstacles up to 30 metres ahead; while the upward-facing infrared sensors can sense obstacles within a 5-metre range. A downward-facing vision positioning system enables precision hovering and landing.

www.flightsafetyaustralia.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Yes, and a lot of enthusiasts have taken it upon themselves as well to add transponders.
We want to keep the sky safe for everyone.
It's idiot kids who get them for Xmas with no understanding of what their are capable of, that send them up and interfere with flights or people's privacy.
I honestly hope they make it a licensing requirement for all flyers.

Then people can be held accountable for their actions.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I know the FAA has a registry you're supposed to be part of if you have one. I just have a cheap little quad right now. I don't have a lot of time to practice with it, but I'm hoping to eventually get something I can buzz around with.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think you and OP should discuss seriously the prospect of adapting his existing capabilities into the air force inspections for the exact purposes you have discussed thus far. After all, it was a member referral that helped get it this far. Perhaps another member referral could be a game changer for the air force...

I just want to say Macenroe82, for anyone who ever thought to themselves "I m one person, what ever could I do to change anything in the world?" your efforts show exactly what one person can do. One person referred you to another, and together some engineering innovation happened.

Seriously Zap, maybe your referral can take this to a whole other level, if Mac shares the vision that it, which I think you do Mac.

Could you do us a favor though. When you do the bit for the magazine, is there any possibility you could somehow bring ATS into it
it would mean so much to many of us to see this places name in print in such a relevant industry periodical.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Sorry, I just noticed this now.
But you know what, I think that would be an amazing idea about some how implementing ATS into the magazine lol.
I can certainly try!
I think I have an application for my drone that would work for the military. My drone has a thermal camera. It can be sent into downed buildings or what not to search for people.

<< 1  2   >>

join