It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Your New Robot Overlord

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Not quite yet but it seems the technology is getting better and better. Jeff Bezos recently showed off the Method 2 robot that is built by Hankook Mirae Technology in South Korea.

Bezos was showing the robot off at MARS — an annual, invite-only conference run by Amazon and dedicated to machine learning, home automation, robotics and space exploration. The robot is the Method-2, and first came to public attention last December when videos and pictures of the bot circulated online. It’s built by a South Korean company named Hankook Mirae, and if it looks like it stepped straight out of a Hollywood blockbuster (it bears a striking resemblance to the bipedal robots in Avatar) that’s because one of its designers, Vitaly Bulgarov, is a concept artist who’s worked on films like Ghost In the Shell and Transformers 4: Age of Extinction.

LINK to full article

You can see the robot still needs to be supported by chains in case it tips over.

The Method-2 is 4 meters tall and weighs in at 1.5 tons. They say the purpose is to help humans reach dangerous, extreme and hazardous areas where they can’t go unprotected.Here is another video of it walking

the giant robot can host a person inside its torso, allowing the user to generate movements mimicked by METHOD-2. initiated in 2014, the project has received $200 million USD in investment and aims to be completed by 2017, selling each robot at a price of around $8.3 million. the company also states that the robot is really young and it just took its first baby steps: ‘just like humans, it will be able to move more freely in the next couple of years,’ says hankook mirae technology chairman yang jin-ho.

Click here for more info

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I want one of those.

Does it go under water?.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Wow! Reminds me of the Matrix movie.

edit on 20-3-2017 by Im2keul because: added pic

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Im2keul

Don't forget sexy Sigourney "Ripley".

Hey, Avatar, too!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I always thought Google would be the ones to create the technology to enslave the world. Amazon is trying to beat them to it.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

They look almost identical to the robot suit-things from the Matrix Revolutions

Watch out NASCAR and UFC, we've got a new sport on the up and up!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Throw on some reactive armor and bullet proof glass and let me test it out in the middle east!

i kid i kid

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

One of the designers worked in Hollywood.

one of its designers, Vitaly Bulgarov, is a concept artist who’s worked on films like Ghost In the Shell and Transformers 4: Age of Extinction.

And that would be one bada$$ sport!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Step toward mech warrior for real, actually this is very promising for a number of reason's, I can imagine this and four legged variant's being used in construction were tracked and wheeled vehicles would find it difficult to reach, there are other application's but my mind keep's going back to how that would look with a rocket launcher on it's shoulder and a huge gun in it's arm's.

Early stage technology, probably already been done somewhere before but probably not as cool as this and of course as MyHappyDogShiner thought if future model's can work underwater then ideal for heavy construction underwater as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Awfully close to the Avatar AMP robots too.

james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Just take this tech and run it with a V6 engine instead of a chain saw motor. Base the control and logic circuitry off of the boston dynamics bots and you can have something like Elysium law and order bots.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Step toward mech warrior for real, actually this is very promising for a number of reason's, I can imagine this and four legged variant's being used in construction were tracked and wheeled vehicles would find it difficult to reach, there are other application's but my mind keep's going back to how that would look with a rocket launcher on it's shoulder and a huge gun in it's arm's.

Good post, exactly what I was thinking almost word for word.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We will need these to patrol the border when category 5 Mexicans breach the wall.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Come on real life
Rock-em sock-em robots!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Im2keul

Knuckle up. For Zion!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Couple issues...

Crash a 78 Pinto into this thing and it'll go down in a heap.

Also, what will power it eventually? Im sure its plugged into the wall still at this point.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Let me know when they are at Gundam status, and I'll be first in line to buy one.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Crush kill destroy, Crush kill destroy.

Reminds me of this fellow. LoL
edit on 21-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Mech Fight!!!!

In 2015, a team of American engineers created the MegaBots Mk. II, a 15-foot-tall, 5,400kg, paintball cannon-armed mech of nightmarish proportions. Which is impressive and all, but the question was: why? The answer came in the form of a fight-to-the-death challenge issued to Japanese company Suidobashi Heavy Industries, which had built its own 13-foot-tall mech called Kuratas, complete with touchscreen UI, Kinect-based interface, and twin BB Gatling guns (customers could even order one for a cool $1.35 million).

One successful $500,000 Kickstarter campaign later—launched to get the Mk. II combat-ready—the battle to end all robot battles is finally happening, albeit a year later than originally planned. This August, the revamped MegaBots Mk. III will battle Kuratas at an as yet undisclosed location. The delay to the original duel was due to problems with the venue, according to MegaBots, so the location is being kept a secret for now.

ArsTechnica.com - America takes on Japan in terrifying giant mech battle this August.

Oh h3llz yeah I will watch this! Watch that paint gun go! That chainsaw blade looks really dangerous!

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Interesting mechs
1 can only imagine what the advanced applications look like

edit on 5/22/17 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join