It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Guards Who Boiled A Schizophrenic Man to Death Will Not Be Charged

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Holy crap. If this story is true, how can a State Attorney get away with not filing charges? Burns on 90% of his body, body temp so high they were not able to get a reading. These people should be put in prison for murder.

www.miaminewtimes.com...

The water was turned up top 180 degrees — hot enough to steep tea or cook Ramen noodles.

As punishment, four corrections officers — John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke and Edwina Williams — kept Rainey in that shower for two full hours. Rainey was heard screaming "Please take me out! I can’t take it anymore!” and kicking the shower door. Inmates said prison guards laughed at Rainey and shouted "Is it hot enough?"

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

But in an unconscionable decision, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle's office announced Friday that the four guards who oversaw what amounted to a medieval-era boiling will not be charged with a crime.

“The shower was itself neither dangerous nor unsafe,’’ the report says. “The evidence does not show that Rainey’s well-being was grossly disregarded by the correctional staff.’’

"Accordingly and in conclusion," Rundle wrote, "the facts and evidence in this case do not meet the required elements for the filing of any criminal charge."

She then signed her name.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
that makes me nauseous...

I do not care what crime he was in for nobody deserves to die like that... and have their torturer get off Scot free.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What a sick excuse for human beings including the judge.

It's important to note that all Rundle had to do to show that she cared was to charge the prison guards with a crime. It is up to a jury to assess guilt.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Another Source:

reason.com...

In her ruling, Katherine Fernandez Rundle said, according to the Miami Herald, that John Fan Fan, a sergeant, and the officers involved in getting Rainey into the shower, Ronald Clarke, Cornelius Thompson, and Edwina Williams, didn't act with premeditation, malice, recklessness, ill-will, hatred or evil intent. The officers involved were eventually promoted after the incident.

The state attorney claimed testimony from inmates was inconsistent with testimony from prison staff as well as physical evidence, and that she could not find evidence Rainey was burned to death.

His family says they were pressured to cremate his body, the fact that Rainey's skin fell off on contact after his death is undisputed, and the nurse who tried to take his temperature after he died said it was too high to register on the thermometer.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
+ star

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I think that is he most disgusting thing I have ever heard from a judge and she should be removed from the bench.
Water temperature for 2 hours while the man is screaming in pain can not be deemed a crime.

Anyone else do that purposely they would go to jail.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Holy #! Seriously? These people tortured animals as kids.

Again, and it seems that I've been saying it more and more, I just don't understand people.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

the guards deserve jail time, and she deserves to be unemployed...

So... nothing will happen and she will probably end up with a promotion...

makes me ill..

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The government is out of control, all branches. This is just more evidence.

We no longer have the rule of law. If we did, there would be justice. This surely doesn't seem to be it, and I don't care what the man in question may have done before going to prison.

He may have raped children to death, but that doesn't mean you boil him to death.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hopefully those guards get shanked..the POS judge 1st
edit on 18-3-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

This is beyond the pale, the victims family needs to appeal the judges decision. I see a civil suit if nothing else, the officers intent was to punish the inmate which is not their job.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Those guards should be treated just like the ISIS thugs who burn, boil and behead people.

If that had happened to my close relative, those "men" would lose some of their close relatives.

I'm seeing a disturbing trend from America's judges!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Those guards should be treated just like the ISIS thugs who burn, boil and behead people.

If that had happened to my close relative, those "men" would lose some of their cl0se relatives.

To that I say Amen.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

This is beyond the pale, the victims family needs to appeal the judges decision. I see a civil suit if nothing else, the officers intent was to punish the inmate which is not their job.

There are things guards can do to discipline inmates but that is so far beyond that kind of measure you can't even really mention it in that context.

It's like a mother plunging her child into scalding water to punish him. We all know what it -- it's abuse, not punishment.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Over coc aine charges, very sick. Damn bet if it wasn't coc aine it would have been for marijuana. Those guards need to be held for what they did. Need a retrial for this one.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

“The shower was itself neither dangerous nor unsafe,’’

It literally killed him. It burned him and melted his skin off.

the report says. “The evidence does not show that Rainey’s well-being was grossly disregarded by the correctional staff.’’

Actually, that's exactly what it shows.

"Accordingly and in conclusion," Rundle wrote, "the facts and evidence in this case do not meet the required elements for the filing of any criminal charge."

Yes they do.

This is blatant corruption and conspiracy.
Everyone involved in covering this up needs to be imprisoned.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Over coc aine charges, very sick. Damn bet if it wasn't coc aine it would have been for marijuana. Those guards need to be held for what they did. Need a retrial for this one.

Drugs involved?

Hmmm, how long is the reach of the cartel then?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

originally posted by: carewemust

If that had happened to my close relative, those "men" would lose some of their cl0se relatives.

To that I say Amen.

Thanks LiveAndLearn. I'm mentally bookmarking you as a like-minded "friend" on this issue.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Had this happened in a mental hospital, the staff present would be in prison and the nurses on duty would lose their license. The facility would probably lose accreditation as well.

The fact that the person was an inmate means they are a second or third class citizen, it seems.

This is the kind of thing that makes any decent person angry.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Further, why on earth does the water get that hot? It should limit around 130 degrees for 2 reasons:

- accidental (or, in this case, on purpose) burns
- the cost. Prisoners likely can forego the long hot shower and survive with a reasonably warm shower

Was this a private prison? If so, i'd review their contracts. 130 is the standard for mental health and nursing homes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join