It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Budget to Cut Job Training for Americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well, Trump promised to employ Americans as the basis of his Presidential campaign, along with the border wall. However this shows that he really doesn't care about helping Americans to get employed at all. In addition to cutting the department of labor's budget by a couple billion, he wants them to focus mainly on detecting unemployment benefits fraud. Then it would cut Job Corps, which trains disadvantaged young people to gain careers, and eliminates a training program for unemployed seniors.

How the hell can he say he wants to help Americans get jobs with this crap? Obviously his only concern is cutting government spending so the wealthy won't have to pay as much in taxes. Too bad we can't impeach him for lying to the American people.

dailycaller.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Oh no, not job corps? I know so many teen agers who received education and training and are good citizens now.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Did you even READ your own source?

From it

Trump’s budget calls for an elimination of the $434 million Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), which the White House characterized as “ineffective.”

“SCSEP is ineffective in meeting its purpose of transitioning low-income unemployed seniors into subsidized jobs,” the Trump administration asserted. Authorized by the Older Americans Act, the program was designed to provide training and employment assistance to those over the age of 55, unemployed and near the poverty level.

The president received some flack for the proposed elimination of the SCSEP, but the White House asserts that as many as one third of participants fail to complete the program, and only half of the those who complete the program successfully transitions into subsidized employment.

It appears the program is a HUGE failure and a waste of money! But hey, let's continue tossing money at programs that don't work right?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Don't worry, the private sector will dash in and save us all....

That's SARCASM by the way...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

How come when your OP's are invalidated, you don't come back and say you were wrong? You keep rolling with it..

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

What about those who enter unsubsidized employment?

Overall, forty-six percent of SCSEP exiters available for employment entered unsubsidized employment.

wdr.doleta.gov...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Fake story.

But the Corporations will train people for new jobs they will be offering by the millions.

Thank God for publicly traded corporations.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Teen agers suffered losses from the 2008 crash as much as anyone. The program became overloaded without extending funds.

"Following that move, the Job Corps program incurred a budget shortfall of more than $30 million during its 2011 cycle, prompting contract modifications and two brief enrollment stoppages, in addition to other cost-saving measures such as curtailing TV advertising and cutting administrative costs."

www.washingtonpost.com... .769ae3cda27d

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Job Corps, which opened its first center in 1965, was a vanguard of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s war on poverty.

And it failed.

It all failed.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner
Don't worry, the private sector will dash in and save us all....

That's SARCASM by the way...

Remind me again what sector did such a bang up job with Katrina or the flooding last summer?
While the public sector cuts it's way through miles of red tape the average Joe is out there helping his fellow man. A good example is when the private sector had control over things like the police and education system. Look what both have devolved into under public sector/government control.

Sorry but the jig is up...
The federal government was squandered it's last tax payer dollar. Jobs will be lost and budgets will be cut. If you work for the bloated government I suggest you update your resume.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Thank God for publicly traded corporations.

Except that 86.4% or companies with 500 or more employees are privately held.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Did you even READ your own source?

The OP is sound enough, there is no premise that says you need to believe what the White House asserts, (especially this White House) and, as you can see further down in the OP link,

“Subsidized on-the-job training programs are useful in allowing individuals to keep a foothold in the labor market, Aparna Mathur, a labor policy expert at the American Enterprise Institute, told the Daily Caller News Foundation."

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Lemme tell you about Job Corp.... In Kentucky, my Mom has a very large Job Corp Center practically in her back yard. All hours of the night, they sneak off center for alcohol, drugs, girlfriends, etc... My Mom has found huge duffel bags of pint bottles, usually vodka, on the back of her property, dropped off by someone on the outside, to be picked up and smuggled in by a on site dealer. Drugs, gangs and violence are a huge problem. Most of those kids are there on an "or else" kind of deal, meaning that they had to pick between that or prison.
This is a failed program that desperately needs an overhaul.

a year of education and placement at Treasure Lake, perhaps typical for the Job Corps program, costs $45,000 a student, more than tuition at many colleges.

nonprofitquarterly.org...

less than half of Job Corps students finished their job training and found jobs in the field they were trained for, but notes that the Job Corps is popular with Congress. Critics suggest that it is an expensive approach to job training and placement, but supporters counter that the Job Corps does more than job training; it helps troubled young people turn around their lives. The trade association of Job Corps contractors calls on its members to identify “Job Corps Heroes” and truck them to lobbying efforts to keep the program alive,

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

How come when your OP's are invalidated, you don't come back and say you were wrong? You keep rolling with it..

Oh, just like the COUNTLESS threads from Trump supporters where they defend the indefensible to the bitter end, no matter how much proof there is that those threads are wrong?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Shenanigans like the one's you describe happen everywhere, especially where there is a concentration of young people who don't really know any better.

Job Center helped me out a great deal when I was young.

Social programs almost always operate at a loss, like your city buses, a lot of people wouldn't be able to get to work at all without them.

The problem isn't social programs as much as it is the banking system, but that isn't what we're talking about here.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Oh no, not job corps? I know so many teen agers who received education and training and are good citizens now.

Agreed! And I know a lot of people who get money towards paying back college loans by working to help those kids.

This sucks.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So, even if only half of the senior citizens in the program get hired that's a huge improvement to our nation, how is that a bad thing???

Or would you rather have them be poor and miserable and on welfare that we have to pay for?

Republican thinking makes no sense.

And Job Corps is important though a lot of the students are trashy, the whole point is to rehabilitate them. Most are highschool dropouts and many have never had a job and their families live on welfare, so of course many of them aren't going to make it.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Congratulations.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So, what about in my state where it has worked for the throw a ways? Ryan, Kelsey, Stephanie, Peeb, Brandon, ...I can't remember them all. They all got their high school diploma and a place to live. They are the early 30's now and good people.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I like how a lot of people still think we pay the way for those on welfare and such with taxes or something.

You should really learn about how the monetary system actually works.

You might just be appalled if you have enough of an attention span to absorb the truth about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join