It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History - Agora

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The last days of Ancient Rome.

An interesting look through the movie Agora.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: luckskywatcher

For you, I have flagged, starred and bumped. I truly wish I were more interested in the subject matter of the OP! I have set aside however, a link to the vid for whenever I can cut through my ADD problem and really pay attention to it!

It might not ever happen, but damn this thread needs more attention!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Meanings of Agora:

Portuguese: "Now"

English, Greek, Hindi, Spanish: "The literal meaning of the word is "gathering place" or "assembly". The agora was the center of athletic, artistic, spiritual and political life of the city. The Ancient Agora of Athens was the best-known example."

Etymology 1: From the Ancient Greek ἀγορά ‎(agorá).

Etymology 2: From Hebrew אֲגוֹרָה ‎(agorá), from the root א־ג־ר ‎(ʾ-g-r, “forming words relating to hoarding and storing”).

Hey luckskywatcher!
The reason I clicked on your thread title is the word "Agora". My hubby is Portuguese (Azores) and I've been learning a few phrases. I know that "Agora" means "now".

I thought it was interesting that the other languages I checked all had the same definition, referring to gathering, marketplace...and more specifically the city itself.

In French, 'agora' can also translate to 'maintenant'...which means "now, currently".

I have become very interested in how the Azores Islands language is influenced by French, some words are quite similar and some are exactly the same. (I'm talking Quebecois French, not Parisian...there could also be a discrepancy there too)

Anyways, all that rambling on was to basically say that I read your OP because the word "Agora" means "Now" to me...but you have piqued my curiosity so I'm going to watch the video you posted...NOW!!
Thank you,
jacy

agora - Wiktionary

maintenant - Wiktionary

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Agora-Hytapia

An incredible Truth-seeker of all and everything in a time of upheaval in both politics and religion combined in the ongoing cycle of things.

But Hytapia bore only a thirst for learning truth of the surroundings she lived in through science mathematics and philosophy often deemed a pagan but not really any religion or belief only the belief that much in her world needed to be questioned.

Hypatia came to symbolise learning and science which the early Christians identified with paganism. However, among the pupils who she taught in Alexandria there were many prominent Christians. One of the most famous is Synesius of Cyrene who was later to become the Bishop of Ptolemais. Many of the letters that Synesius wrote to Hypatia have been preserved and we see someone who was filled with admiration and reverence for Hypatia's learning and scientific abilities
www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk...

oregonstate.edu...
encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com...
www.smithsonianmag.com...

The Film Agora is a valuable interpretation of how humanity is opposed upon itself through egotism and those that plant the seed in the minds of the masses to enable the very current global issues, illustrating the dogma of division and the long road that faces us all, to at some point realise our cultural sense of reality, that we have more in common, than the differences we vent/invent.

An alternative view of Agora
www.firstthings.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

For you, I have flagged, starred and bumped. I truly wish I were more interested in the subject matter of the OP! I have set aside however, a link to the vid for whenever I can cut through my ADD problem and really pay attention to it!

It might not ever happen, but damn this thread needs more attention!

That was nice of you Thank you Wookie! It's an interesting topic and filled with a History rich in knowlege. The movie was quite good!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

That was quite the analysis! Thank you for that.

Your Hubby is Portugese, that's cool. I'll bet he teaches you all kinds of words! I have attempted to learn Russian which to me is one of the hardest languages to grasp. German is much easier for me though. Did you see the movie? I liked it, but not the ending where they murder her. It's a bit sloppy.

NOW is ever present!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Fingle

A deep and thought provoking write up, I appreciate your commentaries. I can't help but think I would have gotten along well with that woman had I lived during that time in life. She had a brilliant mind, and delve into the secrets of the universe on a level not seen from women at back then.

Thank you for the links I'll have to go check out everyone else's links as well!

edit on 14-3-2017 by luckskywatcher because: (no reason given)

top topics

join