It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Racist food photography': Is social media fuelling 'cultural appropriation'?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Asian food is not Racist, it is delicious.

Churches chicken is not racist, We ate there in Alabama. It's pretty good chicken, the restaurant we went to was all black, After seeing the stares and everyone quiet when we walked in to a table, I just stood up and said " Hey, we heard that the food was good here and wanted to try it" People started their conversations again and didn't stare anymore, I broke the ice. They probably figured my wife and daughter had enough problems with me, they didn't need anymore. That was back in eighty seven.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I don't get it, Asians use chopsticks.....

Is putting a fork next to a plate of spaghetti also racist?

Putting chopsticks upright in a bowl of rice is basically done for the dead.

Well not exactly.

It resembles the upright incence sticks used for bi sun. (Spelling)
At temples, shrines and graves.

I got that lesson many yrs ago.

This cultural appropriation BS is something I'll piss on.

F these wankers. Bunch of fooksoys.

I'd curse them out in other languages but my spell check is no help , neither is wiki.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
What? Huh?

How, why is this a topic?

The ATS downward spiral continues....

A very tiny, microscopic minority of people get all offended and post/write something about "microagressions" or whatever, and the conservatives grab it, freak out and hyperventilate and get triggered far more than anyone else.

OMFG! LOOK AT THIS PC CRAP! OMG! OMG!

No, the world isn't going to hell in a hand basket. We're not all turning into politically correct fascists. It's a handful of dumb idiots being payed WAY to much attention by conservatives trying to freak out their voting base.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Yes, it is silly.

When there is worry about offending people with pictures of food and tools/silverware used to eat it, it's nuts.

Ok jokes aside , context matters, in an American context where fusion and brake from the cultural norms of other cultures is a given, this shouldn't be a thing, as a matter of fact this is the most American of things, it is what makes us American instead of a bunch of Europeans, Africans , Asians and first Nation ppl living in modern day America, however if you are invited into someones home, just do what your host do, don't be afraid to ask, if you are grabbing a quick bite at a local sushi bar and you put Ketchup on your roll..well ... weird buut U DO U! .if you live outside America then the same rules apply as having dinner at someone's home, take your cues from them, go ahead and slurp your soup till your heart's content, an act that got the back of my head slapped for being uncouth.
edit on 2-3-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Since America is such a cultrual mutt of a country, we really don't have "American food". Everything "American" is just a variation of some other ethic dish. Be it Irish, German, Haitian, Latino...it all came from someplace else.

Hell, even hot dogs are just frankfurters on a bun (for the most part). I think maybe hamburgers and french fries are American?

America itself (especially white America) really is the most vanilla and bland culture-less group of people out there. It's no wonder you see so many hippy-dippy white new-ager people trying to invade Native American reservations, traveling to India, proclaiming their love for sushi and anime.

Americans in general are used to appropriating anyone and everyone's culture. WE ARE BORG. We're like a virus that spreads around the world, infecting other nations with our Walmarts, McDonalds, rock music, Levi jeans and processed spray cheese. We snatch up and steal elements of other cultures we like, totally remove most cultural elements and mass-market the hell out of them. We pretty much bastardize everyone else's stuff for mass consumption.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Well said ,Chop Suey and Deep Dish Pizza are American as Apple Pie..

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I don't get it, Asians use chopsticks.....

Is putting a fork next to a plate of spaghetti also racist?

Au Contraire mon capitan.

Smothering your sushi in bbq sauce, eating it with a spork and licking the chip paper that it came in clean, would be racist.

Especially if you had a cheese sausage next to the tofu...

edit on 2-3-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

I cook lamb chops on a comal....

Is that racist or multicultural? I would hate to offend.

Are you creating an organic vortex? Your fibonacci sequence is made out of meat.

*there is a mad scientist in the kitchen, run for your lives!!!*

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Keep the pc bull# away from food .
Damn leftists already messed up everything else with their pc rubbish .

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
IDGAF.... I'm black and from the south. I am a fried chicken connosieur. I also love watermelon.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Sacred geometry is a very important part of cooking.

Looks alone have been proven to affect taste...

Those were paired with a raspberry-chipotle glaze after a good sear.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

a reply to: savemebarry

Sacred geometry is a very important part of cooking.

Looks alone have been proven to affect taste...

It is, and I am most upset that Subway no longer tessellates their cheese slices.

edit on 3-3-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Well, their chicken is half soy... Subway lost my business a small age ago. I spend roughly the same as two footlongs at the deli for a week's worth of sandwiches that put theirs to shame.

Plus, they don't use 5 pepper cheddar. It ruined pepper jack for me.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

They also don't cut out the middle of the bread anymore. They've gone downhill for sure.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Ok this is getting real stupid now.

What's next in microagressions?
Burgers and "Fries"
Fish and "Chips"
"Chinese" fortune cookies
ice cream in a cone
anything getting BBQ'ed other than pig

Here this might help these people (Click here to read about a new class: King5 News )

Yep, I'm thinking the Mayans were right about that whole 2012 thing.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I took pride in my short time there. The Sandwich Artist label actually meant something to me.

Last time I went, the girl made ug faces and said "gross" after a number of the ingredients I requested. She was cringing when she reached for the black olives as if I had asked her to pick up a hand full of scorpions.

So, I haven't been back.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Sacred deliciousness right there !!

I'm still eating 2000 grains of something with turmeric.

Might not be sacred, but it's still raci.. I mean delicious !!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Well, their chicken is half soy... Subway lost my business a small age ago. I spend roughly the same as two footlongs at the deli for a week's worth of sandwiches that put theirs to shame.

Plus, they don't use 5 pepper cheddar. It ruined pepper jack for me.

If I ever make it to the states, I'm gonna invite myself over for dinner.

You are a true chef !!!

... note, this post was made while I'm starving ...

oO

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I always have to ask for those things. olives, jalepinos, EXTRA OLIVES... they seem to think 3 olive slices makes a footlong sufficiently olived...

Fascists..

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
French frys are Belgian

And hamburgers are essentaly brats with no casting

The day someone calls my food racest will be the first time I make roast human ... ungrateful sob I will cook u

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join