It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impromptu evaluation at work this morning.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I guess I'm new to this.

I've worked for my company for eleven years, but that doesn't matter because I have no (((goals))).

So now, my company has adopted a merit based form of employee evaluation, which would be fantastic if they looked at my contribution as a whole, but it is all through the eyes of a douche who has been there for a whole effing year and a half. (Back story, he is the pennacle of alpha male authority). I don't really give a sh!t about monetary appreciation, due to a sense of accomplishment being far more valuable for me spiritually. I have no children. Thus, he and society in general have little to no power over me. He hates that about me because his family is split over 300 miles while he pursues his career.

It is funny when a boss threatens you and the response is "What, are you going to threaten me with freedom from this hell you created?"

Turns out this defense works pretty well, though I don't recommend this strategy to delusional ass-hats that think they are worth more than they actually do.

I still got a raise, though he took great pride in letting me know that I received the smallest raise of all the salaried employees on site.

I have put up with a year and a half of 12 hour shifts that go 4 days, two days off, 4 nights, two days off, on and on, forever forever.

I'm such a subhuman because I refuse to suck the corporate phallus.

On the bright side, my crew respects me, I have never gotten any of them injured, and we still get sh!t done. It's just too bad nobody will ever know because I didn't write three paragraphs of sycophantic buzzword ass-kissery.

See key words "value added", "results oriented", "synergistic", etc.....

Phuk corporate logic. Anybody devoted to this needs to die slow.
edit on 1-3-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am training as a high school science teacher.

The moment there is a critical shortage of science teachers in the UK. In my school there should be 10 and only 4 are qualified, the rest are drafted TA's or teachers brought in from other non science departments.

Its great cause the power is in our hands.....Unless we physically assault someone there is little the management can do as they cant afford to fire anyone.

And if they did call our bluff and fire someone they can walk straight into a another job as a dozen schools would take you on in a heartbeat.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Rare ATS moment.... This is me... I am Bobaganoosh, and I approve this message.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I've had foremen that were cool, but I don't think I've ever had anything higher up that wasn't an egomaniac. Sadly, I think good leaders probably only step into positions when they're needed, so it's almost always going to be the egomaniacs who hold the crown. (It probably has something to do with the importance of the positions and the confidence that the egomaniacs instill in the people doing the hiring.)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

If I had a business, I would hire you and let you "get # done" your own way, as long as it was effective.

This is mostly based on your awesome 'stache!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
Rare ATS moment.... This is me... I am Bobaganoosh, and I approve this message.

You could be my neighbor's twin.

You sound like him too.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Yep it is funny. The people giving the review never see you work but seem to know all about you. I had a boss ask me to put something good about him in the comment section. I asked him why. I left nothing. Egos are a funny thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

ooooo, just wait until they get into '6 sigma' and 'scrum' management training. The gift that keeps on giving. They are so incompetent at their job, others now have to come up with structures that will allow these people the meager skills so they can keep on breathing. Chewing gum and walking is the highest level these people will ever attain and I question if they will ever get that far.

Management should be one of the most strenuous jobs in existence. It should be a job that is filled by people with honor and integrity. Most of the time these positions are filled by the complete opposite. Management is currently filled by the 'yes' people. They never have a creative or original thought in their conformist head. Their job is to keep the sheep quiet enough that the cries don't reach their superiors. It is no wonder that the corporate world is rotting away.

Now the real question is if these people are simply a cross sample of the worker drones or if their 'quality' is directly responsible for the decline of civilization?

Oh well, working under these so called humans allows me to appreciate non work time a lot more.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Now the real question is if these people are simply a cross sample of the worker drones or if their 'quality' is directly responsible for the decline of civilization?

From my travels across the US, meeting these people at their home base, listening to their seminars on "safety", I can say that they are the Stepford Bosses. All traces of common sense has been scoured from their brain-pans. All human characteristics of personality and individuality are gone. They don't know how to be honest and tell their bosses when something can't be done in the time frame allotted. Their college educations have nullified every facet of humanity within them.

And they think they are right... They think they are the future. They think their self sacrifice will support an untenable system of "achieving the impossible with words alone"...

Humanity will have to adopt animalistic dispositions to thwart this inhuman scourge.

I'm just trying to come up with a solution that doesn't involve smoke bombs, a full-face SCBA and a machete.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My husband's company does this annually. They accept "I like where I am in the company and what I do", but it's very disappointing to them. They're an odd duck in the manufacturing world in that they WANT their bottom-rung employees to aim to as high as they can go over the years. They want their employees to excel and move up, so much so they'll even pay for the schooling, if need be it.

When my husband first walked in the door, he was a general operator. Entry-level, but good pay, fun job, etc. At his first evaluation, they asked where he saw himself in a year. He did not say "Right where I am, pay's good and so's the work." He told them "At least a shift supervisor". And you know what? They actually bent over backward & made that happen. His second eval, he said told the guy "A step above you. Middle Management."

He's MM now, in charge of a ton of people, a ton of goods, an assload of paperwork, and loving it. They're considering sending him back to college, on their dime, to make sure he has the degree for a higher position eventually. 2+ years ago, he was just a press operator and now he's one of The Bosses.

It helps that he's solidly Alpha Leader through and through, when he says he's going to lick the deadline on something, or learn to do something he's unfamiliar with, he does it. And continues doing it not because he's brown-nosing, but because anything less is selling your potential short to yourself.

Edit: I'm not rubbing it in, OP, just showing an alternate POV on evaluations and outcomes.
edit on 3/1/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In conclusion, I'll leave you guys with my two favorite songs.

These are subject to change without reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I used to be like that. This was a small company when I started. Now it's a global vampire that just sucks the life out of its people. They did away with service awards, they only recognize you if you die for them.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

ooooo, just wait until they get into '6 sigma' and 'scrum' management training.

Maybe the training is geared for the "rise of the machines".

Fast food chains adding 1000's of Kiosks

Machines don't say no, don't think for themselves, don't question and always make their goals....could be that management no longer needs to be trained for managing people...

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

You're not wrong.

About 20 of my people will be out of a job after the fall maintenance season. They will be replaced with automation.

It disgusts me.

I really hope that when all of these mechanizations are in place, and there is little running the world other than heartless, brainless, corporatist scumbags, that the sun chooses that moment for the next Carrington Event. I would love nothing more than to see the slate cleaned Fight Club style, only naturally of course.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

The boss makes the job. I left one of the best bosses I had for more money, and regretted it for years. A bad boss can leave you so stressed it seeps into your private life. Would you consider looking for a new job to escape him? Sounds like you have a solid record.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I've considered it. Moving to a different company means losing about 20 grand a year. I specialize in weird sh!t.

It's not off the table though. I have a good reputation. I've missed five days of work in my time here.

There are a couple of new startups in the area made by farmers tired of dealing with corporate nonsense. Selling local, ducking global trade and the redundancy of international accredited standards that come with it. (Read ISO, BRC, GSFI, ). All of that bullsh!t.

I know I would be happier, but I need to pay off a thing or two before I can take that kind of hit.

You see, what so few people understand, is that global food safety standards ensure that our best products are sold overseas, and the # that's left over becomes domestic product. It is this way by design.

I'm tired of being the pinky toe of the beast.
edit on 2-3-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

top topics

join