It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who else loves gershwin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
probably one of my favorite composers.

i absolutely LOVE george gershwin...

anyone else

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

He's a genius. I often consider him as the father of Jazz. I think his style is unique in the sense that although he was very jazzy, he also bridge the gap to classical, which is pretty cool. He was way beyond his era.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

He and his brother are two of the best.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

He's a genius. I often consider him as the father of Jazz. I think his style is unique in the sense that although he was very jazzy, he also bridge the gap to classical, which is pretty cool. He was way beyond his era.

he is definitely up there with people i would consider influential to the creation of jazz.

buddy bolden is genuinely considered the father of jazz

en.wikipedia.org...

though jelly roll morton made the claim he was the innovator

en.wikipedia.org...

i guess jelly roll is considered the first person to write down jazz compositions.

sorry to ramble but i love jazz and could talk about it all day.

just learned a little fact last night. jazz used to be called jass. that term came from the smell of the ladies jasmine perfume in 'houses of ill repute'.
somewhere along the way it was changed to jazz because on adverts people would scratch out the j and the adverts would just say ass. thought that was cool.

have you ever listened to weather report? if you love jazz i think you should.

en.wikipedia.org...

ive been fascinated with joe zawinul lately. austrian born conservatory trained pianist. one day early on he hears the word jazz and likes it. pretty much comes to the states and creates jazz fusion.

amazing

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He and his brother are two of the best.

no doubt. i would love to get my hands on some of those player piano rolls he composed
talking originals

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
He's pretty good for a white boy.
But it needs more cow bell.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
For other ATS members like me who are unfamiliar with the term "More cowbell", I googled.

Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell, among others.

ETA: Sorry for the off-topic post but I only know the name Gershwin, but not his music. He plays wonderfully but it is not something I am familiar with.
edit on 25/2/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

while gershwin is one of my favorite composers, hiromi uehara is probably my favorite pianist. she has original compositions too but here she is playing gershwin

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Oh yes Rhapsody in Blue is one of my most favorites tunes ever.

Well for some reason I can't get a video to load.
edit on 25-2-2017 by Hidinout because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Yep, I do! Thanks for Hiromi though, she's new to me.. love her style.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hidinout

Here you go:

I hear this several times a week since United uses it during their aircraft safety demonstration and I still like it. Which is a testament to how good this song is.

edit on 25-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: President, Jacygirl fan club.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I like Gershwin but I got into him from the old Tom and Gerry Cartoons. I dislike a lot of classical music. Both Gershwin and Copeland and vey modern.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

oh man. hiromi is crazy good. there are a couple full shows on youtube that are very good quality.
playing her own stuff and others as well.
she is a beast.

glad you like

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Love Summertime from Porgy & Bess.

It evokes a mood that is really quite unique. It sounds like it should sound happy and hopeful but is tinged with some unspoken sadness.

edit on 25/2/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Hidinout

Here you go:

I hear this several times a week since United uses it during their aircraft safety demonstration and I still like it. Which is a testament to how good this song is.

When I hear Rhapsody in Blue I feel like a pile of mashed potatoes receiving a heaping helping of gravy.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here is a question does anyone under fifty like Gershwin? Or is it an old Fart thing?

new topics

top topics

join