It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump family trips cost taxpayers $11.3m in one month – almost as much as Obama’s cost in a year

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Just replacing Obamacare is going to cost a fortune.

Trump will say what Obama did though, that he inherited a mess and has to spend his way out of it to start.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'ts not weak logic, it's a constitutional requirement.

Conservatives should be all about this.

I'm not one of these Never Trumpers. I'd like to see him do well, I agree with him on certain issues like I have any other POTUS.

What I am not going to do is let conservatives give Trump a free pass, and not hold his feet to the fire when he does something against what you all stand for. Conservatives would be better served for it as well, maybe then there'd be less talk of all these obvious distractions, and more serious commentary and movement on his policy agenda.

~Tenth

I'm not a conservative, or an Alt-Right (I'm the Alt/Alt) but rock on.

edit on 19-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Well according to some of our resident lefties, Trump isn't allowed to say that because Obama got hammered for saying it.

Never mind that Trump is saying it less than a month into his term and Obama was still banging that drum 6 years in, they're totally the same thing!

*eyeroll*

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

If you're interested in actual factual amounts ...

Obama added $7.917 trillion, Bush II added $5.849 trillion, etc.

US Debt by President

Of course, as you pointed out, there are dozens of factors involved, not just some simplistic attempt at treating the national economy like a student checkbook.

Also of note, in regard to our "deficits" .... we owe about 65% of it to ourselves.

And while I agree that the debt levels have reached apalling levels and should be addressed directly and strongly ... it's just not the doomsday scenario that some lines of rhetoric claim.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If you hold no left or right political leanings, then all the more reason for you to hold an elected official's feet to the fire when they screw up.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

That's a given.

I'm more interested in what the Cult say than Trump...
As with the topic at hand, they were quick to point fingers at Obama's vacationing and golfing, both currently dwarfed by Trump in only 1 month...

And seeing as BlackFox wanted to discuss the National Debt...

Well he asked for it really.

As a side note, $17t of that $19t debt is mortgage debt, student debt and credit card debt...
How'd Obama manage that?

Ho Hum.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Where was your outrage with expenses of the Obama family? roflmao

You do realize President Trump is NOT taking a Presidential paycheck like Barry did right?

Even if it was true that Trump wasn't accepting compensation for his employment, his piddle 400K doesn't even cover one day of the security at Trump Towers.

He pays for security at Trump tower. I think many here are confused about the secret service. A detail is assigned to a person for example his wife and son may have about 6 agents assigned to them. Trump closer to 10. These expenses do not change no matter where they are located. The only expense taxpayers would have is transportation costs. What we should be asking is why 3 trips for airforce one to go to Florida should cost 11 million thats alot of jet fuel for a short trip.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You certainly aren't going to get anywhere by doing proper math and using facts now are you?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Obama isn't taking your money anymore

Wrong.
He's making plenty and we still supply him with a security detail, staff and travel expenses, ON TOP of what he's paid.

The Former Presidents Act, enacted in 1958, provides living former presidents with a pension, office staff and support, funds for travel, Secret Service protection, and mailing privileges. It also provides benefits for presidential spouses. Currently, former presidents are awarded a pension equal to the salary of cabinet secretaries, which totaled $203,700 for the 2015 calendar year and was boosted by $2,000 for the current calendar year. Read more: thepoliticalinsider.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I'll let everyone else sweat the small stuff. Here's what I'm waiting for:

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Until anyone can show how Trump is a Disaster Capitalist (invested in profiting from global disaster), or he proves himself to be just another American Imperialist, for as long as that's the case all the while the Ruling Establishment's stooges are at war with him, Trump is not just like Bush & Obama (all of whom are Ruling Establishment minions and tried to stop Trump).

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Should Obama be treated differently from every other ex-President?

IF so, why?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I would agree with you.

His big make or break it moment will be the economy. I just hope that when the Gov offices start spitting out numbers he doesn't start calling those fake as well because he doesn't like whats on the reports.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the safety of the POTUS — whoever that happens to be — than I am about trimming a little fat in the travel budget, generally speaking.

There are instances where it could be construed as an excessive expense. If we are going to be paying $11 million a month, EVERY month because the President wants to spend the weekend at his country club (where he's got members paying through the nose to gawk at him meeting with foreign heads of state and to take photos with the man holding the "nuclear football") then that could get rather costly. If the First Lady doesn't move to the White House, we'll be paying how many millions a year to secure the residence in Trump tower?

Is that excessive? That's certainly a conversation to be had.

What I cannot abide by is the utter hypocrisy of the same folks who couldn't wait to rush to the Internet posting JW links about Obama pretending that it's somehow now unfair to do the same with Trump. (and notice, it won't be the partisan hacks at JW who are keeping tabs)

It's also something worth mentioning to those folks who made such a big deal of President Trump turning down the salary. The President's salary is the least of the expenses the tax payers face and it pales by comparison also to what the President and his family stand to earn above what they otherwise would have due to his election. If you want to argue that point too, I'll direct you to Melania Trump's lawsuit against Daily Mail citing $150 million in damages for loss of income made possible by the "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" of being First Lady.

Melania Trump re-files $150mn lawsuit against Daily Mail for reputational damag

The libel spread by Daily Mail cost the US President’s spouse the “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” to profit from her personal brand, the suit alleges. Melania Trump is seeking damages of $150 million.

“Plaintiff had the unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as an extremely famous and well-known person, as well as a former professional model and brand spokesperson, and successful businesswoman, to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year term during which Plaintiff is one of the most photographed women in the world. These product categories would have included, among other things, apparel, accessories, shoes, jewelry, cosmetics, hair care, skin care and fragrance,” according to the lawsuit.

I digress, I could have simply stated that turnabout is fairplay and been done with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You do realize President Trump is NOT taking a Presidential paycheck like Barry did right?

Maybe he should take that salary...

Because apparently none of his corporations can afford to fork out the money to pay for private security services when one of his chief employee family members have to travel abroad on business trips... business trips that have absolutely nothing to do with the presidency of the United States.

Trump's corporations have business dealings all over the world.

That's going to add up to a whole hell of a lot of coin for the taxpayers over the next four years if the Trump family doesn't step up to the plate and pay for their own business expenses (security detail) when travelling abroad on behalf of their various corporate business operations.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
From the article:

The three Mar-a-Lago trips in Palm Beach cost the federal treasury around $10m, based on figures used in an October government report analysing White House travel.

Based on figures from when Obama was still President... nuff said.
edit on 2/19/2017 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It's not exactly a secret. Yes, salaries stay the same whether the person is in Washington or Texas.

The additional costs come from food and lodging for the couple hundred people that travel with the President but aren't paid for out of pocket by the First Family.

Air Force One costs about $200k an hour to run. Plus all the transportation costs for the motorcades and so on.

You're welcome to ask about it, because there's all kinds of articles that explain why it's so #'ing expensive for the President to go anywhere.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'll let everyone else sweat the small stuff. Here's what I'm waiting for:

Until anyone can show how Trump is a Disaster Capitalist (invested in profiting from global disaster), or he proves himself to be just another American Imperialist, for as long as that's the case all the while the Ruling Establishment's stooges are at war with him, Trump is not just like Bush & Obama (all of whom are Ruling Establishment minions and tried to stop Trump).

I'm utterly amazed at how often you link back to, and quote, yourself. You're an absolutely shameless self-promoter.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Not the point and you know it. Don't try to move the goalposts. It was said he is no longer taking taxpayer money.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Lock them up, lock them up!!

That's what you get for voting in a guy who loves the taste of wedding cake.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Gryphon66

Not the point and you know it. Don't try to move the goalposts. It was said he is no longer taking taxpayer money.

I'm not moving any goal posts. Did you see the question mark at the end?

If you choose not to answer a simple question, politely placed, that's perfectly fine, but let's dispense with the misused forensic terms, if you will.

Much obliged.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join