It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When A Politician Says 'Fake News' And A Newspaper Threatens To Sue Back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is a fairly significant event: a politician called a news story "fake news" and the news outlet is threatening to sue him to prove that the story was fake.

So what was the "fake news?"

The newspaper called for him to do his job!

But in this case, there's a twist. The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel in Colorado is accusing state Sen. Ray Scott of defamation and threatening to sue. If filed, legal experts said it would be the first suit of its kind, potentially setting a legal definition for what is considered fake news and what is not.

The dispute began with an opinion column in the newspaper supporting a bill that would give journalists and others greater access to public records. Scott, who represents Grand Junction and serves as assistant majority leader in the state Senate, postponed a hearing and vote on the bill.

The column urged him to move it forward. "We call on our own Sen. Scott to announce a new committee hearing date and move this bill forward."
source

The publisher's still mulling it over and may move forward. There's some question about whether this is a good idea or not:

Aside from whether there's a legal case against such accusations, there's the question of whether it's a good idea for a news organization to combat its detractors in court.

Bringing cases like this could ultimately backfire on the press because legal arguments made in such cases could later be used against them, said George Freeman, the executive director of the nonprofit Media Law Resource Center.

"Then the next time you're arguing something is opinion to win your case, maybe the court will look at this case and say, 'No ...' it's similar to this case where the judge decided it's a fact," Freeman said.

And this is also tied up in partisan politics. The Democrats want the bill to move ahead, but Mr. Scott doesn't seem to be very eager to do any legislating.

Stay tuned, and get the popcorn ready. The law may determine the merits of whether something really is fake or not.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

As an American citizen, whomever gets to say whatever they want. Also, opposition is able to speak in return.

I could call you a liar till I'm blue in the face even faced with facts and supporting arguments.
If they don't want to be labeled, they should stick to facts and let them speak for themselves, despite what wing or party one finds themselves on.
edit on 19-2-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I see a loop hole in this already . Instead of calling them fake news just call them very fake news ...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The MSM are a bunch of dirty tabloid yellow journalism liars whom have been instrumental in suckering our people into perpetual wars via the collective delusional state they've been keeping us all hookwinded under our entire lives.

How anyone can defend them at this point is a slap in the face of all of humanity. And don't act like you dont know any better.
edit on 19-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Again Im happy for this guy to get sued as it sets a precedent.
There will be alot more cases of being able to prove that the news is "fake news" than the opposite.

If I was the media I would tread very carefully when suing people for defamation

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
All about deep state perpetual war, Byrd. Gawd, where's your humanity and common sense?

Bush wants War on false pretext, MSM tells us to support. This isn't a time to be partisan but, rather, adults. And from my Bush example I demonstrate it's not partisan. Bliss is exactly right.

Can't you see our disgusting and destructive foreign policy never changes and the chaos just spreads no matter the color of the party for at least the last 20 years of war?

Why do you think that is? Aren't you sick of it? This is our chance to change it. Check him out more, he's not as bad as you think. This newsie says MSM Fake News is a danger to our society.

edit on 19-2-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
call it what it is - propaganda .

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
That's ripe. An editor of a newspaper threatening to sue over a politician's exercise of free speech.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
This isn't even news though - it's an opinion written as an op/ed.

This newspaper is hardly the mainstream media:

Grand Junction Daily Sentinal
In July, 2009, the newspaper was sold to Kansas-based Seaton Publishing Co., and a new Grand Junction Media Co. was formed. Jay Seaton became publisher of The Daily Sentinel and executive vice president of Grand Junction Media. His brother, Ned Seaton, is president. Their father, Ed Seaton, is chairman. The Seaton family can trace its roots in journalism back two centuries to the National Intelligencer in Washington, D.C., in 1812. Seaton Publishing is a family business based in Manhattan, Kansas, that publishes the daily newspaper in that city. It's associated with family-owned newspaper companies in Arkansas City and Winfield, Kansas; Alliance and Hastings, Nebraska; Spearfish, South Dakota; and Sheridan, Wyoming, in addition to radio stations in Manhattan, Kansas.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
This isn't even news though - it's an opinion written as an op/ed.

This newspaper is hardly the mainstream media:

Grand Junction Daily Sentinal
In July, 2009, the newspaper was sold to Kansas-based Seaton Publishing Co., and a new Grand Junction Media Co. was formed. Jay Seaton became publisher of The Daily Sentinel and executive vice president of Grand Junction Media. His brother, Ned Seaton, is president. Their father, Ed Seaton, is chairman. The Seaton family can trace its roots in journalism back two centuries to the National Intelligencer in Washington, D.C., in 1812. Seaton Publishing is a family business based in Manhattan, Kansas, that publishes the daily newspaper in that city. It's associated with family-owned newspaper companies in Arkansas City and Winfield, Kansas; Alliance and Hastings, Nebraska; Spearfish, South Dakota; and Sheridan, Wyoming, in addition to radio stations in Manhattan, Kansas.

Dont put anyone down. Some folks dont know the difference and you may hurt their feelings

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Hmm. "Fake news" makes up "facts." This was an opinion piece, not presented as news. Seems the basic facts are not in question. Also seems like many members here cannot distinguish betweens 'facts' and the interpretation thereof. The ignorance and hate on ATS overall are overwhelming.

[Senate Majority Leader Chris Holbert, a Republican, said] ..."In this instance, it seems like there are differing perspectives on the same reality."

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Doesn't seem like much a issue. Paper reports delay in voting on a bill not even asking the person delaying it why. Politician hits back at paper. Papers feelings are hurt when hit piece gets slammed by Politician. Maybe more in depth reporting rather than op-ed would have fixed this. At best it was slanted journalism. Point Senator.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
from op ed

SB 40 deserves a fair hearing before the full Senate. We call on our own Sen. Scott to announce a new committee hearing date and move this bill forward. Open records shouldn’t be a partisan issue. We have a difficult time understanding why anyone would oppose easier access to government data, which belongs to the public.

FB follow up after calling them fake news.

The very liberal GJ Sentinel is attempting to apply pressure for me to move a bill. They have no facts, as usual, and tried to call me out on SB 40 know as the CORA bill. They haven't contacted me to get any information on why the bill has been delayed but choose to run a fake news story demanding I run the bill.

REKT.

Yea if something came up, no one contacted me, and then ran this piece that included the first quote. I might call them fake news as well. Op-Ed acting like they are on a moral crusade without any facts. pathetic.
edit on 19-2-2017 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

As an American citizen, whomever gets to say whatever they want. Also, opposition is able to speak in return.

I could call you a liar till I'm blue in the face even faced with facts and supporting arguments.
If they don't want to be labeled, they should stick to facts and let them speak for themselves, despite what wing or party one finds themselves on.

As an American citizen, if you slander or libel me (which are crimes) I have the right to seek redress in the courts. In the story above, they stuck to the facts and then called the lawmaker to "do his job."

For that, they were labeled "fake."

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I hope they sue him for every penny he has. Then some people will have to think twice about their accusations or perhaps speak in code like 1Inner city and Liberal".

When will this crap end? If a man bites a dog that is fake news! If a dog bites a man that is also fake news!. It just depends on who is doing he accusations.

Everything sees to be fake news.

Papers can offer a correction but this is often buried in the body of the paper as opposed to the front page where the fake news was shown. Anyway the king of fake news Donald Trump who was big in th Birther fake news is now yelling fake news at every opportunity!

We are loosing the plot people

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

I accuse every single mainstream media of being fake news and pushing a false narrative.

Sue me.

join