It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini magnet packs world record punch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Speaking of guitars...

Nigel Tuffnel, legendary guitarist and virtuoso, explains to Marti DeBergi that his amps are better than other guitar player's guitar amps because they get stuck on "10" and "where do you go?" Nigel can go to "11" which is one more than ten, aint it?

Those crazy cats at Florida's National High Magnetic Field Laboratory decided that being second best to China's 38.5 T resistive magnet (regular, continuous running magnet) was not good enough. They were tired of being stuck at "10" with no where to go from there.

Lab officials said Tuesday they tested a 41.4-tesla magnet. That beats the old mark for resistive magnets which was held by a 38.5 tesla magnet in China. A tesla is a measure of magnetic field strength.

The push at the Florida State University facility to create a record magnet was called "Project 11."

phys.org, Aug. 22, 2017 - It goes to 11: Florida lab sets new magnet strength record.

Nice to see a sense of humor! I knew what they were referencing before I pulled up the story.

Now to get that new magnet set up in the hybrid magnet back in OP (it was only 35 T or so) and see what they can do!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

You are very smart to be fascinated...

I so wish i could say more than that right now, but i can't for legal reasons...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Go to the site listed in the wiki, look at some of their other pstents, cry tears of geek joy

<< 1   >>

join