It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be any new serious religions?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I tend to agree. Whatever that "something" would be would have to be global and practically simultaneously. It would have to be something that really left people scratching their heads.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Of course there will be. Some time in the future a leader/king will build upon the religions we have now in order to create a new one. Islam did it with Judaism and Christianity, Christianity did it with Judaism, and Judaism did it with the multiple pagan religions and cults that came before it.

Look up 'cultural diffusion' to get a good idea of how it will happen. Take parts of one culture or multiple cultures and use them as a foundation for the new religion.

That's why all religions seem to share aspects and concepts with each other, it's because over the centuries different powers conquer other cultures and use some of their customs and myths in order to ease their transition into the new society.
edit on 2/14/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: Belcastro

Climate Change and Politics seems to be doing fine with being substitutes for some people as a new religion if what I see happening is to be believed as anything other than insanity?

I have to agree with this post.

People congregated in small groups which later grew and grew to small villages and towns and so forth, settling in one place and waiting for the seasons to pass by. The clever ones who noticed the sun rising and the rain falling plants grew and agriculture was born, those who noticed the patterns were most likely generally the smart ones and probably had a vague explanation for why it was happening. Religion was born.
Long story short, religion was a way to explain situations, how to act according to certain social meetings, etc.
If you ever read the bible it's basically just a 'how to' book on desert living 2000 years ago.
Of course with a bit of manipulation and muscle [The kings, warlords, rulers, etc] anything can be twisted in the favor of one large group over another, it became a political tool, which started to become obsolete with the fast growing zeitgeist of math, technology and science.
Individuals became aware, our minds evolved, and education made everyone "smart", democracy soon came in full force, and now we have large groups of educated people making big decisions. Politics have taken over religion.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I doubt any new religions will spring up, they will just get bigger and better at what they do

I think x men, superman and wonder woman are leading somewhere alternative, I think an alien based religion is on the cards as well as a ecumenical, Star Wars type thing "the force" embracing all things should launch within a decade or two.
Secularism is definetly turning into a religion of materialism, not far from organising and having rules for those who want to be in the in crowd

I guess your term "religion" probably needs an explanation

Like it or not, all people have and will always cling to some faith statements to justify themselves to others.
It's interesting to watch evolutionism rise as an intolerant religion, a religion used to oppress, just like every religion before it

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just what world needs more bloody religion . Worlds already bolloxed up far too much because of religions .

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

The new skeleton for a new religion has always been present in human civilizations. Almost every undeveloped peoples when contacted by a more advanced group wants a piece of the newcomer's pie. The common factor whether that magnetic attraction of the have nots to the haveshaves is strong or weak degree depends upon the separation of sophistication between the two cultures/societies.

During World War II, some primitive South Sea natives viewed the coming large ships, airplanes and shared supplies as a miracle beyond their usual dreams. Virtually, manna from heaven. At some point, the term Cargo Cult was applied to visible actions, beliefs and rituals from the natives toward the mighty ones. So a more or less physically induced belief in an appreciable amount of higher power is all that it takes to breed a new religion from basic human minds.

Such as it is with the ETs of the UFOs. Rather than the tents, clothing and C-rations of WWII, today we of the masses want alleviation from a lack of enough scientific prowess to rule our part of the heavens. Coupling with ETs will surely gain us that will it not? --It will not as the islanders never got equal footing with the Marines, nor will we even come close to being masters of the galaxy, but we don't care. We just want our better piece of that pie to parcel out to family and friends while beating our enemies to death with it (if we so decide).

So, NO! No new religion, simply the same old stuff coming to you in a UFO rather than a C-ration.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Politics and religion are arguably the two most divisionary philosophical topics in the world. Frankly, I don't know which has caused more harm over the centuries.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighWizard
I could easily see a single, overarching, all powerful A.I. being worshiped as a god.

The singularity could lead to humans having a new religion centered around the awe of this new consciousness.

Who knows?

Yes, yes that's what I was thinking.

If we are our own (future, more advanced) creators, I'd imagine that our future selves are part (if not all) A.I So yes, when we find that out, Allah God and the other 2998 gods can go stick it

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don't think so because life is too good in western societies. No shortage of food. No shortage of housing. No shortage of medical supplies. When life is good, people do not seek comfort.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join