It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If U.S. asks foreigners for their passwords, American travelers may face the same"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"If U.S. asks foreigners for their passwords, American travelers may face the same"

“If we adopt it, other countries are going to adopt it,” said David Kaye, a law professor at the University of California at Irvine. “Americans who travel better be prepared to provide this to other governments.”

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly laid out the proposal this week on Capitol Hill and again in an interview with National Public Radio that aired on Thursday.

Under the plan, Kelly said, border agents would ask visitors “to give us a list of websites that they visit and the passwords to get on those websites to see what they’re looking at.” Agents would also examine “what they tweet, cellphones, cellphone conversations or cellphone contact books to where we can run them against databases: telephone numbers, people, names.”

Source - If U.S. asks foreigners for their passwords, American travelers may face the same
Thoughts? Sounds like it may even pertain to handing over information when using this site. Image that, what a can of worms to open when the true threats hide all of their information-see San Bernardino shooter's wife and social media terrorism support.

If unaware of what this pertains to with the U.S. asking for passwords, In Dec. I had shared this;

The US Customs and Border Protection has started demanding that foreign travelers hand over Facebook, Twitter, and other social media account information upon entering the country, according to a report from Politico. The new policy follows a proposal laid out back in June and applies only to those travelers who enter the US temporarily without a visa through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, or ESTA, process. The goal, the government says, is to “identify potential threats,” a spokesperson tells Politico.

US government starts asking foreign travelers to disclose their social media accounts
www.abovetopsecret.com...

News sites sharing this:
MiamiHerald
Baltimore Sun
Lexington Herald Leader
Idaho Statesman
edit on 10-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: more news sites

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What if you dont have social media accounts?

Oh, I guess if they deep integrate the NSA into the scheme they'd know.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There is no way this can be real. there is oppressive, then there is next level authoritarianism. My United States will never be that level of BS. Thats a amped up 1984 level dictatorship. China doesn't even care to know that much about people they actively oppress.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sure I'll give them my passwords. Maybe the other governments will offer me a job when they read all my stuff.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
"oh wow! his bank account was the same password as his facebook! He won't mind if I look here too..."

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

US is never going to be the same we are been run by anybody else but the American legal citizens sadly that is the truth, while we are into the system and have to prove who we are for everything we do, checking bank accounts, voting, SS, and the long list of paperwork we do on any matters of health and consumerism, illegals and foreigners get to walk free of that burden.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Like they don't already have access to US citizens stuff already... Hahaha

Foreigners and foreign social media databases are different can of international worms right? I guess depending on the services involved internationally. I'm sure It's easier and cheaper, if they just give you the info rather than dealing with the leg work and possible international incident.

I don't see a problem with this. It would speed up the immigration process a lot if a case worker could just scroll through a social media feed or search profiles for trigger words like "kill America" or something like that. Just a thought developing a computer system that keeps everything private but just pings/reveals social posts that have certain words or phrases would work. That would maintain some privacy for the immigrants but give the government and people a better idea of what the person's intentions in our country is. Those without social media would be stuck doing it the old slow way. That would be progress both sides could agree on.
edit on 10-2-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
just lie and tell them you don`t use social media.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If I ever travel and they ask me, I will give them a link to this .........

Marx Brothers - Password Scene - Horse Feathers - Chico and Groucho

link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard
Like they don't already have access to US citizens stuff already... Hahaha

Foreigners and foreign social media databases are different can of international worms right? I guess depending on the services involved internationally. I'm sure It's easier and cheaper, if they just give you the info rather than dealing with the leg work and possible international incident.

I don't see a problem with this. It would speed up the immigration process a lot if a case worker could just scroll through a social media feed or search profiles for trigger words like "kill America" or something like that. Just a thought developing a computer system that keeps everything private but just pings/reveals social posts that have certain words or phrases would work. That would maintain some privacy for the immigrants but give the government and people a better idea of what the person's intentions in our country is. Those without social media would be stuck doing it the old slow way. That would be progress both sides could agree on.

With a click of keys these governments will probably know more about me than I know about me. Remember, in most countries it is not illegal for their governments to look at social media. Supposedly Obama made it so they cannot look at our social media, but that only protects minorities I guess. Since when Obama came here to speak they did a big social media search a couple of weeks before he came and that triggered a local person to get investigated. Sure it was a well planned coincidence.

But hey, he was not a Muslim or a minority so it was all right. After all, the controvercial stuff he said showed he was a little nuts, but we knew that already. He is harmless.
edit on 10-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

What if they ask for proof that you don't use social media ?

edit on Feb-10-2017 by xuenchen because: ouch

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Typical pathetic nonsense!

I walk in to the US. Give them my new phone and my new laptop. They check it all and allow me to enter.

I go to an internet cafe, download via encryption from my home computer.

Now I have the plans to take over the world.

Such stupid people who cannot see how easy it is to circumvent their silly little border checks.

Now tell me, how long will it be before the Police get to do this.

Never! Ha!

One little bit at a time, just like stepping stones until you have become what you fear the most.

Stupid is as stupid does.

P

edit on 10/2/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm sure there's a connection! They can select all ip numbers in certain zip codes and search social media access from there, then individual social media accounts associated with those IPs with a couple clicks. And recently, the last administration made it easier legally for the nsa to spy on us too.. so we have that going for us.

If they want to search foreigners so be it.. "Welcome to America!" I say.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ROBOTNINJADRAGON

"oh wow! his bank account was the same password as his facebook! He won't mind if I look here too..."

Exactly what I was thinking. Is the U.S. and other countries going to be held liable if someone hacks into their bank accounts? I wouldn't be surprised if Home Land Security isn't already doing this without knowing someone's password. I'm sure they employ enough computer geeks that can easily search the web for anything suspicious. Our country hacks into other countries who probably have some sophisticated fire walls. To think they don't run a check on the web just by a person's name, country origin and some other information, isn't giving the U.S. much credit in the area of Cyber spying.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Any half assed hacker can get all the info they need with a $50 skimmer. Privacy in the real world is an illusion.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

I'd assume then you'd become more suspect. Maybe it's best to use a work/public related account vs your actual social media accounts.
Why not? All the best politicians separate their public and personal lives.
(yes, sarc)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I dont use any social media. Not my problem .

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Exactly.

In a sense, yes this is nothing new when it comes to social media snooping: "Facebook warrants" were not unheard of, neither are just in general snooping on them by law enforcement to actual harassment.

Employment that asked people for FB passwords caught a bit of flack for it.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

My initial thought is "haha, you think they need your password?"

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The US, the UK, others may have the access. Surely not all countries that may end up requiring the info will. Depends on if the database can access US ones, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join